1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, man. How is your Vader coming along, did you get a HT suit? I assume the hurricane helmet will still take some time.

I actually got out a ruler yesterday, and measured the ratio of the height above his belt (to the tip of the dome) vs the area beneath it (to the ground). :lol Used several screenshots and on set pics where his whole body is visible. Of course it can vary due to different lenses, camera position, poses, and actual belt placements, but I found it was surprisingly consistent, and pretty much in line with my current setup.

I will look into the idea again of making my own inner robe this weekend. That plus the gloves is pretty much the only thing left to do. :) Oh, and shorten the skirt of the dome a bit more.

Nah, nothing yet. Hurricane actually just pm'd me today tho so maybe soon! Held off on the HTs jumpsuit as I was gnna wait to see how the SS deluxe re-release will look.

As for yours, can't argue with the measurements lol. Especially when you've got mostly kaiyodo parts. I thought you finished the gloves? The SS with fabric? And good luck with the inner robe. Sounds complicated with those folds. But you came this far, don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

Which facemask/dome is that?

It's an unmodified kaiyodo mask, with SSV V2 dome with shortened shirt.

Nah, nothing yet. Hurricane actually just pm'd me today tho so maybe soon! Held off on the HTs jumpsuit as I was gnna wait to see how the SS deluxe re-release will look.

As for yours, can't argue with the measurements lol. Especially when you've got mostly kaiyodo parts. I thought you finished the gloves? The SS with fabric? And good luck with the inner robe. Sounds complicated with those folds. But you came this far, don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

For the gloves, I want to do some more "sleeves" (so I don't always have switch the fabric between hands), and improve the ones I made. Currently I attached the fabric with blu-tack to the back of the hand, which gets messy. I'll probably sculpt the back of the hand, and then attach the fabric with double sided tape.

Still have to figure out the inner robe, yeah. Could go the lforigno route and just get the folds through futzing. Or I'll sew them somehow, or even use fabric glue.

Nothing wrong with the figure. I would probably lower the chest box a little and leave the rest alone, as occasionally it sat a little lower in ESB. Also. To fix the dome, you should try tilting it more over the the left at the bottom (right in picture). Very rarely was it tilted in the direction you have it on your figure. It was mainly straight or titled to the left.

ESB - Original.jpg

Looks really cool. :) You ca see the amount of effort that has gone into it. Well done !

If anyone has any leads on a set of Kaiyodo chest armour and shoulder bells I'd love to know. :)

It's an unmodified kaiyodo mask, with SSV V2 dome with shortened shirt.

Oh, great - nice to see it all looks so good. I have a box ready to go with a Hurricane ESB facemask plus some SSC and Hasbro domes, plus a complete Kaiyodo set and all the other bits I've assembled over the past year (including HT bodysuit.) Just need to find the time to put it all together.

Nothing wrong with the figure. I would probably lower the chest box a little and leave the rest alone, as occasionally it sat a little lower in ESB. Also. To fix the dome, you should try tilting it more over the the left at the bottom (right in picture). Very rarely was it tilted in the direction you have it on your figure. It was mainly straight or titled to the left.

View attachment 257121

Thanks for the advice, will try that out. :)

Looks really cool. :) You ca see the amount of effort that has gone into it. Well done !

If anyone has any leads on a set of Kaiyodo chest armour and shoulder bells I'd love to know. :)

Thanks, man.

Oh, great - nice to see it all looks so good. I have a box ready to go with a Hurricane ESB facemask plus some SSC and Hasbro domes, plus a complete Kaiyodo set and all the other bits I've assembled over the past year (including HT bodysuit.) Just need to find the time to put it all together.

That sounds like a recipe for greatness!

nice job on vader. here is mine I also got from hurricane him self. I had a body suite made a few years ago I forget who made it but he is a member on here. I think he turned out well I might switch out the body to a hot toys so I can use the boots and the electronic light saber arm also. so here is a couple photos of mine hope they turned out well as I was using a cell phone to take these pictures.
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg

Thanks. :)

While waiting for my gunmetal paint to arrive, I worked on some gloves. I basically combined McHaley's and matrix69's works: using the hands from the SSC DX Vader (with the sleeve and "top" of the glove removed), and using the fabric from the SSC DX suit for the top, sewn to a piece of thin faux leather for the underside. This allows wrist articulation, whlile keeping a leather glove look for the fingers.

