1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Spider-Man: Homecoming - Spider-Man Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said they should collect statues, not that statue collectors are lesser than... youre really reaching here. If you want seemless, no folds on a figure, statues serve your better than any of these figure ever will.. and thats ignorant and narrow minded? :lol
No, what's narrow minded is reducing arguments about how people like a figure to look, what people don't like or even just people voicing their opinions on the creases to 'they should collect statues'. People can critique figures and still be figure collectors. Just because they say something negative about one particular thing they don't like doesn't mean they 'shouldn't' be part of the hobby as a whole

No, what's narrow minded is reducing arguments about how people like a figure to look, what people don't like or even just people voicing their opinions on the creases to 'they should collect statues'. People can critique figures and still be figure collectors. Just because they say something negative about one particular thing they don't like doesn't mean they 'shouldn't' be part of the hobby as a whole

My comments stand, move on

Wow, this and the IM VI both look like total winners.

Only slight nit pick is the neck joint, but I won't have him displayed to see the back....so who cares :)

or people who realize that these are toys and will never be perfect representations, but will enjoy them anyways...

Yeah them too. Just making light of the current debate. I will definitely be enjoying my creased up SM and thigh gapped Mk6.

And then theres reality...

...If you want seemless, no folds on a figure, statues serve your better than any of these figure ever will.. and thats ignorant and narrow minded? :lol

When it comes to judging "reality"; I don't think you are relating to what the concerns some have about the material stretching and creasing really is; but rather it sounds like you are exaggerating the concern to a straw man argument about being absolutely "stemless" and having "no folds, then calling this position, which you have distorted, "ignorant" and "narrow minded". I understand that many many fans have an unrealistic expectation for their figures, but you are twisting the reality of some legitimate concerns too.

I don't care if the material folds or creases when I flex and bend the figure around the joints, but also prefer that when I pose a figure dynamically it doesn't mean that it stretches out the material in a way that it doesn't return to it's original shape when the joint is straitened either. I don't think this is unreasonable concern that might effect if someone buys it or, if they do, chose not put him in poses that bend the knees very much.

I know I had one of the knees of my vision figure bent at a right angle for an extended period of time and it stretched out the material around the knee so it didn't look as good any more when I straightened it. That's a real thing. Now if someone has advice where, time, or a water treatment, or heat or something, is effective at addressing the issue, then by all means, please share it. But just to dismiss the concern and write people off as being "unrealistic" isn't really helping anyone when it is a potential real issue with the newer material they have been using for some of these skin tight costumes most recently. It might be an issue collectors can choose to live with as there are always advantages and disadvantages about various materials and craftsmanship used with a figure, but it is a real thing that is fair to be discussed.

I am concerned, but I have the figure on pre-order, and I am not hating on it for these potential issues, but I do want to be aware of them. THAT is being realistic.

Yeah them too. Just making light of the current debate. I will definitely be enjoying my creased up SM and thigh gapped Mk6.
Same! I'm looking forward to both these figures as well :D I don't actually know anything about the thigh gap :lol but it's not something that would bother me or something that I even noticed :lol

When it comes to judging "reality"; I don't think you are relating to what the concerns some have about the material stretching and creasing really is; but rather it sounds like you are exaggerating the concern to a straw man argument about being absolutely "stemless" and having "no folds, then calling this position, which you have distorted, "ignorant" and "narrow minded". I understands that many many fans have an unrealistic expectation for their figures, but you are twisting the reality of some legitimate concerns too.

I don't care if the material folds or creases when I flex and bend the figure around the joints, but also prefer that when I pose a figure dynamically it doesn't mean that it stretches out the material in a way that it doesn't return to it's original shape when the joint is straitened either. I don't think this is unreasonable concern that might effect if someone buys it or, if they do, chose not put him in poses that bend the knees very much.

I know I had one of the knees of my vision figure bent at a right angle for an extended period of time and it stretched out the material around the knee so it didn't look as good any more when I straightened it. That's a real thing. Now if someone has advice where, time, or a water treatment, or heat or something, is effective at addressing the issue, then by all means, please share it. But just to dismiss the concern and write people off as being "unrealistic" isn't really helping anyone when it is a potential real issue with the newer material they have been using for some of these skin tight costumes most recently. It might be an issue collectors can choose to live with as there are always advantages and disadvantages about various materials and craftsmanship used with a figure, but it is a real thing that is fair to be discussed.

I am concerned, but I have the figure on pre-order, and I am not hating on it for these potential issues, but I do want to be aware of them. THAT is being realistic.

