1/6 Hot Toys - MMS288 - Avengers: AoU - Black Widow Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with wholeheartedly with the bolded part, but I'll disagree with you (slightly) on the head sculpt. I actually think the WS/AoU head sculpt is a closer (but not perfect) likeness to the actress; the eyes kill it, but I think it looks more like Scarlett than the first Avengers version does. It is hard to put in good action poses, but I do recall a few pictures of the WS version where it didn't look terrible (I hesitate to say good) in the eyes. A lot of it is angles and lighting. While I don't share the opinion, I can see how people like the new head sculpt more. If someone were to repaint the WS/AoU eyes, I think most people would find it to be an overall improvement over the first Avengers head (yourself included?). The face needs to be a bit fuller in the cheeks, but all the Widow heads suffer from that.

I just prefer the first Avengers head sculpt because it has a bit more life to it (and is a bit prettier, for lack of a better term), and I like the shorter hair style. I'm also not a big fan of Scarlett, so I don't mind the lack of likeness compared to the newer sculpts. [I'm fully aware I'm in the minority on that last point]
Me too. Love my avengers version. Just got the ws suit n aou arm guards and weapons to mesh the perfect widow.

I agree with wholeheartedly with the bolded part, but I'll disagree with you (slightly) on the head sculpt. I actually think the WS/AoU head sculpt is a closer (but not perfect) likeness to the actress; the eyes kill it, but I think it looks more like Scarlett than the first Avengers version does. It is hard to put in good action poses, but I do recall a few pictures of the WS version where it didn't look terrible (I hesitate to say good) in the eyes. A lot of it is angles and lighting. While I don't share the opinion, I can see how people like the new head sculpt more. If someone were to repaint the WS/AoU eyes, I think most people would find it to be an overall improvement over the first Avengers head (yourself included?). The face needs to be a bit fuller in the cheeks, but all the Widow heads suffer from that.

I just prefer the first Avengers head sculpt because it has a bit more life to it (and is a bit prettier, for lack of a better term), and I like the shorter hair style. I'm also not a big fan of Scarlett, so I don't mind the lack of likeness compared to the newer sculpts. [I'm fully aware I'm in the minority on that last point]

:goodpost:

Good post :hi5:

I do agree that the WS/AoU is closer in certain lighting conditions / certain poses, but not enough to say it blows the A1 Sculpt out of the water, and that's basically my main beef heh.
- After this amount of time one of them absoltuely should be. It should be a case of the A1 was really kool at the time, but boy oh boy how about that AoU Sculpt!?"

Instead, neither really does ScarJo any justice and so it comes down to the overall look and I completely agree that the A1 BW sculpt still gets my vote because it doesn't look utterly lifeless and is more animate.

I had my eye on the WS BW for some time, even put out a wanted request on the board (prior to pre-ordering the AoU), it's not that I feel it's a terrible piece, because it isn't - I just think for the price, and considering how some of the other sculpts are turning out, it's about time hot toys just scrap the WS foundation and go-again with a brand new sculpt.

It's mostly frustraition on my part, as there can't be that many more ScarJo BW appearances, and it would be nice to have at least one awesome ScarJo sculpt (& figure) before she hangs up her batons and glock 26's for good. :panic:

Last edited:
tense.gif

:lol

:goodpost:

Good post :hi5:

I do agree that the WS/AoU is closer in certain lighting conditions / certain poses, but not enough to say it blows the A1 Sculpt out of the water, and that's basically my main beef heh.
- After this amount of time one of them absoltuely should be. It should be a case of the A1 was really kool at the time, but boy oh boy how about that AoU Sculpt!?"

Instead, neither really does ScarJo any justice and so it comes down to the overall look and I completely agree that the A1 BW sculpt still gets my vote because it doesn't look utterly lifeless and is more animate.

I had my eye on the WS BW for some time, even put out a wanted request on the board (prior to pre-ordering the AoU), it's not that I feel it's a terrible piece, because it isn't - I just think for the price, and considering how some of the other sculpts are turning out, it's about time hot toys just scrap the WS foundation and go-again with a brand new sculpt.

It's mostly frustraition on my part, as there can't be that many more ScarJo BW appearances, and it would be nice to have at least one awesome ScarJo sculpt (& figure) before she hangs up her batons and glock 26's for good. :panic:

I do agree that it's disappointing that HT hasn't made a really good Widow sculpt yet, especially when HT nailed Cap's likeness in the same figure line. However, for every Chris Evans, there are some HT sculpts that just don't hit the mark, even the second time around. So it's not necessarily a given that head sculpts will improve with each iteration (hello, Loki). Given that Thor just got a resculpt for AoU, maybe there's hope for a new Widow sculpt for Civil War.

I just hope that HT does away with the blank, wide-eyed stare for the female figures. The male sculpts have something resembling life in them (even if they look inaccurate), so the female ones really should as well. Even a look of determination would go a long way (though I wouldn't mind something a bit more intense for action poses). I'm really looking forward to the eventual HT Wonder Woman figure, and I don't want that to have another lifeless head sculpt.

I do agree that it's disappointing that HT hasn't made a really good Widow sculpt yet, especially when HT nailed Cap's likeness in the same figure line. However, for every Chris Evans, there are some HT sculpts that just don't hit the mark, even the second time around. So it's not necessarily a given that head sculpts will improve with each iteration (hello, Loki). Given that Thor just got a resculpt for AoU, maybe there's hope for a new Widow sculpt for Civil War.

