1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received mine this morning (evening here now). On inspecting my initial thoughts are:

1. The hatted regular sculpt is actually pretty good. Vacant lifeless stare is no different to any Hot Toys I have so I'm not marking down there. It isn't as bug eyed as some pics make out or like the Han pics.

2. I'm not that fond of the unhatted head. The overall shape just doesn't work for me and it is a little bug eyed. There also seems to be way too much hair. I know Luke had a full head of hair, but I think this guy has been to Advance Hair. The expresion even seems like he is going "Yeah yeah". I can't see myself using this sculpt and much prefer the Hot Toys Bespin Luke sculpt.

3. Ex head is actually pretty good. It's wonky eyed and messed up. Just like a Wampa punched face should be. If I can set up the right environment I can see myself using this one.

4. Hands are all nice. Not a lot to be said about them. There's enough with the right sort of grips.

5. I quite like his Blaster.

6. The base is pretty cool and looks great. It might be a turn off for those who like smaller bases or the classic style base. But even Hot Toys is going elaborate big bases now.

7. Not a fan of the packaging. Classic fold out box with two halves. Mine seems misaligned and doesn't close or open properly. Guess it's lucky I'll be putting it in storage.

8. We've all seen the gaping vest, but I'm pretty sure some futzing and minor stretching can fix this.

9. Lastly, my biggest gripe, what the hell were they thinking with that light sabre? The sparkles look ridiculous and it seems to be about an inch too long. Again, luckily I doubt I will use the lit one.

Over all the good outweighs the bad and I'm happy I got him. There's no good light here at the moment so sorry for no pics.

Luke arrived today and I ****ing love it!

Pics:

IMG_1134.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg
Full_Size_Render.jpg

Me too. That Rit Tan dye is perfect for the vest by the way. Dipped mine yesterday. :duff

Did you use it hot? How long did you dip it for?

The SSC vest really needs this and it's drastically different from the Hasbro color?

2. I'm not that fond of the unhatted head. The overall shape just doesn't work for me and it is a little bug eyed. There also seems to be way too much hair. I know Luke had a full head of hair, but I think this guy has been to Advance Hair. The expresion even seems like he is going "Yeah yeah". I can't see myself using this sculpt and much prefer the Hot Toys Bespin Luke sculpt.

That's a bummer to hear. I wonder if there's much variation between individual heads - or not.:lol

I wonder if it can be worked on at all (people really gave HT Indy a workout it seems) to alter the shape, the hair and the eyes.

Luke arrived today and I ****ing love it!

Pics:
View attachment 174711

That is one of the cooler pics I've seen on this forum.:clap

Some progress. Painted, dyed. Futzing and weathering next... I did a snow test on binoculars..
2_zps5atnuzaq.jpg

1_zpse9zhlwpy.jpg

Did you use it hot? How long did you dip it for?

The SSC vest really needs this and it's drastically different from the Hasbro color?

Just 3 - 4 minutes in near boiling water, very easy. Check it at intervals, it really soaks up the dye, so be careful it doesn't get too dark.

Last edited:
Some progress. Painted, dyed. Futzing and weathering next... I did a snow test on binoculars..

Just 3 - 4 minutes in near boiling water, very easy. Check it at intervals, it really soaks up the dye, so be careful it doesn't get too dark.

Thanks - I think I actually already have that dye from another project. The most noticeable improvement you've made to the figure is how he looks skinnier. This one's clearly going to be like the snowie - everyone says "but it's cold!" meaning the gloves should be huge and the figure a bit overstuffed and "warm" looking when the snowies are actually very lean and so is Luke, even in their "winter gear."

I have a spare narrow slim body I may try for this figure.

Thanks - I think I actually already have that dye from another project. The most noticeable improvement you've made to the figure is how he looks skinnier. This one's clearly going to be like the snowie - everyone says "but it's cold!" meaning the gloves should be huge and the figure a bit overstuffed and "warm" looking when the snowies are actually very lean and so is Luke, even in their "winter gear."

I have a spare narrow slim body I may try for this figure.
yeah, I'm gonna tackle the gloves/mits as well. Luke wasn't at all bulky in his snow gear. Trying to get him done before my his tauntaun arrives. :lol

yeah, I'm gonna tackle the gloves/mits as well. Luke wasn't at all bulky in his snow gear. Trying to get him done before my his tauntaun arrives. :lol

Yeez - just compared your dyed pic with the undyed pic (same lighting) from several days ago - wow what a difference. The undyed is sort of a grey/taupe without much hint of that slightly salmon tan it should be.

And bummer - the Rit dye I have is taupe. I'll bill SSC for the newly purchased tan dye.

Yeez - just compared your dyed pic with the undyed pic (same lighting) from several days ago - wow what a difference. The undyed is sort of a grey/taupe without much hint of that slightly salmon tan it should be.

And bummer - the Rit dye I have is taupe. I'll bill SSC for the newly purchased tan dye.
Yeah, it makes a huge difference. the Rit Tan dye is perfect. I painted the hat to correct colour as well, it should be almost the same as his sleeves. It starts to feel a lot more Luke from Empire when you change these two simple things.
Before:

2_zpsxvcplawb.jpg

3_zps83bei4fu.jpg

After:

2_zps5atnuzaq.jpg

1_zpse9zhlwpy.jpg

Looks awesome. The only problem with dyeing these 1/6 clothes is that the stitching never seems to take the dye, and it "foregrounds" the stitching. Not sure why (isn't fabric just cotton threads too?) Certainly not as obvious as the bright blue stitching on the Ultimate 1/4 Han Hoth's brown coat though.:lol

Yeah, that can be a real problem, it depends on how much synthetic fibre is in the thread. It's not a problem on this vest though, the threading isn't really any more obvious than before, because SS had darkened the recesses in the fabric, so it always popped a bit.

Now.. trying to get the boots kinda like this (I know Hamill wore a variety of different boots on Hoth, but I like these a lot).

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-24%20at%2012.36.07_zpsd0pi0hzs.png

WRT to Rit Dye, check the color charts on their site for ratio recipes. When the dye is watered down to the correct ratio it's much easier to achieve the color you want without having to be accurate down to the millisecond for time. Still not sure if I'll get this guy, but if I do, I've already got that Tan dye (among others) on hand. ;)

I've been thinking that someone with a super fine brush and really steady hand could also paint over the stitching both to subdue the color of the thread as well as make its pattern tighter.

Boil some water, put it in a bowl, pour in a splash of dye. Dip. Do you like it? yes, rinse it in cold water. Need more? dip it again. etc etc.

You HAVE to mix it with very hot water to make it color fast.

RIT dye (liquid) is incredibly simple. The threads on this are not an issue IMO. Painting over threads (especially on a complex color like this) is a very bad idea IMO. they don't have "clean" edges, and have depth, you will draw more attention to the stitching and you will end up with a mess.

Last edited:
I'd be avoiding the Bespin boots completely for the Hoth Luke - what's wrong with the SSC ones, less articulation?

Don't know man, personally, I don't like soft rubber molded boots. And they are pretty inaccurate. I think with a bit of work the Bespin boots can work, they have the right basic structure?

Last edited:
Back