1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS4??D20 - Iron Man 2 - Mark IV Diecast Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it was...and it was trash also. I was very vocal about how the Mk. V head sculpt sucked. Looked more like Brad Pitt than RDJ. :slap
EDIT: gmomey5000 & Tom Day, best responses EVER!

Exactly! And honestly the thing that pisses me off the most is the complaints about the old reused pos headsculpt. For collectors who have been collecting IM HT’s diligently, when we saw that the prototype was using that old sculpt, we knew that the likeness would suck. There are so many people who get upset that HT releases so many IM figures but their work on the headsculpts have been barely accurate for years. They seem to allocate their talent in engineering the armors with the headsculpt being an afterthought and GUESS WHAT??? Everyone should be used to it by now. I’m not saying they get a pass I’m just saying that we all know what we are receiving so GET OVER IT!!!

The helmeted ones, In my opinion, had always been the best (until 1/4 Mk. 43 and 1/6 Mk. 46-47) mostly because the helmet covered much of the head, being recessed with shadows hiding more of the flaws and of course our minds naturally just “accept” the sculpt inside the helmet easier. So when people compare those vs the unhelmeted headsculpt, I feel it’s a completely unfair comparison. I don’t care how artistic you are or if you work in the industry, the helmet helps sell the illusion.

In my opinion, the only early HT RDJ unhelmeted headsculpt that was decent for its time was the mech test version. If you disagree and actually OWN the figure/set, go back and watch IM1 during that scene to see that they got close (for HT during the early Marvel years). He was 11-12 years younger and RDJ’s face definitely has changed over the years. With how well HT’s seems to be able to capture old wrinkly white men, they obviously are doing a better job lately!

So honest opinion, which is the best TS head sculpt? The Mark 4 is my first IM figure(since I was able to trade for it at my local store) but I think the RDJ head sculpt looks pretty amazing to me. But then again, this is my first IM. I'm also planning on adding one of the newer suits to my collection. I'm thinking about getting the Mark 50 since I can get it for a decent price. I really love the look of the 46 & 47 too.

So honest opinion, which is the best TS head sculpt? The Mark 4 is my first IM figure(since I was able to trade for it at my local store) but I think the RDJ head sculpt looks pretty amazing to me. But then again, this is my first IM. I'm also planning on adding one of the newer suits to my collection. I'm thinking about getting the Mark 50 since I can get it for a decent price. I really love the look of the 46 & 47 too.

Mark 46/47/50 have or will have the best headsculpt for 1/6 scale. Nobody being honest will deny that. The 46/47/50 come with the same sculpt with the only differences between each being varying eye placements and battle damage.

If you get the 50 you will see the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Dukefett - I wasn't insulting you - please don't feel that, that's totally not the case man and I totally don't want you to feel that - I will apologise if I offended you.

I can't deny the fact that I am an artist. I'm sorry if mentioning it made me sound like an arse. I was just trying to make the point that I'm closer to the people who sculpt the HT heads than a regular punter and I can see when they've not really done good work - which is the case with the Mark V sculpt.

I’d prefer your opinion to be quite honest. If a sculpt gets a pass from someone with your knowledge and skill set, then I know it is solid.

I’m not going to take offense to what another artist sees. I have no background in your field so why take offense.

Hello, all. Newcomer here looking to dive into the world of Hoy Toys diecast Iron Man. I was wondering if this figure, the Mark IV diecast, is a good figure to start off with. I'm asking because this is one of Hot Toy's more recent releases, and the prices have yet to explode on the 1st and 2nd hand markets.

Hello, all. Newcomer here looking to dive into the world of Hoy Toys diecast Iron Man. I was wondering if this figure, the Mark IV diecast, is a good figure to start off with. I'm asking because this is one of Hot Toy's more recent releases, and the prices have yet to explode on the 1st and 2nd hand markets.

This one is definitely a good place to start, classic Iron Man suit design, classic colors, just looks the way an Iron Man suit should look. I think by the end of my collecting days I’ll have the Mark IV, Mark 46, and 50. Will have to wait and see what the next movie brings.

