1/6 Hot Toys - MMS288 - Avengers: AoU - Black Widow Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiosity which version of black widow do most prefer - I think there have been 4 + so far right?

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/.../137019-leon-911-partial-collection-40-a.html

You know I may be one of the few who believe the original Avengers Widow had the best sculpt. I also really liked the sculpt of the Iron Man 2 even though the he figure was oversized and they corrected that with the Avengers version. I think the AoU suit actually fits and looks the best; good thing it's pretty easy to swap the heads.

240image.jpg

336image.jpg

b0cimage.jpg

After seeing these pics I had to take up Midtown Comics on their offer and pick her up. Once again great pics; you have really captured the best of this figure.

You know I may be one of the few who believe the original Avengers Widow had the best sculpt. I also really liked the sculpt of the Iron Man 2 even though the he figure was oversized and they corrected that with the Avengers version. I think the AoU suit actually fits and looks the best; good thing it's pretty easy to swap the heads.

I believe there are several of us who think the first Avengers head sculpt was the best one. :) If you do swap the first Avengers head onto the AoU figure, please post pictures of it afterwards! I've been considering a similar head/outfit combination and haven't seen a good picture of it yet.

Curiosity got the better of me. Tried the checkout from Midtown and including shipping it exchange rates out to $334NZ. Popcultcha using Paypal and including shipping comes out to $374. I suppose it is a gamble of waiting for $40 saving using the tried and true store only 3 hours flight away, rather than a comic book store in the US..

According to the advert on the Midtown site also, you can get a 20% saving using the phone app, but just playing around with it I don't see it applying before you get to the submit screen...

I believe there are several of us who think the first Avengers head sculpt was the best one. :) If you do swap the first Avengers head onto the AoU figure, please post pictures of it afterwards! I've been considering a similar head/outfit combination and haven't seen a good picture of it yet.

The skin tones of the AoU / Winter Soldier neck and the Avengers 1 Head sculpt are a lot different.
I had tried that swap before, and was not pleased with the result.

The issue with the Avengers 1 sculpt is that it has no definition in the skin tone. Just a flat, barbie doll-like plastic.
She looks out of place with newer figures because of it.

I am happy with the AoU one as a whole, but am really liking the look of the Civil War suit and head/hair…
so possibly an upgrade in the near future?

The skin tones of the AoU / Winter Soldier neck and the Avengers 1 Head sculpt are a lot different.

The issue with the Avengers 1 sculpt is that it has no definition in the skin tone. Just a flat, barbie doll-like plastic.

I am happy with the AoU one as a whole, but am really liking the look of the Civil War suit and head/hair…

Agreed.

My favorite is TWS version, followed closely by AoU. I like the sculpt of TWS the best and I think the AoU suit has the best tailoring of any Widow. However, the tailoring on TWS figure is still good enough to push it to the #1 spot for me. I think the likeness on the A1 sculpt is pretty good, but like you said, there doesn't seem to be much definition nor detail in the skin tone.

Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended) about the difference in paint. I knew the AoU body had a rosier neck paint scheme, but I didn't know it contrasted so much with the first Avengers head.

I finally caved. The lure of making my Avenger lineup all from the same movie (except Banner who I can't) and being able to save $60AU, became too much. Popcultcha have $10 off for easter, and I can spend $50 on savings. Even if I wait for another Spooktackular or Xmas special where they drop 15% or 20% off Marvel figures or something, you can't combine them with Popcultcha Pennies... So I'd be waiting and taking a gamble that they'll drop her to 280-290 or something when the Civil War figure comes out..

Arrived today, so now have her in my Avenger lineup, with TWS now with the older figures. I actually like her more in hand than I was expecting. The figure seems better than TWS, and obviously she has more accessories. The blue lines don't seem so Tron like and overbearing either.

I ordered this Black Widow on the 22nd of March from Sideshow (she was in stock and had no restriction shipping to Australia when I ordered). However, every day I logged on to my account to see if she had been shipped, it just said 'payment processing' (despite paying for her already). So yesterday I emailed Sideshow to ask what was up and they replied with this:

"Dear Troy,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Department.

Iam very sorry, once your order was processed our Shipping Department advised that we no longer have this item available to sell within your region. Please be advised that Hot Toys limits the number of pieces that we can sell to our Australian Customers, so we do not have this item to offer to you.

We regret to inform you form you that your order for the Black Widow Figure has been cancelled. Yourpayment will be refunded to you in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Iam very sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you and would liketo thank you for your understanding. Please let me know if I can assist you further!

Best Regards,
Jennifer Bigham"

WTF? Is this common? I'm not impressed considering there was no warning about shipping to Australia when I purchased her... I've brought 2 figures from Sideshow already, and have been happy with those, but this has really annoyed me...

Similar thing happened to me Troy with AoU Thor, except they never emailed me to tell me the region quota had been exceeded. My order just sat there as "processing" for weeks, even though the figure showed in stock on their site, and was available at PC and MA and other 'local' suppliers.

When I emailed them to question why there was still a delay, that turned out to be the reason. Took several weeks to sort out (December is a terrible time to exchange emails), including them suggesting I arrange an address forwarder in the States to use. In the end I cancelled myself and went to PC.

I won't use Sideshow again unless it is for a newly announced pre-order, or a very old figure which they are struggling to push where I hopefully won't get stung.

Similar thing happened to me Troy with AoU Thor, except they never emailed me to tell me the region quota had been exceeded. My order just sat there as "processing" for weeks, even though the figure showed in stock on their site, and was available at PC and MA and other 'local' suppliers.

When I emailed them to question why there was still a delay, that turned out to be the reason. Took several weeks to sort out (December is a terrible time to exchange emails), including them suggesting I arrange an address forwarder in the States to use. In the end I cancelled myself and went to PC.

I won't use Sideshow again unless it is for a newly announced pre-order, or a very old figure which they are struggling to push where I hopefully won't get stung.

Wow OK. I like the fact they have affordable payment plans, but you've obviously been stung badly to the point that you won't shop there again... My issue now, as I have Deadpool, Civil War Captain America, Wonder Woman and Drax on pre-order with them, is if they cancel my order and pull this **** again at the last minute, I'll miss out completely... and that would be a complete disaster. As stores are already starting to sell out of Deadpool...

Back