IMG_9133_2_small.jpg

IMG_9136_2_small.jpg

IMG_9140_2_small.jpg

IMG_9145_2_small.jpg

This is easily my favorite Vader. What an awesome job you are doing. This IS Vader!! I have the Kaiyodo kit and LOVE it and wanna do what so many of you are doing creating these fantastic figures.

nice job on vader. here is mine I also got from hurricane him self. I had a body suite made a few years ago I forget who made it but he is a member on here. I think he turned out well I might switch out the body to a hot toys so I can use the boots and the electronic light saber arm also. so here is a couple photos of mine hope they turned out well as I was using a cell phone to take these pictures.

It's difficult to tell with the shadows, but I think I do agree that he could use a different body to help with the proportions. Do you more shots of that custom bodysuit?
Great display with the Snowtroopers, BTW.

This is easily my favorite Vader. What an awesome job you are doing. This IS Vader!! I have the Kaiyodo kit and LOVE it and wanna do what so many of you are doing creating these fantastic figures.

Thanks a lot, man. :) Here some more WIP shots in daylight:

IMG_9198_2_small.jpg

IMG_9205_2_small.jpg

Hurricane is almost done with a new custom dome - can't wait to see pics. For the Kaiyodo/Hurricane mask, I find the DX dome too small and the Hasbro one too large.

Here is a meditation Chamber diorama I made a few years back. Was never really able to finish it due to time constraints. I wanted to add in the computer panel inside as well. I used some loose kaiyodo and hasbro Vader parts for the figure.

Here is a meditation Chamber diorama I made a few years back. Was never really able to finish it due to time constraints. I wanted to add in the computer panel inside as well. I used some loose kaiyodo and hasbro Vader parts for the figure.

That's cool man.. can't wait to see it finish!

Look great. :)

-------------------

After a couple of months of work, I finally finished my Vader today!
I made him a new inner robe after all, from the same material I made the cape out of. I sewed some folds into the top, so it's easier to drape it properly. Also shortened the skirt of his dome some more.

I think he finally passes the man-in-a-suit test. :)

IMG_9287_2_small.jpg

IMG_9256_4_small.jpg

IMG_9261_3_small.jpg

IMG_9295_3_small.jpg

IMG_9238_3_small.jpg

IMG_9244_3_small.jpg

IMG_9249_3_small.jpg

IMG_9241_2_small.jpg

IMG_9235_2_small.jpg

IMG_9303_2_small.jpg

IMG_9323_2_small.jpg

Incredible Yannick.. Definitely worth the wait, hope to get mine even close to yours. The proportions and how everything lays on him are perfect. No doubt it passes the man in a suit test.

Really impressed at how you made the cape and robe from scratch. Love the sewing folds on the robe! Make me a set, I'll pay twice as more than iforginos! Haha

Congrats man, I know all the time and work you put into him. Definitely not the kitbash route I'm going for. One hell of a piece man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incredible Yannick.. Definitely worth the wait, hope to get mine even close to yours. The proportions and how everything lays on him are perfect. No doubt it passes the man in a suit test.

Really impressed at how you made the cape and robe from scratch. Love the sewing folds on the robe! Make me a set, I'll pay twice as more than iforginos! Haha

Congrats man, I know all the time and work you put into him. Definitely not the kitbash route I'm going for. One hell of a piece man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Ray! He turned out better than I hoped, really love the way he looks.
The inner robe is exactly tailored to the body though, just tried out stuff until it fit him. I'm actually surprised it worked out this well on the first try. :D I wouldn't be able to replicate it without having the body at hand it's supposed to fit.

That looks incredible, Agonistes! And thanks for the step-by-step pics.

The only criticism I would say is that the dome looks slightly undersized vertically. It's because there isn't a dome that fits the Kaiyodo perfectly - the SSC DX one is a little too small, and the Hasbro (and I've heard the HT also) is a little too large. It's what has had me stumped for months in my Kaiyodo build-up.

The good news is that HUrricane is just now finishing a new custom dome that is tailored to the Kaiyodo mask (they have all three of the others to work with.) I'm just waiting on pics any day now. :pray:

Has anyone done a comparison of all the cod pieces (SS ANH, SS ESB, HT ANH)?

I was thinking of switching out the HT one to one of the Sideshow ones if they're smaller.

Back