I just hope that HT does away with the blank, wide-eyed stare for the female figures. The male sculpts have something resembling life in them (even if they look inaccurate), so the female ones really should as well. Even a look of determination would go a long way (though I wouldn't mind something a bit more intense for action poses). I'm really looking forward to the eventual HT Wonder Woman figure, and I don't want that to have another lifeless head sculpt.

Indeed!
- While it's not necessarily a given, it really should be for the prices they charge. In most instances Black Widow is £200 here, so that's a lot of money to drop on a 'meh' looking sculpt. Hot Toys kind of has us over a barrel in that sense, as I wanted the figure, the character has long been a fav of mine, long before ScarJo got the role in the MCU - There's nobody else, so short of expensive customs and whatnot where else can we go for a AoU BW. :/

As you say, I remain hopeful that post Civil War Hot Toys announce her, and we get the sculpt so many of us have been itching for, indeed maybe a more determined look to help with action poses, over the boring 'profile' stance pose look. :pray:

WW:
I've never been a fan of Wonder Woman, I probably never will be :dunno
- That said, I agree having a lifeless head sculpt on the BvS WW (I presume that's the potential figure you're referring to) would be a big mistake.

Indeed!
- While it's not necessarily a given, it really should be for the prices they charge. In most instances Black Widow is £200 here, so that's a lot of money to drop on a 'meh' looking sculpt. Hot Toys kind of has us over a barrel in that sense, as I wanted the figure, the character has long been a fav of mine, long before ScarJo got the role in the MCU - There's nobody else, so short of expensive customs and whatnot where else can we go for a AoU BW. :/

As you say, I remain hopeful that post Civil War Hot Toys announce her, and we get the sculpt so many of us have been itching for, indeed maybe a more determined look to help with action poses, over the boring 'profile' stance pose look. :pray:

WW:
I've never been a fan of Wonder Woman, I probably never will be :dunno
- That said, I agree having a lifeless head sculpt on the BvS WW (I presume that's the potential figure you're referring to) would be a big mistake.

I can't really argue with that at all. In general, figures improve with each iteration; but that can be the tailoring, articulation, accessories, or head sculpt. With the high price tags, we want all four to happen at the same time, but that's not always the case. Two steps forward, one step back...

On a related note, I just got Rocket and Groot yesterday, and while the set is great, it actually bothers me that they can give a tree and raccoon more personality than a high profile female character like Black Widow. :slap

If Black Widow's one of your favorite characters, I can understand the frustration about the lack of a really good figure. That's how I feel about many of the X-Men characters. I'd love a Fassbender Magneto from First Class, but that's most likely never happening without a custom. And Rogue was one of my favorite characters growing up, but I'm still waiting for a good movie depiction before I get into figure-wishing.

I'm actually not a big fan of Wonder Woman in general, but I'm pretty excited about her in Bats v Supes (more so than the rest of the movie). I blame it on the casting and outfit.

I can't really argue with that at all. In general, figures improve with each iteration; but that can be the tailoring, articulation, accessories, or head sculpt. With the high price tags, we want all four to happen at the same time, but that's not always the case. Two steps forward, one step back...

On a related note, I just got Rocket and Groot yesterday, and while the set is great, it actually bothers me that they can give a tree and raccoon more personality than a high profile female character like Black Widow. :slap

If Black Widow's one of your favorite characters, I can understand the frustration about the lack of a really good figure. That's how I feel about many of the X-Men characters. I'd love a Fassbender Magneto from First Class, but that's most likely never happening without a custom. And Rogue was one of my favorite characters growing up, but I'm still waiting for a good movie depiction before I get into figure-wishing.

I'm actually not a big fan of Wonder Woman in general, but I'm pretty excited about her in Bats v Supes (more so than the rest of the movie). I blame it on the casting and outfit.

:hi5:

Widow is one of them certainly, so yeah it's kinda personal for me and does hit a nerve when we know that HT could and should do better. I hear you about X-men, especially Magneto.

Mystique is another of my favourites whom I would have loved to have gotten a 1/6 hot toy release. But of course due to the ownership fiasco we are unlikely to ever see figures from First Class, DOFP, or even Apocalypse and it's such a shame / gut punch.

Bats v Supes was always going to get a hard time after Nolans trilogy. Like it or loath it, he did (IHMO) set the bar pretty high and after performances from Ledger and T.Hardy, hell even Hathaway anything coming after it was going to be compared.

I'm actually more looking forward to Civil war and Apocalypse, but I will be going to watch it, and will go in open minded and without too much bias (I loved the nolan trilogy).

WW - We'll see, but I won't be picking up the figure, even if she's greta in the movie, just not a character I care about enough to drop money on. I don't doubt that she will sell well though, given the strong fan base.

I don't know how you guys can say that the A1 BW sculpt is meh or disappointing.
Killer likeness imo.

Hopefully the final SW looks like the proto.. I think they captured Elizabeth Olsen's likeness almost perfectly.
Definitely better than the Paul Walker-Thor.

I'm not. I'm saying the WS & AoU are ultimately 'Meh', but do have a better paint job then A1. The A1 was a huge improvement over say IM2 BW or the ScarJo from the Sprit movie (Silken Floss).
- A1 is still my favourite, and i plan on displaying my AoU BW with a A1 spare head sculpt :)

I too am looking forward to SW! :woo

Pre-2012 HT was very hit or miss, with emphasis on the miss.

Widow was too tall, TFA Cap was too short and barely resembled Evans, Wolverine looked like a cross between Lorenzo Lamas and Nick Mancuso...

Then you had gems like DX09 in there.

it made me think, if i ever want to make a custom Adrianne Palicki Mockingbird, I'm definitely gonna use the Iron Man 2 Black Widow body and suit lol

Back