1/6 Hot Toys - Infinity War - Iron Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did they actually sell 2 to 4 times or were they just priced at 2 to 4 times? There's a difference.

The thing I don't understand with scalpers on eBay is that they inflate the price to an unjustifiable price. I've never been inclined to flip a figure for a profit, but as a buyer who occasionally scours eBay for figures no longer in production I am willing to pay maybe $50-100 more than retail. I think that's a fair premium to pay, however scalpers that try to sell for a $300-400 profit are just dumb. As soon as I see prices that crazy high I just scroll past it.

As do most collectors. But there only needs to be one, affluent or time-poor collector for them to get their price.

Your mistake Gmoney is in imagining they're anything like you. They're not collectors. they're not even good people - they're parasites.

As do most collectors. But there only needs to be one, affluent or time-poor collector for them to get their price.

Your mistake Gmoney is in imagining they're anything like you. They're not collectors. they're not even good people - they're parasites.

Just to play devils advocate, say you sit on an IM figure for a year or 2 and it doubles in value. And you decide to sell for market value to upgrade in your eyes to 2 new IM figures. Is that a bad thing? Is the collector supposed to sell for Hot Toys suggested retail price years later?

In all other hobbies I’ve been apart of, the market isn’t viewed as a negative thing. It’s part of the game. I know the market is tough but sometimes i as a collector have sold to acquire something new. I just don’t believe what the majority on here do regarding the secondary market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't sold a single one of my Hot Toys figures, but I don't mind people selling things for market value. The seller doesn't determine what the market is willing to pay. The buyers do. If I had a figure that people would be willing to pay $1000 for, why would i sell it for $400? If people don't buy it, the prices will come down.

I’ve been trying to follow this thread but getting lost in the details. Is the point being debated wether we as collectors should sell at market value or some predefined retail price when we go to secondary market to sell?

If there is one thing I have learned from years of watching Antiques Roadshow, it is that the longer one holds on to something "valuable", the less it sells for over time. Doesn't matter much to me; I just buy what I want, and have not sold anything I have bought yet. Don't really plan to at any point

I don't mind selling figures for a profit, because oftentimes I sell them at a loss. If something has a suspected high value I'll put it up for auction & let the market truly decide what it's value is.

If there is one thing I have learned from years of watching Antiques Roadshow, it is that the longer one holds on to something "valuable", the less it sells for over time.

Resale prices for anything vary over time with both rarity and demand, and lots of things change demand both up and down. Mid century modern items were worthless thrift store shelf warmers till it became popular and "in", and prices went up. Once the next decorating fad hits it will fade. Actual antiques ride many many up and down swings in price. The only people that make money in antiques are able to find and acquire things that aren't in demand now at low prices, or to travel and get things where they're plentiful and cheap and take them to where customers are.

Figures go up and down the same way, based on demand. OG Avengers Hawkeye was incredibly valuable in between A1 and Ultron as it was under produced and sold out before people realized the movie was great and they wanted the whole team. It was not a particularly good figure. Once Ultron Hawk came out the price cratered, as people suddenly had an outlet to buy a Hawkeye for their team, and only moreso as more movies have come out as people have more options and better sculpts. The flipside is Avengers Loki. Stayed at about retail for a while, once Dark World Loki was announced, Avengers Loki shot up in price, purely because DW Loki was noticeably a worse figure, and everyone who decided to wait for the next one panicked. There's probably not going to be another classic Loki figure, but if it gets reissued and improved watch that price drop.

Its been the typical case that older figures drop in price, its just usually because the same character is in a new movie every 2 years, and the quality and engineering level has been going through the roof- no one is going to fight over Avengers 1 Thor when there's Ragnarok or Infinity versions. Or the new diecast original 7 Iron Man armors that make the originals look faded and off model. But at some point these characters wont be in the films anymore, and one particular version will end up being the Captain America or the Doctor Strange to have, but if that figure is out already or if we haven't seen it yet is anyones guess.

Resale prices for anything vary over time with both rarity and demand, and lots of things change demand both up and down. Mid century modern items were worthless thrift store shelf warmers till it became popular and "in", and prices went up. Once the next decorating fad hits it will fade. Actual antiques ride many many up and down swings in price. The only people that make money in antiques are able to find and acquire things that aren't in demand now at low prices, or to travel and get things where they're plentiful and cheap and take them to where customers are.

Figures go up and down the same way, based on demand. OG Avengers Hawkeye was incredibly valuable in between A1 and Ultron as it was under produced and sold out before people realized the movie was great and they wanted the whole team. It was not a particularly good figure. Once Ultron Hawk came out the price cratered, as people suddenly had an outlet to buy a Hawkeye for their team, and only moreso as more movies have come out as people have more options and better sculpts. The flipside is Avengers Loki. Stayed at about retail for a while, once Dark World Loki was announced, Avengers Loki shot up in price, purely because DW Loki was noticeably a worse figure, and everyone who decided to wait for the next one panicked. There's probably not going to be another classic Loki figure, but if it gets reissued and improved watch that price drop.

Its been the typical case that older figures drop in price, its just usually because the same character is in a new movie every 2 years, and the quality and engineering level has been going through the roof- no one is going to fight over Avengers 1 Thor when there's Ragnarok or Infinity versions. Or the new diecast original 7 Iron Man armors that make the originals look faded and off model. But at some point these characters wont be in the films anymore, and one particular version will end up being the Captain America or the Doctor Strange to have, but if that figure is out already or if we haven't seen it yet is anyones guess.

