1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where can I get my hands on this custom pleather ? any info will be appreciated..

thanks !

I found these on the a main land fabric store. These were in the vinyl section, for making table top covers and such. I'm sure they can be found online as well.

I haven't got the figure yet but, how easy is it to remove the suit? Is any cutting required?

I haven't got the figure yet but, how easy is it to remove the suit? Is any cutting required?

Velcro, super easy. You pull the head off, which takes little to no effort. The shoulder armor and cape practically fall off after that. Pull out both gloved hands, again very little effort. The belt is held at the back with velcro, remove the chest box and tunic. Pull the feet off, only slightly more resistive than hands (maybe) and the shin guards slide right off. Open the vecro on the back of the suit and tilt the arms to slip it right off.

Velcro, super easy. You pull the head off, which takes little to no effort. The shoulder armor and cape practically fall off after that. Pull out both gloved hands, again very little effort. The belt is held at the back with velcro, remove the chest box and tunic. Pull the feet off, only slightly more resistive than hands (maybe) and the shin guards slide right off. Open the vecro on the back of the suit and tilt the arms to slip it right off.

How it should be! Thanks for the fast reply!

Nice. The dome/neck lowering really improves upon this.

Thanks. Both are a must for me. The neck piece is too long imo. It reminds me of when your testing out different neck pieces for a custom and you put a sculpt on a neck piece that's too long and the head rock back and forth/side to side.

yep.. what he said haha

the only other thing youll have to do is heat up the Vader boots to take out the prometheus joint, it pops right out with a hair dryer on it for 10 seconds, then the HT pegs fit in no problem.

the more elaborate change is definitley on the neck. Its all dressed up and glued so I cant post pics but Ill try to be super detailed with what I did

1. to avoid possible accidental breaks, its best to take the rubber upper torso off. I cut along one side, then slid it off.

2. unscrew the upper torso pieces to remove the neck ball joint

3. Cut or dremel down the joint from the bottom (which renders the joint useless, hence why you need to glue it back on top) I dremeled about half of it down before reassembling the chest, then using crazy glue to glue the joint back in place

4. Cut with an xacto the rubber neck on the TT body, use your own judgement but I took off about 3/4 of an inch or so

voila, Vaders ready to be dressed again.

that may seem like a complicated process but its really not, took me about 15 minutes at most!

Hi chilipep after I saw your awesome custom Vader I went running and bought a TTM-20 Body to do the same but I am a little bit lost on the neck mod you did.

On the 2nd step you mentioned to unscrew the upper torso pieces to remove the neck ball joint. But when I tried this I got confused because even after I remove all 4 screws on the figures back (2 near the neck and 2 on the back), the chest piece doen't come apart. It looks like I would have to crack or cut the two halves apart to remove the neck peg thats attached directly to the torso. And It looks like I might break the entire chest and arms just trying to do so.

Also when I observe this neck peg closely it looks like its part of the chest piece and not something that comes off. So can you please explain if its necesary to crack open the body to remove the lower neck peg and if thats not the case, please explain which parts of the neck I should cut: upper neck ball joint (the part that connects to the head) the middle joint (the thicker piece where the lower neck peg connects into or the lower neck peg that's connected to the chest. Thanks again for your help guys!

As I plan a Major Vader Mod, I wanted to share the thought process so far. I have NO IDEA when I'll be able to finish this thing so I hope this will give the rest of you some ideas and reference as you plan yours. I will also post this in my own custom thread so it's easier to find if you want to look at it in the future: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?130570-McHaleyArt-s-Custom-STAR-WARS-Thread

I like to use as many existing parts as possible. This helps with the overall durability of the final figure. For my money and in my opinion, the best overall Helmet/Mask shape is the Screamin'/Kaiyodo Mask with the Hasbro Helmet. These parts all need a nice clean up, paint and gloss. I want to replace the tusks on the Kaiyodo. The SSC Shaw Portrait could be put into the Kaiyodo Mask if you cut out that part of the Mask Sculpt...more of a permanent mod...but possibly cool looking. The SSC Back Neck Brace could be removed if you wanted to use the SSC Mask and have that smooth neck look. These are all loose fits, but you'll get the idea. They all have their pros and cons.

If you're going to use the Kaiyodo/Screamin Kit. Do NOT get a recast. They have shrinkage and will be too small.

First, here's the SSC reveal mask set. They're the same parts as the All-In-One Helmet.
A.jpgB.jpg

Comparisons:
C1.jpg
D1.jpg
E1.jpg
F1.jpg
G1.jpg

The walls of the Hasbro helmet are too thick, and personally, I think it looks terrible when viewed from up close. it can work at a distance, but this isn't something I'd go for on my figure. If I was super concerned about it, so much so that I couldn't stomach to use the SSC version, I'd work on making a custom mould starting with the Hasbro as a base and correct all the flaws, including wall thickness. I'm glad I'm not though, cuz that's a lot of work! ;)

Now with regards to the Kaiyodo, how do you feel about the size? Looking at the images I think it's going to be way too small, especially considering some people already complaining the SSC copy is small.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say that, as well, about the size (I wouldn't go for anything smaller than SSC's version). Plus, to my eyes, it doesn't look better/more accurate, so I don't see the advantage of switching out SSC's stock helmet. Regardless, I'm sure it'll be cool when you're done, McHaley.

The Size thing is all over the place. Depending on the mask, certain things are wider or taller than the other. It won't be just the Mask/helmet...the overall proportions for the whole Vader will be changed so everything looks as properly proportional as can be.
I usually don't post these early process type of pics, as it's hard for people to get an idea of what my finished product will be. BUT...I wanted you guys to have the info to make your own choices, etc.
Pixelpiper: Yeah...I could go Hog Wild and shave/sculpt/mold/cast, etc...and it would add to accuracy as you stated...and still could happen in the future. But I try to do what I can with stock pieces first. Always an ongoing thing. I think my smaller Vader has been customized and updated for 5 or more years.
As far as the Kaiyodo Mask. I think the flatter black that the helmet is currently in, makes it look smaller in the Helmet. Glossed up and Gunmetal Greyed, the inner mask, especially the eyes will look more in proportion. Time will tell.

McHaley, thank you for the comparison pics! I have been waiting for someone to post pictures of those particular combinations. I recently bought a Kaiyodo vader for a similar purpose. From your pictures, the Hasbro dome looks better on both the SSC and Kaiyodo mask. The SSC dome is the weak link.

Last edited:
Back