1/6 Hot Toys - MMS280 - Guardians of the Galaxy: Thanos Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading this thread l day and it's the same nonsense over and over. People complain about the price... This has the throne, that probably adds an extra $80 to the total right there. People don't like the armor? Looks to me like HT translated what's onscreen pretty well, so blame the concept artists behind GOTG. It's a hell of a lot more complex than what he usually wears in the comics. Yada yada yada he doesn't have the Gauntlet... Who would actually expect him to? There's no way they would include something he hasn't actually possessed yet.

When an IM figure is $350 and a Joker rehash rings in at $270, why would a brand new 15 inch figure requiring entirely new parts and sculpt be cheaper? It's just irritating.

I wish they had a version that was cheaper without the chair. I don't care about that. I'm holding off on this for awhile.
Chair-less version would've been nice. Someone else mentioned that they might not be too comfortable letting the figure sit for ages, given how it could distort Thanos' costume. I could see how that'd be a concern, aside from the cost.

He is big but Hot Toys have made bigger.. Hulk. Looks nice but he doesn't appear all that complex to me. The amor doesn't appear to be removable.. It looks molded.. Something that NECA can and probably will do for $100. I won't pretend to know what work goes into these figures and I may be dead wrong but the Die Cast Iron Man figures appear to have a more complex design than this guy. Even General Zod has more intricately designed armor that is removable. I understand that the bigger body would bump the price up some. Just my opinion though.. I'm not knocking anybody who wants it. More power to you. I think $375 would have been good.
So many variables with these figures. Complexity, size, materials, edition size, etc. If you love the character, I guess you find a way to justify the price.

PS - With coupon, he's $395.00. From the reaction in this thread, I could also see this going double rewards, at some point, so that's $355.50! Almost $20.00 cheaper than your ideal price. :wink1:

If nobody buys them, how are they expected to survive as a company until then? Just make one off's of every character?

Exactly. Reading through these threads lately it's nothing but complaints about how this figure stinks and the next model will be a million times better.
But of course the next one will be better, it's being made in the future. It seems like if you're constantly holding out to buy the perfect figure you'll never buy one at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$415?

lol_george_takei.gif
lol_george_takei.gif

lol_george_takei.gif
lol_george_takei.gif

PS - With coupon, he's $395.00. From the reaction in this thread, I could also see this going double rewards, at some point, so that's $355.50! Almost $20.00 cheaper than your ideal price. :wink1:

Now that would be a great deal! LOL

COME ON PEOPLE.. You knew that some of us would be unhappy with the price before you clicked the link. In fact, some of you clicked just to see who was complaining so that you could complain about the complainers lol. Everyone has a right to voice their opinions and even though you may not agree there are good arguments to be made either way. *Not directed at you Invictus Sol. Just a general comment*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For perspective, guys, you could get Black Mask's "arsenal" for $400.00. I say it w/love :D, but you're all deluded or in the wrong hobby if you think the price on this is outrageous. Best get out, now, b/c it's only going to get more expensive.

Now that would be a great deal! LOL

COME ON PEOPLE.. You knew that some of us would be unhappy with the price before you clicked the link. In fact, some of you clicked just to see who was complaining so that you could complain about the complainers lol. Everyone has a right to voice their opinions and even though you may not agree there are good arguments to be made either way. *Not directed at you Invictus Sol. Just a general comment*
Of course, no offense taken. Even if I can't afford them, I just think the prices are fair for stuff that is very much non-essential. Being familiar with custom prices maybe has also made me more accepting.

If it helps the hurt a little bit, it's on Animarket for $365 if anyone wants to order it there. Shipping will probably be like 25 bucks or so though. But still cheaper than everywhere else that I know of.

If it helps the hurt a little bit, it's on Animarket for $365 if anyone wants to order it there. Shipping will probably be like 25 bucks or so though. But still cheaper than everywhere else that I know of.

Is animarket legit and an official HT distributer?

Only a couple of things are making me hesitate. The joints are too visible, no smiling face and the price is over what I was thinking it might be. I get that making a full body for this would be ver the top expensive but the could have hid the arm joints a little better and the hip joints as well. That skirt is going to cause problems if he sits or more than a day or two. His evil smile at he end of his talk with Ronan was priceless and it should have been included. Now, if those other to issues had been addressed i would cave on the price because there is a lot of awesome stuff with this figure and it is Thanos but for the price it needs to be near perfect. Oh, and the fact that another one will be made in he future that has his most popular weapon, makes it easier to pass. Maybe they will fix some of those issues on the next one and then I can raise high the Infinity Gauntlet.

As someone who thought this would cost $500+, $415 doesn't seem that bad.

How much did you think a 15-inch high, beefy-ass figure of a charismatic villain from a hit movie, complete with a light-up throne, would cost?

As for the Darth Vader comparisons, SSC has done him to death. Has a figure of Thanos, of this quality and of this scale, ever been made by a high-end company?

The Hong Kong market doesn't have to pay the customs/import/duty charges, nor the shipping into country. If you buy a figure this size from the USA to Hong Kong you can add 50 bucks easy.

I still can't get the sticker shock here. It's an oversized, figure. Bigger then hulk. With twice the paint apps and an actual costume. On top of a diorama set up. There are company that only make 1/6 scale display bases. A few less complex then this chair. And they are over 100 usd. The added base on an iron man repaint added 30-40 bucks to the cost. So this probably added about the same. Which means in comparison to the hulk which is the closest marvel sized figure, they added a lot of detail, a costume, paint and a bit of size, and a diorama display base. All of which was done for less then what a base alone costs. I say multiple people saying they thought, pre announcement, that this would be 450-500. It came in less then the high end estimates.

As for the cute motu jokes...what else was it supposed to look like other then exactly what the movie had him designed like? I find it funny that now that people are able to order it suddenly it's a terrible figure. But it's the exact same proto shown at toy soul, and I didn't hear a single person talking about how bad this guy was, or how he was to cartoony or whatever else. Reminds me of all the DOFP talk. Up till the first figure was announced everyone was saying I want one. Anyone. I'd buy anything. Hot toys is dumb for not making this or that. As soon as they announce something...well it's not the right thing. Or it just doesn't look good enough. It wasn't the right character. But if they did Charles or mags or sponge bob is buy that. For sure. Right up till the actually make it and announce it, and suddenly poof. Those people saying it was a must have or how hot toys is not making the right stuff or whatever...they all fold up their wallets and bring things up that no one was saying before. This is why when hot toys finds a figure that sells always they stick to it (iron man). And why it's not worth the effort or money to do a lot of other characters. Despite all the fan boy clamour, it often doesn't result in real world sales.

:goodpost:

Not my bag, but I'm pleased that the folks who wanted Thanos are getting one.. tbh, I'm slightly surprised Hot Toys didn't delay, until they could release a figure, with the Infinity Gauntlet.. I think most Thanos fans would have been prepared to wait, so not sure why HT are in such a hurry to get this figure out for pre-order now.
:dunno

As someone who thought this would cost $500+, $415 doesn't seem that bad.

How much did you think a 15-inch high, beefy-ass figure of a charismatic villain from a hit movie, complete with a light-up throne, would cost?

As for the Darth Vader comparisons, SSC has done him to death. Has a figure of Thanos, of this quality and of this scale, ever been made by a high-end company?

If you like the price can you buy me one?
:p

If you like the price can you buy me one?
:p

Sure. But you have to give me $415 first. Plus a $100 "convenience" fee. :lol

Like everybody else, I'm not a fan of HT's price increases. But you know what? The day anything goes up for PO, there's a mixture of shock and outrage. Then, a month or two go by and most people come around and accept it.

Back