1/6 options for The Thing Ben Grimm figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymas

Super Freak
Reaction score
It can be depressing being a Marvel Hot Toys collector (and Marvel movie fan) when your favorite comic growing up was the Fantastic Four. I have 13 Hot Toys Marvel characters (not counting a few other variations of characters) displayed on my "Marvel shelf" with comic book TPB's and comic movies. I really like my set up as I have the versions of HT figures that remind me most of their comic counterparts, but I always miss the fact that I have nothing representing the Fantastic Four. It looks like it's going to be a long time, if ever, until we will see another attempt at Fantastic Four on the big screen again (hopefully done in the MCU) that could potentially lead to a company like Hot Toys making figures so I am looking for something that can hold me over.

I've been looking at toys and statues and haven't found much I feel will work, but here is something I am going to try. I found and old vinyl model kit from the 1990's that is supposedly 1/6 scale of the Thing. He's supposedly about 12" tall. Personally I like the idea of the Thing being a bit bigger, but the scale is a valid interpretation, the Thing isn't as big as the Hulk. It's also not my favorite look for the character, but beggars can't be choosers. Put together and painted well it has the potential for a "realism" which I think would look inline with my Ht figures; mostly because the character is made out of rocks. I'll try to paint the eyes as realistically as I can and give them a glossy wet look. I also think I'll try to fabricate some sort of fabric trunks. I just ordered a kit off ebay. I have never done a vinyl model before so I have some home work to do while I wait for it to arrive. It wasn't very expensive so if it doesn't work out no big loss and I think it will be a fun project either way. Here are some pictures of the model built and painted by others I found on the internet...
t2.jpg
Thing23435.jpg

Anyone else ever build this kit? I'd love to see how it looks with some HT figures.

Also, has anyone else found any other options for 1/6 Thing to use with your collections?

i got a great dr. doom going for sale soon....also an awesome victor head before doom....just saying....good luck in your try... a buddy of mine did a great thing with a knock off hulk....he is on the freaks, hit him up....crimsonbob, great guy, he done the whole line,,all 4

The good thing about Ben is that he doesn't have a human skin tone that only Hot Toys can make look 100% realistic. Therefore a statue or model kit version of him could look right at home on the shelf next to Hot Toys figures.

For Reed and Sue, if you could get someone like Tony Mei to make the outfits, all you would then need to do is "cast actors" to play them. Find male and female Hot Toys (or Hot Toys quality) heads based on actors you think might be appropriate for the roles if the MCU ever made an FF movie. There are lots of great Hot Toys heads out there. For example, someday I'm planning on getting someone to make a Captain Marvel (Shazam) outfit for me, and I'm planning on using a Henry Cavill head to complete the figure.

i got a great dr. doom going for sale soon....also an awesome victor head before doom....just saying....good luck in your try... a buddy of mine did a great thing with a knock off hulk....he is on the freaks, hit him up....crimsonbob, great guy, he done the whole line,,all 4
Thanks, I'll see if I can find pics of crimsonbob's line up- sounds great!

For Reed and Sue, if you could get someone like Tony Mei to make the outfits, all you would then need to do is "cast actors" to play them. Find male and female Hot Toys (or Hot Toys quality) heads based on actors you think might be appropriate for the roles if the MCU ever made an FF movie. There are lots of great Hot Toys heads out there. For example, someday I'm planning on getting someone to make a Captain Marvel (Shazam) outfit for me, and I'm planning on using a Henry Cavill head to complete the figure.

Good idea and great points. I'll start with the Thing and see where it goes.

The good thing about Ben is that he doesn't have a human skin tone that only Hot Toys can make look 100% realistic. Therefore a statue or model kit version of him could look right at home on the shelf next to Hot Toys figures.
Yea, that is what I was thinking too, especially if I can come up with some sort of fabric trunks like the way a lot of the premium format figures have cloth clothing. With realistic looking rock texture and some sort of fabric trunks I think it could fit right in.

Here is a Thing statue with some sort of cloth for his trunks and it makes a big difference, even on this more comic styled Thing...
7209_press02-001.jpg
To bad this is way too big and out of scale with Hot Toys.

The horizon kit (the one posted pics of) I think is to small. He would be shorter then most human figures. It's better then not having one but still not a great option. And unless you are a master painter it won't look anywhere near that good (from the pics).

It's better then not having one but still not a great option.

I'm open to other options, but this is what I am going to start with first. I found an original kit (not recast- recasts tend to be a bit smaller) for like $15 bucks so I am not risking much if it doesn't pan out.

The horizon kit (the one posted pics of) I think is to small. He would be shorter then most human figures.

I watched a Youtube review of one where it was said it was "about" 12" tall. Still without an exact measurement or seeing it side by side with a 1'6 figure I'm not sure. I guess I'll find out when it gets here.

And unless you are a master painter it won't look anywhere near that good (from the pics).

Well, I am not a "master painter" for sure, but I used to be a pretty active model builder back in the day (though I never built a vinyl model before) and have a little artistic talent. I am just glad I don't have to paint realistic skin tone or anything like that. I've looked around and found a variety of pictures of models built by people of various skill level. Here is one with a very simple solid paint job...
IMG_8643.JPG
I'm pretty sure I can do better than this one. Even a paint wash like you would do for weathering filling in the cracks dimples and divots would make a big difference in bringing out the detail and texture on something like that. The eye's also need to be better, I am thinking about some custom decals.
Either way if I can at least split the difference between this one and the first pic I posted at the top of the thread I think I'll be reasonably happy.

