1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 296 - Avengers: AoU - Vision

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I correct in saying there have been no appearances of this figure apart from the official Hot Toys photography? No Secret Base display or anything? Does this point to them doing a major overhaul of the sculpt or something?

Am I correct in saying there have been no appearances of this figure apart from the official Hot Toys photography? No Secret Base display or anything? Does this point to them doing a major overhaul of the sculpt or something?

I hope so, I think the head sculpt leaves a lot to be desired.

I think they outdid themselves with the design for movie Vision. He looked fantastic. Still wish we'd gotten an EX for him in his "naked" form that included the Cradle.

No it does not. They may change small things but once a figure is "revealed" and they are taking orders for it, the major changes thing is gone. There are legal issues involved. It's complicated but generally nothing significant will be changed at that stage.

After seeing the film, this is one of my favorite characters, but I just hate the design so much. I'll be getting Scarlet, but not this guy. The design is just too damn ugly.
I actually feel the opposite. I like the Vision figure very much, but SW's face just looks odd, to me. To each his own!

No it does not. They may change small things but once a figure is "revealed" and they are taking orders for it, the major changes thing is gone. There are legal issues involved. It's complicated but generally nothing significant will be changed at that stage.

Didn't the Man of Steel Superman figure change quite a bit from the initial prototype photos and the final figure? The head might have stayed the same (roughly) but I know the body changed quite a bit.

Didn't the Man of Steel Superman figure change quite a bit from the initial prototype photos and the final figure? The head might have stayed the same (roughly) but I know the body changed quite a bit.

Depends on what photos you are going by. The once it went up for sale photos? Then not really no. If things are to be changed it would happen like Drax. They show a proto before approval and then the license holder and/or engineering says it needs a rework. All before it's put up for sale.

Once the figure is out up for order they can not make large scale changes without major risk and issue. Especially with the way PO works with retailers(how they have to order and pay from sideshow and sideshow to hot toys , or other similar supply chains). They can do minor changes. But not any major changes.

So if HT were to alter the lines on Vision's face or modify the ears, would that be considered a minor or major change?

Depends on what photos you are going by. The once it went up for sale photos? Then not really no. If things are to be changed it would happen like Drax. They show a proto before approval and then the license holder and/or engineering says it needs a rework. All before it's put up for sale.

Once the figure is out up for order they can not make large scale changes without major risk and issue. Especially with the way PO works with retailers(how they have to order and pay from sideshow and sideshow to hot toys , or other similar supply chains). They can do minor changes. But not any major changes.
I would say spiderman was a major change...

7b983b9aa2a408cc19138c25eb0c125ac6f6be8e.gif

tumblr_nf6lb0z1dd1taz3j8o2_500.png

I would say spiderman was a major change...

I would disagree. It wasn't redesigned. The main scheme wasn't changed. They didn't make him a lot larger or smaller. What changed was people's perceptions of the material. Again...this is a legal issue. They CANT just change in any major way once they start accepting orders. If they do they have to allow a no questions asked full no penalty refund to both customers and retailers. And given how people cancel orders all the time giving an out like that is a huge loss for a company. They also, if there is major changes, not only have to offer the opt out but need to get consent from every person that preordered to show they are aware of said change and still want it. Otherwise they can get hit with mail fraud charges. One count for each figure sold. Which can carry huge fines and loss of import licenses and al kinds of crap. So, as I said...they can't do a major change. Not without a huge amount of extra work. And that doesn't take into account that a figure has to have approval before its offered for order from the license holder (marvel, DC, WB, Sony ect) and if there are any changes they have to take it back thru that process of approval which takes months (up to a year). See Drax. There is your first hand example of what happens when a "major" change is to happen. No other figure. The Bat is the only other one I can think of that has gone through a major redesign. And again, that all happens BEFORE an item is out up for order.

The definition of major can vary from person to person. Which is what I think is the issue here. But generally speaking the figure will be very close to the prototype used in the sales photos. Going from a 70/30 poly blend on a suit to a 60/40 blend is not a major change. Moving a hand carved scar on a face over .2 mill is not a major change. Making the face features 100% symmetrical is not major. Going from a 1/6 bat to a 1/12 bat is major. Completly changing both the placement and design and amount and color of raised scars/tats that cover 65% of a figure and function as wardrobe is major (drax).

Back