1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Man 3: MMS197D02 Mark XLII Diecast Series Official Spec/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another thing that I've been wondering: how well would the die-cast Ironmen (Mk.42 and Iron Patriot) fare up by having them in static standing poses on the standard Hot Toys crotch-holder (black) stand? I guess that's a question we'll only be able to answer once SOMEONE gets one of these in-hand...

All my other 6 Marks (1-2, 4-6) are on those stands (even the soon-to-be Mk.7 comes with one), and I'd like to keep the displayed collection consistent even with the Iron Patriot, Mk.42 and eventual Mk.3...

Hey guy, I have seen asking this question many times but never received a proper answer. So I will ask until I get the answer I am looking for. What is the different with the die-cast version and the regular MMS version? Any chance HT going to make IM I-VII in die-cast?

Cancelled my Mark VII PO when HT first announced the Diecast Series. I think Diecast is the way to go for Iron Man suits and this one looks promising so far.

Hey guy, I have seen asking this question many times but never received a proper answer. So I will ask until I get the answer I am looking for. What is the different with the die-cast version and the regular MMS version? Any chance HT going to make IM I-VII in die-cast?

Diecast ones look more realistic due to the metallic nature of such material. MMS ones are made out of plastic but can offer more gimmicks and accessories. I believe HT will eventually re-release many IM suits in diecast version, including I-VII. Big chance of them doing so. Hope you can finally put your spamming to rest. :lol

If I'm wrong, somone correct me, but it's my understanding that there is no regular MMS XLII release planned, as there will only be the MMS D02 XLII (diecast), and the Power-Pose XLII (Plastic Statue). As for other armours in diecast, who knows.

Diecast ones look more realistic due to the metallic nature of such material.

How does the material its made of make it *look* more realistic?

we're talking about painted parts, gloss red looks gloss red regardless of if its metal or plastic underneath.

and given we're talking about scaled versions, any small details on the original 1:1 object are harder to reproduce when done in diecast metal.

if anything a plastic version would *look* better.

If I'm wrong, somone correct me, but it's my understanding that there is no regular MMS XLII release planned, as there will only be the MMS D02 XLII (diecast), and the Power-Pose XLII (Plastic Statue). As for other armours in diecast, who knows.

There has been no information to suggest plastic MMS figures for Iron Man.

but we don't know their future plans.

fact is, they have something at the bottom end of the market, and something at the top end.

is there a *need* for something in the middle.

How does the material its made of make it *look* more realistic?

we're talking about painted parts, gloss red looks gloss red regardless of if its metal or plastic underneath.

and given we're talking about scaled versions, any small details on the original 1:1 object are harder to reproduce when done in diecast metal.

if anything a plastic version would *look* better.

I don't know why but you can tell when something is plastic or metal regardless of the paint job.
Like how those die-cast/metal toy car models looks better than the plastics ones.

Diecast ones look more realistic due to the metallic nature of such material. MMS ones are made out of plastic but can offer more gimmicks and accessories. I believe HT will eventually re-release many IM suits in diecast version, including I-VII. Big chance of them doing so. Hope you can finally put your spamming to rest. :lol

I hope you are right that HT will re-release Mk. I-VII incl. WM in die-cast. I have been missing on everything IM so it would be nice to start with this new line.

I meant, what is the different between MMS figs and Die-cast. I know there isn't any regular MMS XLII out yet.

MMS D02? Where is D01? Is it the Iron Patriot?

I hope you are right that HT will re-release Mk. I-VII incl. WM in die-cast. I have been missing on everything IM so it would be nice to start with this new line.

That be cool if they do that. Gives some new folks a chance to get some older marks. I personally would get 3,5,6 from IM2 and WM.:yess:

So... Adi Granov is doing the box art for these now.
That explains a lot; I'm sure they had to pay him a butt-load of cash for that, the cost of which HT will happily pass along to their customers, and justify it by adding a few die-cast pieces. It's great that Adi Granov is involved, and we will get his authentic artwork on the boxes, but... I still feel like the whole 'die-cast' thing is a transparent marketing ploy, which will give rise to serious problems as the 'die-cast' figures age.

On the porous surface of a standard plastic figure, the paint adheres extremely well over time, because it seeps into the tiny pores. If a high-quality lacquer is used, even better- because it will actually bond with the plastic surface at the molecular level. Then, as the plastic expands and contracts very slightly with temperature changes, the paint/lacquer expands and contracts with it.

The problem I anticipate with the die-cast line:
Metal expands and contracts much more than plastic does under similar temperature changes; Because the surface is metallic, and therefor less porous, it won't bond with the paint nearly as well as plastic would. Over time, the expansion/contraction of the metal will cause the paint to separate from the metal.
Because the HT Die-Cast line is only partially metal, eventually we will have chips in the metal parts, probably large and small, while the plastic parts will retain their original uniform paint, perhaps for decades longer.

I admit I'm tempted to buy the XVII and Patriot anyway, because they do look good, but I have a feeling I will eventually have to custom-paint them both to BD versions, in order to hide the chips...

Last edited:
Diecast ones look more realistic due to the metallic nature of such material.

Unless the result you want is a dull greyish metal, that's a load of absolute bollocks.

I don't know why but you can tell when something is plastic or metal regardless of the paint job.
Like how those die-cast/metal toy car models looks better than the plastics ones.

As someone who's made hundreds of models over the years, more bollocks.

And die-cast, for fine detail, is poorer than plastic. Those die-cast metal cars all have soft, rounded panel lines, and softer, less crisp details.

Die-cast is chump bait.

Here's another thing that I've been wondering: how well would the die-cast Ironmen (Mk.42 and Iron Patriot) fare up by having them in static standing poses on the standard Hot Toys crotch-holder (black) stand? I guess that's a question we'll only be able to answer once SOMEONE gets one of these in-hand...

Not sure why you think they wouldn't be perfectly fine. :confused:

So... Adi Granov is doing the box art for these now.
That explains a lot; I'm sure they had to pay him a butt-load of cash for that, the cost of which HT will happily pass along to their customers, and justify it by adding a few die-cast pieces...
If I've read the thread correctly, Adi is doing the packaging for the Play Imaginative Iron Man, not Hot Toys.

Back