1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Man 3 - Diecast MMS198D03 War Machine Mark 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard lots of people talk about all these problems with diecast, but really don't remember being shown hard examples.

Because its just random anecdotal hyperbole. They probably know a guy whos cousin told him diecast was junk. :lol

You can find examples of flaws in any materials being made. ANY!

Diecast toys (figures) from the 70s that have been cared for pretty much look like they do when purchased. I've got quite a few diecast 1/12 scale cars from the mid 90s that I purchased when I was into them. They still look just like they did when I bought them.

We're coming up on one year since Chogokin released C-3PO, do you see the mass of people complaining about that figure? No, in fact recently someone started a poll on the best Star Wars figure and it was winning.

People can say what they want and have their opinions, but in the end its just that, an opinion, nothing else, and surely nothing backed up with fact. I have a lifelong collection like millions of others of diecast stuff spanning decades with no problems, unless, as I stated before, it was something I abused as a child, but even that doesn't bother me, just makes it more vintage in my eyes.

Not saying that, but dont tell another member that he's not welcome to post his opinion when you are new here

Telling a member he should not post his opinion has nothing to do with the time a person has spent on this forum. In fact no one except for mods should be telling another member what or how they should post.

However, I agree with HDGuy84’s assessment that MRWalkers posts are not in the spirit of posting an opinion, MrWalker does that to goad and bait other members. Taking pleasure in another members posing issue was very bad form and the and example of trolling.

Would you think he was posting an opinion if someone posted that their die cast WM fell over and got badly damage and he posted something like “HA HA, That’s what you get for buying die cast”

That may sound hyperbolic but it is exactly what he would do.

well in the MMS 233 thread we all complained constantly and HT actually made a ton of changes to it... so there is a point to continue bringing up an issue or opinion..

I seriously doubt Hot Toys is going to discontinue their use of die cast because of MrWalker comments.

Calling die cast gimmicky is a silly. II have seen die cast model cars that most people can not afford. In The case of War Machine, we now he has the more heft (which I happen to like) and better articulation. I also think the paint looks fantastic.

As for durability, I have a die cast Slave 1 that’s older then you and it still looks great.

Because its just random anecdotal hyperbole. They probably know a guy whos cousin told him diecast was junk. :lol

You can find examples of flaws in any materials being made. ANY!

I’m starting to think that the displeasure over die cast may be based in concerns that Hot Toys may revisit the entire IM line and make them all in die cast. And if the newer versions are as good as War Machine, they would make the older figures seem antiquated.

I’m starting to think that the displeasure over die cast may be based in concerns that Hot Toys may revisit the entire IM line and make them all in die cast. And if the newer versions are as good as War Machine, they would make the older figures seem antiquated.

I am trying to stay reserved until I get mine on Tuesday, but tbh if early reviews are an indicator, I personally would be excited if they revisited a few of the armors, but I only own Mk 3, 5, and Midas, until my War Machine arrives, so I see your point; someone with a dozen figures may feel like they are starting all over, especially for the people who are completists, this is already an expensive line to go all in on.

I am trying to stay reserved until I get mine on Tuesday, but tbh if early reviews are an indicator, I personally would be excited if they revisited a few of the armors, but I only own Mk 3, 5, and Midas, until my War Machine arrives, so I see your point; someone with a dozen figures may feel like they are starting all over, especially for the people who are completists, this is already an expensive line to go all in on.

You and Boba are spot on- I didn't even take that into consideration. That is a point of concern that a lot of people will now consider their older plastic Iron Man armors "inferior" or "antiquated" if Hot Toys decides to do 2.0 releases on all of them with diecasts (MKI has a 2.0 update, albeit without diecast and was updated in a superior fashion).

I commented on the Rescue Cap thread when another member complained that the figure hadn't sold out yet, stating he was upset that he was disappointed the figure wasn't rare and therefore he didn't have a ultra valuable figure in his collection. To me, and again this is merely my opinion, that is absurd and very selfish. This is like Scrouge McDuck and the Grinch adopted Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and taught her to be even more spoiled... why would you not want other collectors to enjoy the hobby?

Mind you I am not singling anyone out in particular, I am hypothesising one possible scenario that seems rather plausible. If Hot Toys revisits the majority of the Iron Man releases then the aftermarket prices of say Secret Project, Midas, Mark I 2.0, Avengers MKVII, etc would not have a lot of weight versus the newer updated "superior" (to some, if diecast is your cup-o'-tea) Mark release).