What I meant by reality is that Materials on these 1/6 figures simply are what they are. Pleather materials will dry and crack and other material they try on these "spandex suited" figures will crease or warp. The only solution is you go with a thinner fabric, but it tears, a thicker one wont look good. They cant simply sew the line work on, so your only options are gluing them to a fabric suit (which changes the way the fabric will pull/shrink) or use rubber (dry/cracking/peeling) etc... there are simply realistic constraints to every avenue Hot toys could pursue. Hell even cosplayers face all these issues on a 1:1 scale

If these are serious issues for you (not you directly, but anyone) then the products that serve you best would be PF's and statues, if theyre issue you can make peace with, then by all means buy in and sell out all you want, just know that there is no magical solution that Hot toys is gunna come up with anytime soon

Same! I'm looking forward to both these figures as well :D I don't actually know anything about the thigh gap :lol but it's not something that would bother me or something that I even noticed :lol

One member mentioned it once in the Mk6 thread recently, I'm going with it :lol

:lol even Deanknight said in his review that people are just ridiculously nitpicking and that it’s not as bad as people think

Just watched his review, and I appreciated it, and I am excited to receive my figure. I think this could be the best Hot Toys Spider-Man figure yet. But to be fair, Dean addressed how "ridiculous" people are for canceling because of the suit wrinkling when posing it at 11 minutes 17 seconds in but he seemed to be talking to those who I guess are afraid to pose it all, because he say's "don't leave it posed like that" and it will return back to normal. And then at 18 minutes and 20 seconds or so in he is talking about the web-wing pose and said he isn't going to leave it in that pose because he doesn't want to "put wrinkles in the suit" and how the introductions warn that leaving it in a pose with the joints bent for a long period of time can damage the suit. Then he says he can believe that because that is how his Black Panther figure was damaged. So, I don't think he is saying all concern over the suit being permanently damaged and wrinkled is "ridiculous"; just those who are afraid to move it all, even for short periods of time. But, I am not sure how many of those expressing concern over damaging the suit when posing it are afraid to pose him dynamically for a few minutes then undo it.

If these are serious issues for you (not you directly, but anyone) then the products that serve you best would be PF's and statues, if theyre issue you can make peace with, then by all means buy in and sell out all you want, just know that there is no magical solution that Hot toys is gunna come up with anytime soon

I can agree if it's a serious issue for someone perhaps they shouldn't buy it, but then again it seems like some are taking conversation about the particulars of this issue as having a "serious" issue with the figure and are treated like they are hating on it just for mentioning it. Hot Toys mentions it in their instructions, and I can understand some collectors being frustrated that you can't leave a figure in anything other than a museum pose without damaging it. It may no longer apply to figures made with this skin tight material for a costume, but many long time 1/6 collectors enjoy the hobby because these high end figures are kind of a half way point between figures and statues where they have become accustomed to posing a figure like a statue one way for months at a time but appreciate being able to repose it once in awhile and give it a fresh look; which isn't something you can do with a statue. So I can be sympathetic to the frustration that suddenly with these few particular figures this aspect of how they have always enjoyed their figure is no longer an option with these few particular figures when it had been an option with so many figures in the past.

So yeah, collectors should be informed and make an informed decision about what they are buying. And speaking to that, these forums are one of the few ways we could be informed about the issue before buying it. Hot Toys doesn't tell you that before you buy it; without the forum, or previous experience with a figure who has a costume made out of this material, you wouldn't know until after you bought it and read the instructions. It's almost a bait and switch by Hot Toys to find out you can't actually leave him in many of the poses they use in their promotional images. Again, I can understand the frustration; and I am not sure why some or so intolerant of those venting a bit about it.

With that said, I personally have not even given canceling my order over this issue any consideration, but I am a bit disappointed that I may not be able to leave him in anything other than a museum pose for any real length of time. But I still like it enough to want it in hand and I'll find some other way to pose him; and if I get board with it on my shelf where I can't have him posed more dynamically, maybe I'll sell him down the line. But, again I do understand the frustration. I don't "play" with my figures like I may have when I was a kid; I like to pose them and put them on the shelf in that pose for a while. It is a REAL thing that this option is more limited with this figure more than most others because of the material they use. I know about this because people talk about it here on the forum. So I don't think we should criticize those talking about it because I appreciate knowing about it so I can make an informed decision.

samezies, pretty stoked for mk 4 now too, and dying to see what they do with mk 7

Absolutely. I'm sure the Mk4 will be just as impressive and I'm sure HTs is gonna go all out for the Mk7.

I read a Facebook post about it too, something to do with better articulation :lol Oh well, popcorn gifs? :lol

tenor.gif

Back