1/6 options for The Thing Ben Grimm figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replaced Thing model with Thing rotocast. I think either one of them look good scale-wise with the Hot Toys figs. Biggest issue with the rotocast is the joints. Not so worried about the joints where he will be located in my display… his permanent spot will be in between Thor & Red Snapper Iron Man in the upper right of this shot… approx. 8 feet off the floor. If you go with rotocast Thing, depending upon the display, you might want to fill in the joints.

A couple more… started taking pics and couldn’t help myself. Here is where Thing model will be displayed at my place… opposite Horizon model Hulk… with the models framing a copy of a comic with one of my all time favorite covers - Fantastic Four #25. This display sits on top of my comic collection.

And… a work-in-progress of a movie Mr. Fantastic. Used the movie rotocast fig. as a base, then added the “elastic” parts to the body. a lot more smoothing to do on the body before painting, but getting there!

OK - Snapped some pics…

First - a side-by-side showing the Horizon model next to the rotocast. They scale pretty well to each other...

Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I think I like the model better at the scale, if I went with the movie version toy I think I would use the 14" talking version.

I have a diorama of the “hero scene” from the first Avengers movie… dropped the Thing model, then the Thing rotocast in the middle.

That looks really good. Thing isn't scaled well with the MCU Hulk (because the Hulk is SO big), but he looks great with the rest of the heroes.

Currently working on a display for Marvel movie figs… not done yet… first up shows the Thing model in the mix. Iron Man, Hulk, Thing, Antman are all the same distance from the camera, so you should get a good idea on height comparison. Wolverine is closer to the camera.

Thanks for this one too. I probably will use the model on the same shelf as wolverine so it's nice to see these together. That's an amazing display right away!

A couple more… started taking pics and couldn’t help myself. Here is where Thing model will be displayed at my place… opposite Horizon model Hulk… with the models framing a copy of a comic with one of my all time favorite covers - Fantastic Four #25. This display sits on top of my comic collection.

This looks amazing! Great job!

I think that, as it has been perfectly explained why, the best choice for you is getting the 14 inch talking Thing and modding it.

However, somebody also asked for a pic of the Bowen Designs Hulk standing close to normal Hot Toys figures.

I leave a pic, even if it's not the best one, for reference.

IMGP3256 rev.jpg

just to reiterate the talking guy fits in a standard detolf quite easily ,which is a bonus :yess: even if hes shoved in the back he still has a reasonable presence, crap picture alert :slap:lol

31372918376_ec6dc358a1_z.jpg
30587834234_a1ac2944cf_z.jpg
31409068785_b5bdae47b6_c.jpg

Looks great back there LIBBY1957DOG, and for those of us without custom pants its not a big loss if we pose him in the background standing a bit taller with figures in front blocking the lower half.

I'd love to see your Sue Storm Libby! Looks like you used the same recipe I did.

Well I got the 14" Thing. Looks nice. Didn't know it was all rubber. The seller also threw in a clobbering Thing but the face crumbled off. Figured I could use the fists or legs.
b0871fa45c2b1cec93f2ff0457070b60.jpg

9cee8a553202ff93a02d8fd044ad7933.jpg

7ae87a581cedd0962dfb7e242933b2cb.jpg

b511f040be803a9e96c63794f1799df7.jpg

f142dfc0726c114bd7f6f17cda269794.jpg

ba22ce87ec73ca61e36c4c81c3755b54.jpg

b695349ccaefe14c8f6eda387f537555.jpg

e53e29776867cb3ca808c66dbb463d2b.jpg

Much better than the shorter one. He legs are really bad ok the Roto version.
339fc9609624f4026268d1164f6f52cc.jpg

The scale of the 14" one works really well which is why I always thought this option had potential, but I also didn't know the it was made out of rubber. That makes it harder to customize. I thought I would at least fill the speaker holes and repaint if I got one, but not sure how easy that will be when it's rubber. Doesn't look too bad as is though and still one of the best options available.

I think that, as it has been perfectly explained why, the best choice for you is getting the 14 inch talking Thing and modding it.

However, somebody also asked for a pic of the Bowen Designs Hulk standing close to normal Hot Toys figures.

I leave a pic, even if it's not the best one, for reference.

View attachment 307962

So does that Bowen Thing come off of its base easily, or did you have to force it off? Because the base was the only thing holding me back from buying one.

The scale of the 14" one works really well which is why I always thought this option had potential, but I also didn't know the it was made out of rubber. That makes it harder to customize. I thought I would at least fill the speaker holes and repaint if I got one, but not sure how easy that will be when it's rubber. Doesn't look too bad as is though and still one of the best options available.

it was pretty straight forward if i remember rightly ,
filled holes with milliput
quick flirt over with primer
just cheap acrylic paint dry brushed shades of brown and orange
and a coat of mat primer

give it a go ,got to be worth a try :wink1:,if it looks crap ,put it in the back like i did :lol

you can block off eyes with blu tak or poster tack to save painting them in to save work :)

So does that Bowen Thing come off of its base easily, or did you have to force it off? Because the base was the only thing holding me back from buying one.

the Thing statue is easily removable from its base. You have to take into account however that in orther to pose it without the base you need to replicate the stand and hole where the pole fits. The bowen statue has got one pole or stick attached to below one of the feet of the statue. Notice the really shabby and home made fake base I am using in mine.

the Thing statue is easily removable from its base. You have to take into account however that in orther to pose it without the base you need to replicate the stand and hole where the pole fits. The bowen statue has got one pole or stick attached to below one of the feet of the statue. Notice the really shabby and home made fake base I am using in mine.

Thanks for the info. But actually now that I've researched it a bit more I can live with the stand. It doesn't have his name on the front, thankfully--I hate how Hot Toys is always doing that, it looks tacky--and with his wide-legged stance the base wouldn't really take up much extra space on the shelf. I'm going to be picking up the version with Ben in his classic style trunks and I think he'll look amazing on my shelf next to my Hot Toys figures.

Back