I could see why some people would be resistant to the newer concept. It could mean having to replace your current collection, or having envy when people have better sculpts/figures with updated materials/accessories/etc in their collections... to me? It's exciting. Those of us late to the game now have the opportunity to fill the holes in the collection.

Again until any official announcement is made this is merely conjecture.

OMG you really had me there! My heart skipped a beat :lol

Lol. The last thing I want to do is induce a heart attack in a fellow freak. But seriously, I have never had an issue with just the shippers as far as condition upon arrival. They have all been good. I probably have just jinxed myself.... :rotfl

You and Boba are spot on- I didn't even take that into consideration. That is a point of concern that a lot of people will now consider their older plastic Iron Man armors "inferior" or "antiquated" if Hot Toys decides to do 2.0 releases on all of them with diecasts (MKI has a 2.0 update, albeit without diecast and was updated in a superior fashion).

I commented on the Rescue Cap thread when another member complained that the figure hadn't sold out yet, stating he was upset that he was disappointed the figure wasn't rare and therefore he didn't have a ultra valuable figure in his collection. To me, and again this is merely my opinion, is absurd and very selfish. This is like Scrouge McDuck and the Grinch adopted Viloet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and taught her to be even more spoiled... why would you not want other collectors to enjoy the hobby?

Mind you I am not singling anyone out in particular, I am hypothesising one possible scenario that seems rather plausible. If Hot Toys revisits the majority of the Iron Man releases then the aftermarket prices of say Secret Project, Midas, Mark I 2.0, Avengers MKVII, etc would not have a lot of weight versus the newer updated "superior" (to some, if diecast is your cup-o'-tea) Mark release).

I could see why some people would be resistant to the newer concept. It could mean having to replace your current collection, or having envy when people have better sculpts/figures with updated materials/accessories/etc in their collections... to me? It's exciting. Those of us late to the game now have the opportunity to fill the holes in the collection.

Again until any official announcement is made this is merely conjecture.

Well said :duff

I think you have the bones for the start of a dissertation in there. :lol

I may have written one or two... lol

Keep in mind though I have a low post count. Evidently my opinions and sound logic doesn't mean anything until I break 4,000 posts...

Why is this figure still available to purchase from SS? I am happy that it's still available for retail but at the same time I am disappointed. It drives the value of the figure down. This went on sale at the same time as the Dark Night Gordon. I actually ordered this as soon as it went on sale July 3, 2012. I was thinking it would sell out within days since it is a SDCC 2012 exclusive. Gordon sold out in a few days and now he can fetch 300-almost 500 on Ebay. Rescue Cap is still available a year and a half later and he can be had cheap on Ebay. I mean I don't really care, I still like the figure. But it would be nice to know that I own a high value figure. Like Hawkeye, Hulk, or Mark VII, Joker.

Here is the post I was referencing in the Rescue Cap thread. I bolded the part of concern. Sure, knowing you own a figure of high value is nice and all, but this member is advocating for this item to sell out so no one else can purchase it and he can essentially be like "Muahahaha! My sinister plot of owning the sold out SDCC2012 Exclusive Rescue Captain America and then selling him for a high mark up is complete! Dance for me collector market... DANCE!!!!"

Of course that is dramatic, but I mean c'mon... hoping things sell out so you have a high valued item? Call me a nice guy and all but I want the entire community to be able to enjoy the hobby. I don't want everyone to to have to pay an arm and a leg for highly sought after items. I helped one guy out with a 300 King Leonidas that a local shop here had for $175. Could I have purchased it and doubled my profit? Sure... but I'm not a jerk. I didn't want nor need the item in my collection, but this guy did. Perhaps one of my sought after items will come about one day and karma will repay me, perhaps not but hey... I did a solid for the guy.

One thing this forum has taught me is this: Damn there is a lot of nice guys on here but the jerks and pompous self-righteous attitudes some of you guys have here is astonishing.

This is suppose to be fun. Post counts? Who cares. Don't like diecasts? Don't post and rain on those who do enjoy it. Instead of all that politely educate and/or try and lead people down the correct path.

Anyways, thats my share of peanuts from the gallery. Back to War Machine Mark II (which mine arrives roughly Thursday-Friday).

Yep, well said, HDGuy.

