1/6 Scale Jabba Package Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would've liked to have seen more of the SSC influence on the box design. Enough to create more concrete continuity with the past 10 or so 1/6 scale box designs. This looks too much like GG's packaging.

I wonder when we'll see what Master Replicas' 2007 packaging looks like. Most likely the same as GG and SSC.

I only keep the boxes if I think I'll need them to protext the figure when I move. Jabba will be fine without his, I think, so in the bin it will go.

The throne on the other hand....

Darklord Dave said:
Since he's not really for sale at retail, there's no reason for a window. Some stores still carry Gentle Giant so it's useful to see the product, but for an all online sale it's not very necessary.

Point well taken, Darklord...
Jabba isn't available at retail at ALL in the US? It's been so long since the pre-order I'm not sure what it said about that...I thought the toasting glass was an inclusive, the throne a domestic SS exclusive and the little dragon creature an inclusive for the Crumb-Pack...ah, well...no big deal.

Besides, the more I look at the box the more I'm liking it the way it is...basic black, S & V logo, nice photography....

Besides, like everyone's saying...that big ole' guy ain't gonna be in the box for long!

There is something nice about the simple design for the 30th. Either way as long as the item shows up looking as good as it does in those shots. Count me happy.

Ultimately, it is about the figure being beautiful when it hit's the door step, and I am confident from these shots that I will be more than happy with him (shouts to himself, show up already). I think I stand out from a lot of collectors in here because on one hand, I am a collector like the rest, which is the side of me that loves the figure and can't wait to get it, but on the other hand, I'm a professional graphic design, and package design happens to be something I was educated on and consider to be a strength in my skills, so I can get very passionate about marketing choices and see things from that type of angle, where most collectors look at the box like wrapping paper on Christmas morning, sure it looks good and a lot of work goes into putting it on there, but what do we do when we get our gift, we rip it apart and discard the packaging like it was diseased or something. So if anyone thinks I'm a nut or foolish for having so much thought and so many things to say regarding the packaging, perhaps this will give you some insight to my mindset.

MaulFan said:
Ultimately, it is about the figure being beautiful when it hit's the door step, and I am confident from these shots that I will be more than happy with him (shouts to himself, show up already). I think I stand out from a lot of collectors in here because on one hand, I am a collector like the rest, which is the side of me that loves the figure and can't wait to get it, but on the other hand, I'm a professional graphic design, and package design happens to be something I was educated on and consider to be a strength in my skills, so I can get very passionate about marketing choices and see things from that type of angle, where most collectors look at the box like wrapping paper on Christmas morning, sure it looks good and a lot of work goes into putting it on there, but what do we do when we get our gift, we rip it apart and discard the packaging like it was diseased or something. So if anyone thinks I'm a nut or foolish for having so much thought and so many things to say regarding the packaging, perhaps this will give you some insight to my mindset.

I don't think you've ever mentioned that but from your posts along I had figured this was your line of work. I hope SideshowQ and any of the other folks realize we love the packaging and value the time they take for it. It's just some don't get into the details of the design as others do.

if we didn't already have the amazing 12" boxes i would really like these but the current 12" boxes are wonderfully done to the point where you can display them with the figure, as many have done.

Customikey said:
I only keep the boxes if I think I'll need them to protext the figure when I move. Jabba will be fine without his, I think, so in the bin it will go.

The throne on the other hand....
This is how I feel. The boxes are nothing but protection when I move. Sure they look nice, but damn I do not have room for empty boxes in my collection.

For those that don't care about the box design should see that there are "other" collectors that do. Yes, they are only boxes to you guys, but to some, they are more than that. Seriously, people need to start looking beyond their own perspective.

TOE said:
For those that don't care about the box design should see that there are "other" collectors that do. Yes, they are only boxes to you guys, but to some, they are more than that. Seriously, people need to start looking beyond their own perspective.

:rock :rock Well said Toe! I couldn't agree more!:D

TOE said:
Seriously, people need to start looking beyond their own perspective.

Man that is so true! Beside that, it would be nice if some took the effort to try and UNDERSTAND the other person's perspective, before they display their intellectual potential in a reply!

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Man that is so true! Beside that, it would be nice if some took the effort to try and UNDERSTAND the other person's perspective, before they display their intellectual potential in a reply!

I agree. That is why I don't post over at rebelscum. Here most of us seem more accepting of others' POVs. We may not all agree, but most of us will just agree to disagree.

Some like the packaging, some don't. If you really care THAT much about the packaging, just sell the figure and keep the box. While I love the detail and attention Sideshow puts into their packaging, it is the FIGURE I purchased and the packaging is just what it is put in to be delivered to me.

Well last I ckecked the thread title was 1/6 Scale Jabba Package Discussion. That would seem to include everyone's opinion... Yes even the vague "It sucks" comments. If you think someone's opinion is wrong perhaps you should reevaluate the meaning of opinion.

I hate people who hate.:monkey5

So there!

It's often hard to deal with people who get offended by everything, or to control one's own emotions, but we shouldn't let differing opinions lead us to anger or mocking. That only discredits our own feelings.

Wor-Gar said:
You can't hate people who hate because then you hate the people who hate the people who hate and your hate becomes the thing you hate and you hate yourself.

:D

But I do hate, and therefore hate myself... its all very upsetting.

So I think there's a Jabba figure or something like that whose box has been revealled recently maybe, I think people were talking about it...lol.

Box art used to be much more of an interesting aside, something glance at as I tore open the box. I get far fewer toys these days, and thanks to Sideshow's innovation to make them collector-friendly, I have been keeping the boxes. The boxes we get these toys in are great, and re-kindle some of my passion for collecting. Each box describes the toy you just got really well, and provides a great tease of what to expect soon. I like the simple style for Jabba, and since he is basically a giant statue, it seems only appropriate he would ship like a statue.

Back