1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Man 3: MMS197D02 Mark XLII Diecast Series Official Spec/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read several blanket statements in this and and the IP thread that the paint will not adhere to the metal pieces of these diecast figures as well as it does on plastic and over time it will chip. That may be true with all things being equal but for all we know Hot Toys has developed a special bonding agent that will be applied to the metal piece before the paint is applied allowing it to adhere better to the metal surface.

My point is we don't know what the manufacturing process will be for these figures because Hot Toys hasn't said anything about it as far as I know. Maybe it has more to do with some people being upset because Hot Toys is moving away from full plastic figures and adding metal and increasing prices so they want flame any piece with metal parts. I don't know but I for one will take these comments with a gain of salt at this point because of the lack of any information on how these die-cast pieces will be manufactured,

Love this figure!

575906_510695742325754_251267095_n.jpg

Really like the armor behind the head to avoid the pencil-neck look of past Iron Man figures:

149026_510695815659080_1327299703_n.jpg

The suit looks pretty good in these shots, especially the side on shot, it looks quite bulky and the gap underneath the chest doesn't look too big. I just hope the gold/cream in hand is a bit lighter. i really don't like that mustard colour. Still debating on if i should pre order or not. Going to wait till I've seen the film on the 26th and see which armors i prefer as they will no doubt be made.

I have read several blanket statements in this and and the IP thread that the paint will not adhere to the metal pieces of these diecast figures as well as it does on plastic and over time it will chip.

Dammit. I paid more for my Chogokin C3PO and it's going to eventually chip :gah:

I would love to see the sales numbers and production costs of both this and the Iron Patriot.

Even with them scaling back accessories and the total amount of metal used, I can't imagine these things being as profitable as the plastic ones.

How long will it even take for them to recoup all the initial R&D costs for switching over to die cast? They had to figure out the logistics, purchase the facilities or contract out the die work, and all of that couldn't have been cheap or easy.

Standard retail markup is typically around 30%. I honestly can't imagine they are making that much of each of these guys. At least not until they have recouped enough of the initial production costs of simply switching over to die cast.

Hey guy, I have seen asking this question many times but never received a proper answer. So I will ask until I get the answer I am looking for. What is the different with the die-cast version and the regular MMS version? Any chance HT going to make IM I-VII in die-cast?

Are you asking for opinions or facts?

You haven't gotten a direct answer because there isn't one.

The only definitive info HT has releasde was the statement below.

Here is the TRANSLATED statement from Hot Toys regarding the changes. EVERYTHING else is speculation.

According to HT: Collectors have always been complaining that Iron Man figures from HT aren’t solid or heavy enough; so when HT received the green light to manufacture Iron Man 3 figures, we wanted to implement new design. After many research and development, we came out with this new series MMS Diecast Series, by using diecast material yet not compromising its pose ability.
Say good bye to ‘pink panties’
In order to make it [Iron], part of the components need to be compromised; there can’t be too many details when using die cast, for example helmet will be made of plastics. Die cast part will be used on arms and legs. The figure will be consist of 40% die cast hence it will weight around 1.5 kg; it will be one of the heavy weight figure. On the other hand, the usual ‘panty’ PVC part will be replaced by ABS, the ‘pink panties’ issue will be resolved.
The joint part will be even more realistic.
Would there be a problem since it is much heavier now? HT has modified part of the joints with ratchet mechanism, hence improvising the pose ability on diecast material. There more development on other parts: the chest and abdominal are comprised of 3 parts, allowing more movement; elbow consists of 3 joints, hence it could bend more than 90 degrees, all these development are to achieve more human realism. Whilst on head sculpt, despite Don Cheadle has approved it, JC. Hong is yet to be satisfied hence it is still under some modifications. Iron Man fans have to be more patient before the final head sculpt is being released.

And they do plan on making other Marks in diecast. Which, I'm not sure.

Maybe the inner parts/frame is die cast.
Giving it weight andmaking it more sturdy,while keeping the outer parts plastic for more detail.

Are you asking for opinions or facts?

You haven't gotten a direct answer because there isn't one.

The only definitive info HT has releasde was the statement below.

Here is the TRANSLATED statement from Hot Toys regarding the changes. EVERYTHING else is speculation.

According to HT: Collectors have always been complaining that Iron Man figures from HT aren’t solid or heavy enough; so when HT received the green light to manufacture Iron Man 3 figures, we wanted to implement new design. After many research and development, we came out with this new series MMS Diecast Series, by using diecast material yet not compromising its pose ability.
Say good bye to ‘pink panties’
In order to make it [Iron], part of the components need to be compromised; there can’t be too many details when using die cast, for example helmet will be made of plastics. Die cast part will be used on arms and legs. The figure will be consist of 40% die cast hence it will weight around 1.5 kg; it will be one of the heavy weight figure. On the other hand, the usual ‘panty’ PVC part will be replaced by ABS, the ‘pink panties’ issue will be resolved.
The joint part will be even more realistic.
Would there be a problem since it is much heavier now? HT has modified part of the joints with ratchet mechanism, hence improvising the pose ability on diecast material. There more development on other parts: the chest and abdominal are comprised of 3 parts, allowing more movement; elbow consists of 3 joints, hence it could bend more than 90 degrees, all these development are to achieve more human realism. Whilst on head sculpt, despite Don Cheadle has approved it, JC. Hong is yet to be satisfied hence it is still under some modifications. Iron Man fans have to be more patient before the final head sculpt is being released.