In regards to some of the diecast arguments, what annoys me is just the fanaticism of one or two posters' positions. Diecast can never be good and must always be bad -- even if War Machine Mark II has double the articulation of plastic counterparts, it's still bad because it might fall or the paint might chip or it's too heavy for a flying pose (there's 40 other Iron Mans to choose from if that's a problem, but it has to be this one that he might want to pose flying *rolls eyes*).

My argument stands- don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't like it? Don't visit this thread! It's simple! I don't like Celtic Predator so guess what? I'm not buying it and I don't go look at the Celtic Predator thread and I most certainly don't go there and list senseless and nonconstructive points of why I dislike it to instigate people.

Not everything is for everyone. That is fine and dandy. Predator isn't for me. Diecast War Machine MKII isn't for other folks- but it is in my wheelhouse. Bring on the diecast.

Correction- ELDER Predator isn't for me.

Tracker and Falconer on the other hand...

Telling a member he should not post his opinion has nothing to do with the time a person has spent on this forum. In fact no one except for mods should be telling another member what or how they should post.

However, I agree with HDGuy84’s assessment that MRWalkers posts are not in the spirit of posting an opinion, MrWalker does that to goad and bait other members. Taking pleasure in another members posing issue was very bad form and the and example of trolling.

Would you think he was posting an opinion if someone posted that their die cast WM fell over and got badly damage and he posted something like “HA HA, That’s what you get for buying die cast”

That may sound hyperbolic but it is exactly what he would do.

I seriously doubt Hot Toys is going to discontinue their use of die cast because of MrWalker comments.

Calling die cast gimmicky is a silly. II have seen die cast model cars that most people can not afford. In The case of War Machine, we now he has the more heft (which I happen to like) and better articulation. I also think the paint looks fantastic.

As for durability, I have a die cast Slave 1 that’s older then you and it still looks great.

Talk about missing a point...

Bold 1: I agree but its even more ridiculous coming from a new member, it would be like HD (a doctor) being tol what to do by a med student... med student may have similar education or be top of his class but a doctor still wouldn't appreciate being told what to do by a student. (Im not referring to consultations or anything, just a loose example)

Bold 2:I didn't say it was going to change HT's methods, HD said someone should post their opinion once and leave it at that, I was saying that ones opinion could and should be repeated so as to not be silenced and buried in the frenzy of fangirls getting panty wet

I may have written one or two... lol

Keep in mind though I have a low post count. Evidently my opinions and sound logic doesn't mean anything until I break 4,000 posts...

Never said your low post count devalued your posts... just mentioning it because you told another member he shouldn't be posting his opinion. you can keep going though, I have a long night ahead of me

My argument stands- don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't like it? Don't visit this thread! It's simple! I don't like Celtic Predator so guess what? I'm not buying it and I don't go look at the Celtic Predator thread and I most certainly don't go there and list senseless and nonconstructive points of why I dislike it to instigate people.

Not everything is for everyone. That is fine and dandy. Predator isn't for me. Diecast War Machine MKII isn't for other folks- but it is in my wheelhouse. Bring on the diecast.

It's perfectly reasonable to see something and like it, but not be able to buy it. and to comment on its flaws etc... is fine, just cause you wont be buying it doesn't mean one shouldn't voice an opinion over it

Bold 1: I agree but its even more ridiculous coming from a new member, it would be like HD (a doctor) being tol what to do by a med student... med student may have similar education or be top of his class but a doctor still wouldn't appreciate being told what to do by a student. (Im not referring to consultations or anything, just a loose example)

Bold 2:I didn't say it was going to change HT's methods, HD said someone should post their opinion once and leave it at that, I was saying that ones opinion could and should be repeated so as to not be silenced and buried in the frenzy of fangirls getting panty wet

Never said your low post count devalued your posts... just mentioning it because you told another member he shouldn't be posting his opinion. you can keep going though, I have a long night ahead of me

You're trying to compare practicing medicine with opinions on toys...

With that I'm removing myself from this conversation. In doing so logic has also been removed from the conversation.

I think your doctor analogy is flawed. You know nothing about HDGuys level of experience and metaphorically have reduced him to a “med student” on this forum based solely on his number of posts.

A more apt analogy would be if a new doctor showed up in the ER and HDGuy dismissed his opinion based solely on the fact that he had only been in his ER for a few months.

I will reiterate that I honestly believe that MrWalkers intentions are not to influence people wth his opinions. I feel he does it in the true spirit of a troll and I can not believe the mods let him get away with it.

BTW: I get my Gantry tomorrow and my WM Wednesday :)

Back