Gotta vent a little bit. I finally received my MKIV with the Suit-up Gantry from Sideshow today (I had it on a payment plan). At first it seemed pretty odd - the shipping box didn't have a Hot Toys label anywhere and it was bent to hell, like someone sat on it. When I opened it up, there was foam and paper inside to pad the Iron Man box. The actual Iron Man box was damaged too. There was even cheap "sticky" plastic to mimic the normal plastic that vertically wraps around the Iron Man box. When I opened it up, one of the extra hands to the figure was not situated properly and was crushed against the foam "Iron Man MKIV" cover and left a huge imprint. The internal foam box looked like someone had taken a razor blade to it as there were huge scratches all over it. The Iron Man figure itself was missing all of the plastic wrappings around the legs, arms, etc. It was pretty clear that the figure had already been used/opened by someone else.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I just opened a case with Sideshow Customer Support. I'm really pissed that they tried to pull this on me. I've ordered at least 20 figures from them over the years and have never had this happen. Why would they do something like this?
I ordered a Civil War, War Machine and they shipped the internal package in a regular cardboard box with no Hot Toys shipper. You could tell it was opened. I called and complained that buying new, I want brand new. They said it was them doing QA checks. Yeah right. I asked for a refund and they would not refund me the return shipping. I threatened to cancel all my pre-orders and they didn’t care. I wish I remembered the dudes name but he was an a-hole. Plus, they don’t packout IM figures and so the shipper and usually the packaging has dings from UPS being horrible. I would be loyal to BBTS if they did payment plans.

I would be loyal to BBTS if they did payment plans.

They still do their 'pile of loot' don't they? It's not a payment plan, but a step closer to managing a budget. I used to use them exclusively, but switched to Sideshow for a couple of exclusives. Then I had a QC issue with them and haven't used them since. That said, I never had BBTS send a figure with the shipper.

As Gmoney and Bedot have said the Mark 46/47/50 is the best likeness. MMS 171 Mark 6 Movie Promo edition is probably the next best - although I'm only going by the publicity pics. It looks like this was the basis for the helmeted DC Mark 6 that I have, though not the Silver Centurion (which is the mechanic face). It's curious that a much later set like the Arc Reactor Creation should have an inferior head sculpt. Why didn't they use the MMS 171 head?

I dug out my Mk XLVI and got out the TS head and put it on this Mk IV as I was curious how it would look.

PXnat4m.jpg

Hh2FDCE.jpg

Zab9lSm.jpg

hLlvElp.jpg

I think it fits into proportion with the figure, however it felt a bit tight with the neck collar piece. You can note the collar rides up and exposes some of the lower neck.

Here's this Mk IV's TS head compared to the Mk XLVI's:

fAqBP5W.jpg

FGXc6yv.jpg

CIWdNuG.jpg

To me it seems the XLVI's head is scaled a bit bigger. Also, to me the likeness on this Mk IV to R.D.J. is good and I can't help but also interpret it as a stellar, life-like comic TS (which of course is attributed to the casting of R.D.J.).

I got around to really playing around with this figure, and noted most of the joints are really tight, some maybe a bit more so. It was difficult to remove the neck piece to put the TS head in, it took a few minutes just to budge it out, also the hands. On the same note, I felt I put a lot of force on this figure and despite that it feels resilient, i.e. a well put together figure.

Apologies again, I'm going to bombard this thread with more photos:

fXVkydF.jpg

"I am Iron Man."

OtDLrBq.jpg

hKm4XM8.jpg

0lZnm2t.jpg

odM0v5j.jpg

CzWXzTd.jpg

I ordered a Civil War, War Machine and they shipped the internal package in a regular cardboard box with no Hot Toys shipper. You could tell it was opened. I called and complained that buying new, I want brand new. They said it was them doing QA checks. Yeah right. I asked for a refund and they would not refund me the return shipping. I threatened to cancel all my pre-orders and they didn’t care. I wish I remembered the dudes name but he was an a-hole. Plus, they don’t packout IM figures and so the shipper and usually the packaging has dings from UPS being horrible. I would be loyal to BBTS if they did payment plans.

Ugh - sorry to hear that. My situation has been pretty similar.