And they do plan on making other Marks in diecast. Which, I'm not sure.

Maybe the inner parts/frame is die cast.
Giving it weight andmaking it more sturdy,while keeping the outer parts plastic for more detail.

Hopefully, we won't have to wait until these ship a year from now to find out. Hopefully, at one of the cons coming up, someone will be able to hold, touch a diecast and be able to report what the differences are. :pray:

Hopefully, we won't have to wait until these ship a year from now to find out. Hopefully, at one of the cons coming up, someone will be able to hold, touch a diecast and be able to report what the differences are. :pray:

Yes,agreed

You like die-cast, AND you want him in a flight pose? LOL. Good luck with that.

But hey, at least that inital pulling him out of the box will be "whoa, nice and heavy"!
Yes, I would like the option of doing this advertised pose, and I assume the new base will be heavy enough to allow it. At least I hope.

PD1365156683ICz.jpg

I have read several blanket statements in this and and the IP thread that the paint will not adhere to the metal pieces of these diecast figures as well as it does on plastic and over time it will chip. That may be true with all things being equal but for all we know Hot Toys has developed a special bonding agent that will be applied to the metal piece before the paint is applied allowing it to adhere better to the metal surface.

My point is we don't know what the manufacturing process will be for these figures because Hot Toys hasn't said anything about it as far as I know. Maybe it has more to do with some people being upset because Hot Toys is moving away from full plastic figures and adding metal and increasing prices so they want flame any piece with metal parts. I don't know but I for one will take these comments with a gain of salt at this point because of the lack of any information on how these die-cast pieces will be manufactured,

I can say as a person who used to collect NASCAR. The ones from 95 to 96. Did have problems. But not paint. What I don't care of unlike Nascar. These are War Machines. WM are not shiny. They are dull, I don't care what weapon it is. I have yet to see one and I only order just the Mark42 so far (give me the gray/blue WM and I will order it). I like the plastic ones better. They are not shiny.

I will say this. There is a point where I will stop if the price get to high. Why not 1/6 but 3.75 and plastic they are $5.99 and I have 28 of them so far ($168). Do the math and space even if they put out 15, Ouch! 15x$310 (shipping?)=$4650 plus add the new Mech Tony, Pepper, WM (Gray/Blue and Red white and blue) $1210 = $5860 This is about what my 1/1 Exo cost me.

This is what RCCA did, Stock in the company drop and you started to see their stuff in Wal-Mart, Target and Oh My K-Mart.

Oh, and most RCCA cars can now be had for under $20 where they used to sell new for $100 back in 97/00. The only one I have that has any value to it. Is Tarry Labone E. Red Roster (only 5 made).

Yes, I would like the option of doing this advertised pose, and I assume the new base will be heavy enough to allow it. At least I hope.

PD1365156683ICz.jpg

will the plastic rod be enough to hold it though...I am skeptical...but I like the weight addition as it means I can pose him without the stand :)

top "foot pegs" portion of the base looks metal. the rest looks to be plastic. as far as die-cast having a "dull metal" look to it. that's not true at all (though it may have been for lines containing it that people have collected before giving them that impression). it totally depends on how its finished. it can be glossy or matte

So... Adi Granov is doing the box art for these now.
That explains a lot; I'm sure they had to pay him a butt-load of cash for that

its because they are using the design and art from the movie which was his work. he is not doing the box art specifically for ht's.

Last edited:
top "foot pegs" portion of the base looks metal. the rest looks to be plastic

its because they are using the design and art from the movie which was his work. he is not doing the box art specifically for ht's.

Makes sense. Since I just discovered the Play Imaginative figure, I recently posted the specs on it. And they credit Adi for the packaging artwork too.

Play Imaginative Specs

Comprises of at least 88% die-cast metal alloy
Die-cast metal mask, torso, arms, & legs
Battery operated lights for ARC Reactor, eyes
& palm areas (batteries included)
Magnetised feet automatically activate
Hall of Armor lights when placed in position
Armored figurine with 50 points of articulation
Ball-jointed shoulders for full range of
arm movements
Double-jointed body, bendable at upper torso
Fully articulated hands and fingers
Comes with a figure stand
Packaging artwork by Adi Granov

So what do we think from now on what will be next reveal from iron man 3? I may get this but am goin to hold off until bit later and wait and see if the heartbraker comes in die cast as that will get brought straight away and from what i seen in trailers it looks like the suit used at the end, thoughts?

I'm hoping HT will announce THE MANDERIN.
Also, there's a split-second shot in the trailer showing the Brute Armor (Hulkbuster) crashing through a wall.
I suspect that one, if produced, will be a couple years out; it's another 'Iron Monger' sized item.
For now, I'd love to see a Manderin announced, with ALL the trimmings and accessories. NO METAL REQUIRED.

I'm sorry but I have to....it's M-A-N-D-A-R-I-N :1-1:

Also, there's a split-second shot in the trailer showing the Brute Armor (Hulkbuster) crashing through a wall.
I suspect that one, if produced, will be a couple years out; it's another 'Iron Monger' sized item.
For now, I'd love to see a Manderin announced, with ALL the trimmings and accessories. NO METAL REQUIRED.

I think Igor will be a PPS

Back