1/6 1/6 Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien - Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien (Updated with new prototype HS)

Wasn't the Big Chap one of HT's earliest releases?

Not if you're counting from their Famous Type "Matrix Neo" figure in 2000.

maPRSfwBwbr5Mozh2QT_O_Q.jpg

MMS106 I have in my head for some reason.

Oh OK, MMS106 isn't really that old at all. But I'm sure they could give us an improved figure.

Not if you're counting from their Famous Type "Matrix Neo" figure in 2000.

maPRSfwBwbr5Mozh2QT_O_Q.jpg

Hot Toys sure has come a long way in less than 15 years, huh?

Hot Toys sure has come a long way in less than 15 years, huh?

Yes, although 15 years is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

But I don't really count that Neo. I think HT really started making a splash when they offered up their original Scar Predator and their "kits" of the Aliens Marines. At least that's when there seemed to be a lot more talk about HT as the 'new kid on the block'. That was around 2006... so in eight short years they have really jetted into first place and taken control of this hobby.

I'm certain they will do a new Alien.

Yeah, with two new Ripleys, they've gotta take another whack at some new xenos. Personally, I'm hoping for a Big Chap, a Warrior and, of course, the Queen!

Does it make any sense to "reboot" the Alien franchise? Maybe take it in a different direction than AvP, even Prometheus?

We've never really seen a future civilization, a populated planet, battle a horde of xenomorphs. It could be too much like Starship Troopers, which isn't a bad film by any stretch, but it doesn't compare to the first two Alien movies.

If anything, at least we'd get some more offerings from Hot Toys.

Does it make any sense to "reboot" the Alien franchise?

If anything, at least we'd get some more offerings from Hot Toys.

You want to reboot a classic just to get more toys? Terrible idea. One of the reasons why Alien was so good was because we never really saw the alien until the very end. If you don't come up with a new creature design, all suspense is lost. The alternative is to come up with a new design which tops the first (not a hope in hell) The 1st Alien is the greatest movie creature ever (Predator 2nd).

As Robocop proved, a so-so remake is pointless and only makes you appreciate the originals more. While it has some good moments, i won't be buying any of the new figures.

You want to reboot a classic just to get more toys? Terrible idea. One of the reasons why Alien was so good was because we never really saw the alien until the very end. If you don't come up with a new creature design, all suspense is lost. The alternative is to come up with a new design which tops the first (not a hope in hell) The 1st Alien is the greatest movie creature ever (Predator 2nd).

As Robocop proved, a so-so remake is pointless and only makes you appreciate the originals more. While it has some good moments, i won't be buying any of the new figures.

Toys are not the main reason to reboot, they're only a nice side benefit. Exploring the themes that were part and parcel to the Alien franchise - that's why I'd like to see another movie made, more so than another Predator.

These movies are nothing without Ripley, so unless shes in it, i'm not interested. It's like Terminator without Arnie, no one cares.

These movies are nothing without Ripley, so unless shes in it, i'm not interested. It's like Terminator without Arnie, no one cares.

True but the sad fact is even with these principle actors it gets a bit derivative and crap after awhile. IMO Alien managed 3 good films with Sigourney (many would say just two), Terminator managed only 2 good films with Arnie (some would say just one).

Pretty much it's best to just let it die and be dead but Hollywood being Hollywood, that doesn't happen.

True but the sad fact is even with these principle actors it gets a bit derivative and crap after awhile. IMO Alien managed 3 good films with Sigourney (many would say just two), Terminator managed only 2 good films with Arnie (some would say just one).

Pretty much it's best to just let it die and be dead but Hollywood being Hollywood, that doesn't happen.

I agree Hollywood is out of ideas but I wouldn't want to see them remake aliens at all. For me what they would come up with would be similar to aliens resurrection or prometheus. The pinnacle of the aliens movie was the second movie. It just had everything in it tense horror, action and sci-fi all in one. Theres no need to remake any of the movies because the pinnacle of the franchise has already been met with aliens and alien.

Now, I am glad I missed out on the first HT release and can finally get a Ripley. I do hope they pop up Alien Warriors - maybe 2.0 versions with less faults with the bodies like the standing issues, rubber peels, joint looseness, etc.

I assume LS-Rip will have the harpoon. If or when the Alien 2.0 comes out it would just be an improvment on the face I believe.

Thinking out load again...two Alien heads, one closed mouth the other with the retractible inner jaw. But that's :cuckoo:

Not sure what else can be improved on the Alien fig. Better articulation I :dunno

But all this talk for a potential Alien 2.0 is now driving me :gah:

A Alien 2.0 could look more movie accurate, maybe bigger and without an overall rubber body.

The new Hot Toys figures have only rubber parts, for example the Dark Kingdom light armor Thor.

I assume LS-Rip will have the harpoon. If or when the Alien 2.0 comes out it would just be an improvment on the face I believe.

Thinking out load again...two Alien heads, one closed mouth the other with the retractible inner jaw. But that's :cuckoo:

Not sure what else can be improved on the Alien fig. Better articulation I :dunno

But all this talk for a potential Alien 2.0 is now driving me :gah:

It was actually a grappling hook and I DO think (because they have her likeness rights) they will do a LS Rip -- that Moebius suit and helmet design is a marvel of modern art and because it was a final battle scene it will give HT an opportunity to do an Alien 2.0.

Seems when HT does get likeness rights ( e.g. Weaver's) they roll them out in multiples ( Arnuld, Nicholson, etc.)

Well, only 2 Nicholson's, one headsculpt each. Could be more really. They haven't exactly milked that one yet.

I'm sure we'll eventually get a reboot of the Alien franchise.
It's inevitable given Hollywood's track record, and I guess it makes sense from their perspective. It is becoming increasingly difficult to come up with a decent movie within the established universe, especially after Ridley Scott's less than stellar Prometheus, so why not just reboot the entire thing?
I'm not saying it's a good idea, just saying it makes sense from their point of view.

How do you reboot Alien where it isn't ''just another monster'' movie

Back