1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That helmet just needs to sit a bit further back and tilted lower so that the back of Vader's neck is completely covered by the helmet, DA. And while the build is on the slight side, I'm surprised at how tall you got the TTM21 to look. Was that done with just longer ankle pegs? You definitely nailed that part.

Thanks PJB, I actually didn't want to mod and ruin my TT so his feet are actually less than a quarter inch from being flush. What I did to fill the ankles is use painters tape around the ankle joint and now it's a snug fit around his actual ankle while giving him some lift.

Huh. I'm kinda 50/50 on the Hasbro dome.
As in, I think the 'flare' is just fine but half the pictures make the actual dome itself seem a little too 'mushroom-y'. Oddly, the other half make it look perfect to me.

That said, there is one criticism I'll stand by: The TT body doesn't work. The shoulders in particular are nowhere near broad enough.
As pictured, that'd be a really skinny guy in a Vader costume, as opposed to a bodybuilder.

Where is the board-accepted cut-off for determining which figure is being modified? In other words, how much of one particular product is normally used for one to consider it a modification of that product?

LOPIE has used the ANH body, ANH suit and ANH shins at least. To me, this is a "ANH Vader mod," as only a few parts from the new Sideshow RotJ version are being used. Are other people in the existing/older ANH Vader thread already doing/planning mods using the new Sideshow parts?

Where is the board-accepted cut-off for determining which figure is being modified? In other words, how much of one particular product is normally used for one to consider it a modification of that product?

LOPIE has used the ANH body, ANH suit and ANH shins at least. To me, this is a "ANH Vader mod," as only a few parts from the new Sideshow RotJ version are being used. Are other people in the existing/older ANH Vader thread already doing/planning mods using the new Sideshow parts?

Far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't be any "board-accepted" standard, save for what pleases ourselves as the end user. All that matters ultimately is the end result and whether or not the modder is happy with the final look.

"Accuracy nuts" can (and should) go fly a kite. To wit, while I'm not convinced DA's use of a TT body works for this Vader, if he's happy with the way it looks and what parts he used to get it there, who cares what I think?
And that's the way it should be. :yess:

Not really what I was asking.

Is Lopie's first post describing a Sideshow RotJ Vader modification, or is it more aptly describing a Sideshow ANH Vader modification?

Let me put it this way, then....

Although not meant to be noticed by the casual observer, it's nerds like us that know the differences between Vader's "looks". So, since...
Tunic over the armor = ANH.
Tunic under the armor = ESB/ROTJ.

LOPIE's figure could be 80% ANH but so long as he's putting the tunic under the armor, it's an ESB/ROTJ figure.
And that's all that matters.

Still not it… I'm not asking whether or not the finished product is specific or accurate to one movie (I'm with you in not really caring about that). I'm asking for the consensus on describing a mod as one of product X when you're actually using a majority or mostly significant parts of product Y.

So, he could have been using a Sideshow GI Joe figure in the mods and the end result is to make it look like Vader, maybe using all custom pieces, painting certain parts, whatever. One would probably still call that a "Sideshow GI Joe mod" regardless of what the end result is.

Anyway, I just found it strange that in a mod thread started for the new product, that it's actually the old product that's serving as the basis and majority parts donor for the bash - and that pieces being actually modified are also from the older product. It's not something most people will be able nor willing to do, having to grab almost another entire figure.

Last edited:
Still not it… I'm not asking whether or not the finished product is specific or accurate to one movie (I'm with you in not really caring about that). I'm asking for the consensus on describing a mod as one of product X when you're actually using a majority or mostly significant parts of product Y.

So, he could have been using a Sideshow GI Joe figure in the mods and the end result is to make it look like Vader, maybe using all custom pieces, painting certain parts, whatever. One would probably still call that a "Sideshow GI Joe mod" regardless of what the end result is.

Anyway, I just found it strange that in a mod thread started for the new product, that it's actually the old product that's serving as the basis and majority parts donor for the bash - and that pieces being actually modified are also from the older product. It's not something most people will be able nor willing to do, having to grab almost another entire figure.

No, I've been getting what you've been saying from the beginning. I'll just parrot my original response about the end result being all that matters, regardless of what went into it.
I'm in complete agreement with you about people not being willing to go to the same depth others will as I'm in that same boat myself. As it is, I find threads like these (and the insane levels some will go to :wink1: ) to be of immense value for the level of inspiration alone.
Since I have no plans to display mine with any other figures (unless Sideshow goes back to the well for a Stormtrooper 2.0), when it arrives, my mods will be somewhat subdued. I'll most likely stick with the stock body, not caring about the height discrepancies, and go with LOPIE's bandage mod to bulk up the extremities.
Far as the dome's concerned, that's the only other mod I'm planning on. I have a Hasbro dome so I'll probably just go back and forth between the two, trying to find the one that'll look best sitting 'right', which is the most important part since Sideshow didn't get that aspect correct out-of-the-box.

Just an observation.

ANH:

Body
Bodysuit
Shin guards /w attached feet

RotJ:

Head
Cape
Tunic
Chest armor
Chest box
Belt
Cod piece
Lightsaber
Hands

Both:

Lightsaber - Hilt RotJ - Blade ANH

Well all should really be able to post whatever mods or swaps we think are right. It's up to the observer to take away and use or not use the mods , some of us will be able to take some of the ideas and put them to use

What's the best way to swap out a saber blade? Do you just heat it in hot water and pull the blade out?

Well all should really be able to post whatever mods or swaps we think are right. It's up to the observer to take away and use or not use the mods , some of us will be able to take some of the ideas and put them to use

Was this in reply to something I wrote? Sounds fine to me too. If on the off chance it was a reply, then you guys a reading too much into it. I'm just speculating about the title of the thread and how to best describe modifications.

What's the best way to swap out a saber blade? Do you just heat it in hot water and pull the blade out?

There's a spare hilt included, you could always add a blade to that one, leaving the other bladed one alone. Depending on what it looks like up close in person, I'll either drill out the spare for a lit CCFL mod, or I'll use one of the Hasbro hilts I have kicking around here.

No, I've been getting what you've been saying from the beginning. I'll just parrot my original response about the end result being all that matters, regardless of what went into it.
I'm in complete agreement with you about people not being willing to go to the same depth others will as I'm in that same boat myself. As it is, I find threads like these (and the insane levels some will go to :wink1: ) to be of immense value for the level of inspiration alone.
Since I have no plans to display mine with any other figures (unless Sideshow goes back to the well for a Stormtrooper 2.0), when it arrives, my mods will be somewhat subdued. I'll most likely stick with the stock body, not caring about the height discrepancies, and go with LOPIE's bandage mod to bulk up the extremities.
Far as the dome's concerned, that's the only other mod I'm planning on. I have a Hasbro dome so I'll probably just go back and forth between the two, trying to find the one that'll look best sitting 'right', which is the most important part since Sideshow didn't get that aspect correct out-of-the-box.

:goodpost:

:exactly:

Folk are still using the ESB figure and reworking it to their own specifications regardless of where the odd bits and pieces are sourced so it seems to be a pretty pointless original question?

Great work guys on the mods. I hope SS start charging me soon; I need to see if the issues in-hand will bug me enough to mod the figure. I generally don't like doing these sorts of mods and leave things stock but it's a superb reference guide if I do.

Back