Quick update on my situation. Sideshow agreed to exchange the figure but they said it was a "one-time courtesy". It was a giant pain in the ass dealing with them. There's only one person who oversees the returns and exchanges (Aliesha) and each time I called, she was never available to talk to and the person assured me that she would get back to me soon. After calling and emailing a few times with no response from her, I gave Sideshow an ultimatum that I was going to call my credit card company and have them get a partial refund since the item clearly was not "brand new". The Sideshow customer rep said that if I did that, then my Sideshow account would be frozen. Since I did not have anything on pre-order, I said "go ahead and freeze it"

Aliesha did finally get back to me very late that evening. She insisted that Sideshow never sells used items and that they do not consider the shipper to be part of the collectible, therefore it is indispensable. Occasionally if an item appears to be damaged in-transit from China, they will have QA open it up and inspect it before shipping it onto the customer. In my case, QA did a horrendous job of repackaging it. They will only replace something if it is damaged and the shipper does not qualify as something they will replace. I have a few issues with this:

1 - If something appears to be damaged - they should never send it off to a customer. Use the product for parts. There is nothing worse for a collector than spending several hundred dollars for a figure only to get something that looks like it had been carelessly rummaged through.

2 - Sideshow should know more than anyone that the shipper holds value to the collectors. While I personally do not need a shipper to be happy with a figure I know that others do and therefore if I'm buying a new figure from Sideshow, the shipper must come with it.

3 - Sideshow's attitude towards their customers really sucks. It took me all week and several methods of contact (2 phone calls, 3 emails and one live chat) and an ultimatum just to get someone to resolve the issue. The whole "we're doing this as a one-time courtesy" was really off-putting. I paid over $600 for this figure, have been a long-time, loyal customer and this is how they treat me.

I want everyone to know that this can happen to them with Sideshow and they don't give two ****s about it.

3 - Sideshow's attitude towards their customers really sucks.

Damn man, sorry to hear what you’ve been dealing with. But this quoted sentence is becoming more and more evident as time goes on and I’m not really sure why or specially when this all happened but it definitely seems like a 180 degree turn from how they used to be.

Ugh - sorry to hear that. My situation has been pretty similar.

Quick update on my situation. Sideshow agreed to exchange the figure but they said it was a "one-time courtesy". It was a giant pain in the ass dealing with them. There's only one person who oversees the returns and exchanges (Aliesha) and each time I called, she was never available to talk to and the person assured me that she would get back to me soon. After calling and emailing a few times with no response from her, I gave Sideshow an ultimatum that I was going to call my credit card company and have them get a partial refund since the item clearly was not "brand new". The Sideshow customer rep said that if I did that, then my Sideshow account would be frozen. Since I did not have anything on pre-order, I said "go ahead and freeze it"

Aliesha did finally get back to me very late that evening. She insisted that Sideshow never sells used items and that they do not consider the shipper to be part of the collectible, therefore it is indispensable. Occasionally if an item appears to be damaged in-transit from China, they will have QA open it up and inspect it before shipping it onto the customer. In my case, QA did a horrendous job of repackaging it. They will only replace something if it is damaged and the shipper does not qualify as something they will replace. I have a few issues with this:

1 - If something appears to be damaged - they should never send it off to a customer. Use the product for parts. There is nothing worse for a collector than spending several hundred dollars for a figure only to get something that looks like it had been carelessly rummaged through.

2 - Sideshow should know more than anyone that the shipper holds value to the collectors. While I personally do not need a shipper to be happy with a figure I know that others do and therefore if I'm buying a new figure from Sideshow, the shipper must come with it.

3 - Sideshow's attitude towards their customers really sucks. It took me all week and several methods of contact (2 phone calls, 3 emails and one live chat) and an ultimatum just to get someone to resolve the issue. The whole "we're doing this as a one-time courtesy" was really off-putting. I paid over $600 for this figure, have been a long-time, loyal customer and this is how they treat me.

I want everyone to know that this can happen to them with Sideshow and they don't give two ****s about it.

Wow, thanks for the update. That is terrible. I guess they don’t believe in “The customer is always right philosophy.”

What I also don’t get is who is negotiating deals with Hot Toys over there. You’re the official distributor of Hot Toys and you don’t have the power to send back figures if they are damaged in transit? Ridiculous they would try to instead pawn that damaged box off on you.

I haven’t had an issue so far with SS but I’m sure something will come up some day. So thank you for the heads up.

Hearing all this about SS just makes me just want to get all my future HT figures from my local store. Hell, they seem to get the new figures in stock before SS does and I don't ever have issues from my local store. Plus no NRD or shipping fees. I can sacrifice the rewards for peace of mind.

Back