I said it before and I'll say it again, owning HTs is pretty much like owning stock. An example, I got Stan Lee below retail back when it was initially released, but now that the man has passed he apparently commands 7x what I paid for him in the current after-market. Prices will fluctuate and in the end if you have patience you will be rewarded (for both buyers and sellers).

Just to play devils advocate, say you sit on an IM figure for a year or 2 and it doubles in value. And you decide to sell for market value to upgrade in your eyes to 2 new IM figures. Is that a bad thing? Is the collector supposed to sell for Hot Toys suggested retail price years later?

In all other hobbies I’ve been apart of, the market isn’t viewed as a negative thing. It’s part of the game. I know the market is tough but sometimes i as a collector have sold to acquire something new. I just don’t believe what the majority on here do regarding the secondary market.

I was talking about scalpers per se, rather than collectors who occasionally sell figures. What people do is up to them, but I wouldn't buy a figure I didn't want, to sell on the secondary market at a mark-up. If I didn't want it I'd leave it in the store for someone who did want it.

Not everyone feels like that. They're free to do what they want and I'm free to think of them how I want.

I used to collect Lego and that has been ruined by the secondary market and scalping.

I was talking about scalpers per se, rather than collectors who occasionally sell figures. What people do is up to them, but I wouldn't buy a figure I didn't want, to sell on the secondary market at a mark-up. If I didn't want it I'd leave it in the store for someone who did want it.

Not everyone feels like that. They're free to do what they want and I'm free to think of them how I want.

I used to collect Lego and that has been ruined by the secondary market and scalping.

Old lego sets are unbelievable. I just wait for them to rerelease an updated set, problem is that could be 10 years or never.

Gotcha. Yeah atleast Hot Toys gives the opportunity for collectors to get their hands on almost any piece. Legos, Funko, both seem to be crazy.

Old lego sets are unbelievable. I just wait for them to rerelease an updated set, problem is that could be 10 years or never.

I used to feel bummed that I missed the original UCS Millennium Falcon because I was too late to the party building display Lego.. then they released the 10 year 'anniversary' UCS set that is much better.. Day 1 purchase (albeit expensive for RRP)

Just a heads up anyone buying from Ebay I was scammed from buying a Mark46.

Avoid this seller: kriclakri

On a side not I love the lego sets. Especially the modular series. Town hall, cinema, grand emporium, etc., are all great. I do feel the second hand market is putting a bad taste in my mouth with all these high prices. Makes just want to sell everything and focus on other hobbies. On top of that I now have to deal with this Ebay scammer and filling out paperwork and what not.

Just a heads up anyone buying from Ebay I was scammed from buying a Mark46.

Avoid this seller: kriclakri

On a side not I love the lego sets. Especially the modular series. Town hall, cinema, grand emporium, etc., are all great. I do feel the second hand market is putting a bad taste in my mouth with all these high prices. Makes just want to sell everything and focus on other hobbies. On top of that I now have to deal with this Ebay scammer and filling out paperwork and what not.

Sorry to hear, were you able to get your money back at least?

Sorry to hear, were you able to get your money back at least?

Yes, but I got a killer deal ($420 buy it now) and what really annoys me, is I was watching another auction that sold for a few dollars more that I missed out on. Getting scammed sucks. I feel violated. Makes you lose faith in your fellow human being.

Hoping to help someone else avoid a headache.

I used to feel bummed that I missed the original UCS Millennium Falcon because I was too late to the party building display Lego.. then they released the 10 year 'anniversary' UCS set that is much better.. Day 1 purchase (albeit expensive for RRP)

I jumped on the lego ucs a little late but picked up most of the early pieces, but then i sold those. Then I was out for a while but did order the first ucs falcon and I still have that in the mailer because I never did figure out where I would put it. Then i missed out on the super star destroyer but I hope it will be released again someday, I'm just not sure what they would revise for it.

And of course i bought the falcon 2 ucs for myself for my birthday and like the first release, I don't know where I'll put it. :)

Yes, but I got a killer deal ($420 buy it now) and what really annoys me, is I was watching another auction that sold for a few dollars more that I missed out on. Getting scammed sucks. I feel violated. Makes you lose faith in your fellow human being.

Hoping to help someone else avoid a headache.

Maybe once you get the concept 46 in hand it might change your viewpoint on needing the 46/47 immediately and you can wait it out a bit. The secondary market can be crazy.

I jumped on the lego ucs a little late but picked up most of the early pieces, but then i sold those. Then I was out for a while but did order the first ucs falcon and I still have that in the mailer because I never did figure out where I would put it. Then i missed out on the super star destroyer but I hope it will be released again someday, I'm just not sure what they would revise for it.

And of course i bought the falcon 2 ucs for myself for my birthday and like the first release, I don't know where I'll put it. :)

There's always Lepin...

*Lovingly looks at his bootleg UCS Falcon and Super Star Destroyer...and X-Wing...and Slave 1...*

Maybe once you get the concept 46 in hand it might change your viewpoint on needing the 46/47 immediately and you can wait it out a bit. The secondary market can be crazy.

Great point! I was thinking along those lines. I'm sure something will pop up for a decent price sooner or later. With the mark50 around the corner folks are bound to sell one to acquire another. Always happens.

What's the current status of release for this figure?

I was reading a few pages back that people were getting notified of their first flex payment....so maybe released in January?

Back