1/6 Hot Toys - MMS244 - Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Spider-Man Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's essentially--Batman is not like anyone else at DC really, and he's their most important character. Therefore the analogy at Marvel who isn't like anyone else is their most important character. :confused:

Wolvie's popularity really took off in the late '80s/early '90s. More recently it seems like Deadpool is one of the major characters readers demand seeing in multiple comics every month. But even on into the 2000s (I haven't followed in very recent years), Spidey consistently had more ongoing titles than anyone else. At one point it was Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, and Spider-Man, then Spiderman 2099, Ultimate Spider-Man, and I'm sure many others more recently. Marvel Team-Up was essentially another Spidey comic. He also has the most toys and cartoons, and now has had 5 movies focusing on him specifically. Again, that's popularity, but I think Spidey continues to be the cornerstone of all things Marvel more than anyone else. And I'm a bigger fan of Wolvie.

Wolvie's popularity really took off in the late '80s/early '90s. More recently it seems like Deadpool is one of the major characters readers demand seeing in multiple comics every month. But even on into the 2000s (I haven't followed in very recent years), Spidey consistently had more ongoing titles than anyone else. At one point it was Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, and Spider-Man, then Spiderman 2099, Ultimate Spider-Man, and I'm sure many others more recently. Marvel Team-Up was essentially another Spidey comic. He also has the most toys and cartoons, and now has had 5 movies focusing on him specifically. Again, that's popularity, but I think Spidey continues to be the cornerstone of all things Marvel more than anyone else. And I'm a bigger fan of Wolvie.

I do not understand the Deadpool fascination. The only time I found the character interesting was in Remender's X-Force book. He was(surprisingly) the heart of that run.

The key for Spidey is going to be what happens after Marvel reboots their comic universe later this year. They have already made it clear Miles Morales is not going away. But in order for him to work properly, he needs his supporting cast, and Peter to not be around. I don't see them sidelining Peter, but I don't se them wanting to alienate Miles' fans. It will be interesting.

I think Spidey continues to be the cornerstone of all things Marvel more than anyone else.

To move on a bit from the "historical importance" topic I think we really do have close to an even playing field with almost all non-Batman/Iron Man superheroes going forward. X-Men and Spider-Man aren't guaranteed top earners any more, they have to actually be in good movies.

It'd be interesting to see a solo Batman movie open the same weekend as a solo RDJ IM film. Or hell a Batman/IM team-up or versus movie. :panic:

As I was catching up on the debate, this is what I was thinking the whole time and you beat me to posting it. I agree with your angle and I think that his importance is evident in the marketing machine that he is. Sure, RDJ's Iron Man came and set this MCU franchise on fire which of course changed the perception. It took the popularity of this MCU saga to start seeing these characters plastered all over everything and anything that could be sold, have dedicated cartoons, etc. Spidey has been doing that since the 70's and predominately on his own. I don't have hard data, but growing up thru these eras, it surely felt like he was the most popular character with the widest audience. I'd say until the mid 2000's, Spidey could be considered Marvel's cornerstone, foundation and glue.

jucrr8.jpg

6qzkoz.jpg

****, now I actually kinda wanna sell my TASM2 fig. XD I really only bought it cause I never thought that Spidey would come back to the MCU anytime soon. I'm really considering it though.

Welp, scoop this figure and Electro up if you loved the ASM movies because now that Sony and Marvel have cut a deal, I bet the Rhino figure gets the axe Prometheus style.

The news regarding Spidey's homecoming didn't diminish my love for this figure one bit. I bought it because the costume looks perfect, regardless of how the movie was received. When I look at this figure I don't see a film that flopped or the actor who got mixed reviews in playing the role. I see Spider-man. Also, him appearing in a Marvel Studios film doesn't make it any less of a "let's wait and see if the suit would look great" scenario.

The news regarding Spidey's homecoming didn't diminish my love for this figure one bit. I bought it because the costume looks perfect, regardless of how the movie was received. When I look at this figure I don't see a film that flopped or the actor who got mixed reviews in playing the role. I see Spider-man. Also, him appearing in a Marvel Studios film doesn't make it any less of a "let's wait and see if the suit would look great" scenario.

Amen brotha,preach! Spiderman collectables dont get much better than this guy.

Yea, this is still a great figure. And since it looks a lot like comic spidey may end up being the one going forward that most resembles it anyway. Hard to say this early.

I've said it before and I'll say it again in case anyone missed it...this type of agreement will be happening with fox as well. Fox really wants to do a TV deal and establish a TV universe with mutants and FF characters. More of the b listers that get little to no screen time in movies. But marvel owns all the TV rights. Well more like fox doesn't have them really. Anyway, I know they have reached out to mend fences after the AoU/DOFP fight between board and ceo/coo members. And have brought up the potential for a Sony type deal in exchange for TV rights or co producer rights. And from the talk I'm hearing they want those TV rights a lot. As soon as walking dead hit 20 million viewers two years ago fox started planning. They think that TV might be the best revenue stream for them with mutants, given the number of characters. An Excalibur team, a gen X team, x-force, xmen a and b teams, savage land, ect. Lots of possibilities. I think it's entirely feasable that by Infinity war at the latest Marvel could have access to its whole catalog of characters. Which would be amazing. Ten years ago the thoughts of a new Star Wars, Star Trek. Xmen, spiderman, terminator, Jurassic park, avengers, Justice league, fantastic four, mad max all within two or three years of each other....CRAZY. And it not only looks imminent, but that we may get more. Golden age of geekiness and CBM!

Welp, scoop this figure and Electro up if you loved the ASM movies because now that Sony and Marvel have cut a deal, I bet the Rhino figure gets the axe Prometheus style.

Or you could scoop it up just cause it's a good Spider-man suit that's pretty faithful to the comics.

Agreed.

Back