But again, I am open to hearing other ideas and options I may not have thought of.

Thanks

You know, the full-size Bowen museum-posed Thing statue is pretty awesome. 13.5 inches tall and he looks like he leapt right out of the comics. The trunks aren't cloth but still, overall, if I was desperate to have a Ben Grimm in my collection I'd probably go this route. (Kind of expensive these days though, but still.)

s-l1600.jpg

You know, the full-size Bowen museum-posed Thing statue is pretty awesome. 13.5 inches tall and he looks like he leapt right out of the comics. The trunks aren't cloth but still, overall, if I was desperate to have a Ben Grimm in my collection I'd probably go this route. (Kind of expensive these days though, but still.)

View attachment 307226

OH YES!! I have often looked at the Bowen statue on ebay, I was never sure how tall it was though. I love the John Byrne look of the piece, he was the artist and writer of FF when I was a kid and first fell in love with those characters. I then went back and fell in love with original Kirby stuff after that. The Bowen statue actually looks a lot like Kirby's later version of Thing too. I have been tempted a few times buy that statue, but I am afraid of it being a gateway drug to expanding past 1/6 scale figures in my high end collecting and it wouldn't fit in with all the Hot Toys I have on my Marvel shelf. But yea, that is one of my favorite representations of the character for sure.

I'm just afraid if I got that one I would want the whole group...
Bowen-Fantastic-Four-Statues-Complete-Team-Thing-Human-Torch-Mr-Fantastic-Invisible-Woman-e13904.jpg

I bought the 12" rotocast Fantastic Four figures from the 2005 movie. They are certainly not high end -- but I think they look ok on their own shelf. I am one of the few people that enjoyed that movie.

It's a decent first option. Wasn't trying to poo poo it. Just that it's not gonna look nearly as good as the picture. It was sculpted in the 60s and painting is very hard. Lol

And I didn't mean to imply you couldn't paint. Just that unless you are very good it won't look like that photo. It's totally possible to make it look pretty good.

I bought the 12" rotocast Fantastic Four figures from the 2005 movie. They are certainly not high end -- but I think they look ok on their own shelf. I am one of the few people that enjoyed that movie.

I looked at those and considered that one, as well as the 14" talking Thing, but I think I would feel like I had to mod it, fill gaps and repaint it, so as long as I am going to work on it like a model I might as well try an actual model kit first.

It's a decent first option. Wasn't trying to poo poo it. Just that it's not gonna look nearly as good as the picture. It was sculpted in the 60s and painting is very hard. Lol

And I didn't mean to imply you couldn't paint. Just that unless you are very good it won't look like that photo. It's totally possible to make it look pretty good.

No problem man, I took no offense at all to your observations. I think you're right. I had the same thoughts but I am going to take a swing at building and painting it; it remains to be seen how well it comes out and if I will be happy with the result.

I appreciated your input as I am processing through the project. Thanks

The rotocast one isn't bad, making one now and combining it with an Icons Hulk for articulation in the legs.
Sculpted a brow ridge/eye brow with it too.
(not my pic, just a reference)

Attachments

• review_ff12_4.jpg
    review_ff12_4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 127
The rotocast one isn't bad, making one now and combining it with an Icons Hulk for articulation in the legs.
Sculpted a brow ridge/eye brow with it too.
(not my pic, just a reference)

Can't wait to see what you are able to do with it. A slight brow ridge would help too I think. If it were me I wouldn't worry about articulation and would glue it in a fixed pose and fill in the seams with putty and repaint it. How does it look scale wise with a Hot Toy's figure?

I'd love one of those Bowen statues but the price is just too high for me. The Roto is a decent stand in though I'd love an upgrade. Here is my current F4 setup. No decent RR yet so he is absent. Those statues do look amazing though. The Torch looks especially bad ass!
2e82accb4d4da36a73d13f1d87a2f277.jpg

Last edited:

I was going to suggest that one too. Sure, as Kgrhoad says, it's not high end, but frankly, the paint is quite good, it is also decently articulated in the upper part. I haven't had the time yet, but I've always wanted to graft the legs of a 12" hulk Mego to it and make some fabric pants. Could be and awesome Thing and a real articulated 1/6 figure!

I had that Thing. It was cool, and I loved those two movies.

I have it away to a little nephew with the movies on DVD. Hmmm wouldn't mind seeing them again now that you mention it.

as melkor suggested, I think the Bowen The Thing statue is cool.

I have it, and it looks great. I think it is slightly smaller than 1/6, but you can forgive that since it is a big statue. He is just a tad small when compared to the standard 1/6 figure.

I modified the belt and added a cigar... that makes he look more real.

IMGP3711r.jpg

as melkor suggested, I think the Bowen The Thing statue is cool.

I have it, and it looks great. I think it is slightly smaller than 1/6, but you can forgive that since it is a big statue. He is just a tad small when compared to the standard 1/6 figure.

I modified the belt and added a cigar... that makes he look more real.

love the modifications! Do you have any pics with any Marvel (or any) Hot Toys figures for the sake of comparison of scale?

I absolutely love the Bowen statue, but not sure what it would look like on a shelf with my HT figures.

Hi Jamas -

I have the Horizon model Thing and the rotocast Thing as well. Is there a particular Hot Toys figure you would like me to pop into a picture with them?

Back