1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and my wife shook Mark's hand the other day, when I showed her this yesterday she said it looked great, so there must be some sort of resemblance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just sitting in my living room asking for a casual opinion from a non-collector.

You are buzzing about after shaking hands with a SW icon and showing your wife a figure you are pumped about. I'm sure my wife would say, "it looks great" in that situation. Notice she didn't say omg it looks just like him.

29dcncx.jpg

Perfect TFA Hamill sculpt, down to the post-accident nose.

I'm just sitting in my living room asking for a casual opinion from a non-collector.

As was I. Trust me, my wife has no horse in this race, she thinks I'm crazy with my love of star wars and has no problem telling me so.

You are buzzing about after shaking hands with a SW icon and showing your wife a figure you are pumped about. I'm sure my wife would say, "it looks great" in that situation. Notice she didn't say omg it looks just like him.

It wasn't an exact quote, I was paraphrasing. The only reason she even looked at the pics was that she had met the man a few days before which upped her interest a bit. She was definitely impressed by the likeness, as am I. At the end of the day it all boils down to the usual: opinions, how do they work?

Fair enough. I mostly avoid human sculpts but when one comes along that I think is great I'm excited to get it...and it doesn't matter if everyone agrees because they never do.

Last edited:
Honestly I feel similar to how I felt when I first saw TFA Han in the promo images. Then I saw the JC Hong shots which blew me away. So, I really don't know what to think with either of these.

Will wait for production on both. Han is close to a definite buy, due to it being his final costumes, this is just a maybe either way (unless the sculpt turns out amazing in production).

Its not hard to make a likeness that most people can tell who is Suppose to be. The entire SW line up so far has been a character study rather than an actual dead on likeness( with the glaring exception of Leia, thats spot on).

What got me into HT was the spot on likeness though, alla Jack Sparrow , Terminator, Joker.....all the Latest HT offering are really not hitting the mark on exact likeness.....

But MOST people are happy with characterization cause thats all they really see, in other word most people look but do not SEE.....
Example: my buddy had a beard for years, he shaved it off, when I saw him next I told him how odd he looked to me shaved. He said "at least you noticed, most people I have known for years said nothing or said , "hey you look different?" But could not pin down what changed."

To reiterate, people only look at the superficial.

1. robe. Check
2. Robot hand check
3. Some facial hair check
4. Grey hair check

And they are happy and call it a good likeness. I am happy for them . But if HT wants my 250 , they need to get back on the ball and start producing much better likeness sculpts and not so much character sculpts...

At the end of the day it all boils down to the usual: opinions, how do they work?

:exactly:

At the end of the day, the individual who's going to be purchasing the figure and whose collection it's ultimately going to be going into, is yours. Therefore, your opinion on it should be the only one that matters from your perspective. If others don't like something about it, then they're free not to purchase it to put in their collections.

That being said, one still can't help but notice trends around here when it comes to initially disapproving of then later on approving of sculpts. :lol

I love how Hot Toys is calling this Luke a "temporary painting test." You know that's just code for "crap, we thought we'd skate by on a bad likeness but people are calling us on it so we'd better fix it." Why would they tell a sculptor "hey can you whip us up a quick Jeff Bridges sculpt so we can do a little paint demo of TFA Luke in front of a hundred thousand people." Yeah right. :lol This was their big unveiling and they realized they were blowing it.

But I don't care how they spin it as long as the end result is that the sculpt gets improved.

That last picture does look like Luke to me. They could do better though, way better.

Its not hard to make a likeness that most people can tell who is Suppose to be. The entire SW line up so far has been a character study rather than an actual dead on likeness( with the glaring exception of Leia, thats spot on).

What got me into HT was the spot on likeness though, alla Jack Sparrow , Terminator, Joker.....all the Latest HT offering are really not hitting the mark on exact likeness.....

But MOST people are happy with characterization cause thats all they really see, in other word most people look but do not SEE.....
Example: my buddy had a beard for years, he shaved it off, when I saw him next I told him how odd he looked to me shaved. He said "at least you noticed, most people I have known for years said nothing or said , "hey you look different?" But could not pin down what changed."

To reiterate, people only look at the superficial.

1. robe. Check
2. Robot hand check
3. Some facial hair check
4. Grey hair check

And they are happy and call it a good likeness. I am happy for them . But if HT wants my 250 , they need to get back on the ball and start producing much better likeness sculpts and not so much character sculpts...

So to summarise:
- Most people are idiots except you. The rest of us can't recognise facial features because we don't know how to SEE.
- Your mate shaved off his facial hair after years and no one could tell what happened, followed up by the contradiction that people only look at the superficial, such as facial hair.

I showed my wife too. She said to stop buying plastic toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine too! :duff:

:)monkey2)

My husband rolls his eyes.He knows these are expensive & while i have only this week pulled the trigger and bought my first one (Rey) he appreciates the detail and is a big SW fan himself. I think he has figured out why i want to go to Ikea at some point.....

Back