1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it really looks great with that suit. I'm really dumbfounded why they changed the suit.

I think the ANH suit will deteriorate in time. I switched out my Vader body several times and the suit was beginning to degrade -- "vinyl" peeling from the material along the neckline. It doesn't show so right now its not a problem, but perhaps with extended use or certain weather conditions the material will hastily degrade. Perhaps SS saw that as an issue and went with this new suit.

I think the ANH suit will deteriorate in time. I switched out my Vader body several times and the suit was beginning to degrade -- "vinyl" peeling from the material along the neckline. It doesn't show so right now its not a problem, but perhaps with extended use or certain weather conditions the material will hastily degrade. Perhaps SS saw that as an issue and went with this new suit.
A lot of times when this kind of material is stretched beyond the bodies that they were originally tailored for (which seems to happen quite often, beefing up Vader figures) it adds stress to the material and causes the vinyl/pleather/whatever to crack and then peal. Hopefully, that's not the case with the new suit (for customizer's sake). It is a thin black material laid over a thin cloth, so time will tell.

A lot of times when this kind of material is stretched beyond the bodies that they were originally tailored for (which seems to happen quite often, beefing up Vader figures) it adds stress to the material and causes the vinyl/pleather/whatever to crack and then peal. Hopefully, that's not the case with the new suit (for customizer's sake). It is a thin black material laid over a thin cloth, so time will tell.

I hope not. I think I may switch the suit back. The reason for this is because i decided to keep my ANH Vader, at least for a time. I took lforigno up in is offer of $35 for the cape set, it was too good of a price to let go.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Ah yes, as did my bachelor, black vinyl, European futon couch. I hope that's not the case....but, it's not a total deal killer, the Vader looks great, especially after all the mods. I can't pull the trigger on this until I complete the landscaping in my back yard. :(

Anyone want to buy some 8" custom Jawa's to help fund my Vader purchase? :)

IDEA: For anyone doing a Vader CCFL saber, run the wires from the hilt through a small hole in the gloved hand and into the suit's sleeve to help hide them. Pictures soon (ish).

I did dremel the top part of the mask a little to get it to tilt back a bit more.

Katkuru, did you do some saber work with Emil? Thinking this might be a small world... BTW, nice work on that suit. Vader is looking great.

It's actually custom made out of pleather.

Sorry, I didn't notice who's suit it was and mistook it for the double-Hasbro mod. Looks great. That's a crazy amount of stitching! The big issue with actually stitching is the out of scale needle holes and long stitches - I can't imagine doing it really being done any better with a regular sewing machine though. I'm sure this is why Sideshown switched to a thermal process for their new fabric. It's just a shame that the raised portions of the new suit don't have the same creased appearance of the traditional suit.

Like SSC's Boba, I think Vader is a beautiful figure. It's just off (again) in overall proprotion (again...too me).
Here's this wonderful picture that r5150s took of his Vader. Simple generalizing, something has to shrink...or his noggin needs to get bigger.
Still think this is a great figure. I will be modding the crap out, though. Just need some more parts.
2014-02-14185311_zpsf37fed67.jpg
2014-02-14185311_zpsf37fed67LRG.jpg

Very much looking forward to your modifications Haley. It's always a pleasure seeing new stuff from you. You have a good eye and a knack for this stuff.

I lowered the dome and the neck on mine.

20140215_091946_zps6331ddb6.jpg

Here is how much I shaved off.

20140214_230731_zps4b5f6e91.jpg

Fattened the arms up.

20140214_111802_zpse92d720f.jpg

I've fattened them up even more since this one.

20140214_112900_zps43e6ec24.jpg

On the helmeted head,what headsculpt is in there?i haven't taken mine apart yet and I was curious to know if it's a full sculpt or only the back of the head

Back