1/6 1/6 Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien - Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien (Updated with new prototype HS)

They might kill you for having seen that sculpt but they won't kill it!

Rooted hair looks stupid with sculpted eyebrows and no eye lashes. It makes a head look like a high end or repainted Barbie. As companies continue to push the boundaries as to what can be achieved at 1/6th scale they need to keep a balance. Letting one aspect (real hair) shot ahead of others brings the whole thing down a notch. Aliens Ripley with real hair will look odd posed with the marines as they all have sculpted hair, even Vasquez. They could get creative and sculpt the hair in a way that looked natural without totally sacrificing pose ability.

Ha - Working Girl.. great flick - Ripley & Solo in the same movie! :yess:

..although she got the short end of the stick in that one. :(

Rooted hair looks stupid with sculpted eyebrows and no eye lashes. It makes a head look like a high end or repainted Barbie. As companies continue to push the boundaries as to what can be achieved at 1/6th scale they need to keep a balance. Letting one aspect (real hair) shot ahead of others brings the whole thing down a notch. Aliens Ripley with real hair will look odd posed with the marines as they all have sculpted hair, even Vasquez. They could get creative and sculpt the hair in a way that looked natural without totally sacrificing pose ability.
Well said. :duff

I actually like both headsculpts, would be cool if they included both.

Also the rooted hair is not my choice for hair on a 1/6 figure, but it won't stop me from getting this figure.

I don't understand this debate over rooted or sculpted hair personally. They give us real cloth clothing. They give us as realistic looking sculpts to make them appear "alive". Why in the hell would you not want "realistic" hair? Particularly on longer hair styles? I passed on the Thor figures because frankly I thought they looked stupid. Move his head and he has plastic tendrils of hair sticking out from where they should be resting. Idiotic looking. Someday, hopefully, someone will be able to do rooted hair even on shorter hair styles and make it look good. I hope they stick with the rooted hair on Ellen. I like it. We're adults playing with &$@?ing dolls for Christ's sake. Learn to deal.

I don't understand this debate over rooted or sculpted hair personally.. We're adults playing with &$@?ing dolls for Christ's sake. Learn to deal.

There's the root (ahahahaha) of the issue. IMO much of the fuss over rooted hair seems to boil down to people worrying that it makes their dolls, sorry collectible figures, look like dolls. :devil

That said, I still stand by my earlier point that I really don't get why - on expensive toys, which HT certainly are -it has to be rooted or sculpted. I don't see why rooted, more realistic looking hair couldn't be "sculpted"/fixed by the manufacturers, so it therefore consistently replicates official photos (where it always looks good) - but can have give, movement or lay realistically if needed. Best of both worlds, surely?

Definitely a vaaaast improvement.........However, there's something about it that kinda screams Adrienne Barbeau (sp?) the actress from Swamp Thing and Carnivale....I can't quite pinpoint it but it's something around the eyes.......the proximity of the eeyebrows to the inside corners of the eyes are definitely more Adrienne Barbeau.....

So THAT'S why I found the prototype so attractive..... mmmmm....I knew there was something going on with that first face....

What's this now? Am I in the minority for just putting my figures on an open shelf like some kind of animal?

You Do WHAT?

(serious question, how do you deal with dust? where I am I have to clean every freaking day, sometimes twice a day :gah: )

I don't understand this debate over rooted or sculpted hair personally. They give us real cloth clothing. They give us as realistic looking sculpts to make them appear "alive". Why in the hell would you not want "realistic" hair? Particularly on longer hair styles? I passed on the Thor figures because frankly I thought they looked stupid. Move his head and he has plastic tendrils of hair sticking out from where they should be resting. Idiotic looking. Someday, hopefully, someone will be able to do rooted hair even on shorter hair styles and make it look good. I hope they stick with the rooted hair on Ellen. I like it. We're adults playing with &$@?ing dolls for Christ's sake. Learn to deal.
:lol ehhh...

It's not just the 'doll' thing. I've personally expressed my reasons for not liking rooted hair on 1/6 figures many times on these boards, as some here will attest to. My concerns / dislikes lie with it not maintaining well over time & eventually deteriorating to some degree or another. Although some have reported certain figures they own that have it, have been fine over time.. it's not always the case from what I've seen. If this Ripley's hair can keep it's intended shape & hold up well enough over time - cool, I'll be happy.

Read around, there's more than one perspective in here as opposed to what you're implying with your lovely blanket reprimand. :lol

Agreed. It's just a stylistic choice, and there's nothing wrong with folks enjoying "real" doll hair. Hell, my daughter LOVES brushing and styling the hair of her Disney princesses, so I totally get and respect that. What I do take issue with is HT's double standard, though. No one has been able to explain it to me, or why collectors seem to hold the same opinions that Chan does that men can't have the "real" hair. If they're gonna go that route, fine. But why not give every figure that kind of hair? Tony Stark, Marty McFly, Joker, etc. I mean, if it makes it more "realistic," then why not? And in the process, we could have some uniformity in our displays. But no.

real hair can get really messy, real hair on male dolls makes them look feminine

if done well, rooted hair can have its momentum...

081753nos9bdsboyrf2boq.jpg

this is a custom by a fellow member. I find it impressive. And that with plenty of light. Put it in shades and it will be astonishing.

I am SO glad Ripley is having actual rooted hair. The styling possibilities are endless!
I plan to spend untold hours combing, curling, crimping, dying, highlighting, washing and drying...
This will be so much more fun than the Barbie Salon Style head I've been wasting my time with.
Ellen_Ripley.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_at_Easel.jpg

if done well, rooted hair can have its momentum...

View attachment 125501

this is a custom by a fellow member. I find it impressive. And that with plenty of light. Put it in shades and it will be astonishing.

I guess what makes it look weird is the plastic look of the hair, looks too fake or synthetic (I know the entire figure is technically plastic but still) kind of looks like a wig.

I guess toy makers have not yet reach that point where toy hair is realistic enough to look accurate

They might kill you for having seen that sculpt but they won't kill it!

Well, I'm smart enough not to have to settle for a subpar sculpt! And I'm smart enough to wait for some more pictures before we order this thing! Right? a-dev?

I guess what makes it look weird is the plastic look of the hair, looks too fake or synthetic (I know the entire figure is technically plastic but still) kind of looks like a wig.

I guess toy makers have not yet reach that point where toy hair is realistic enough to look accurate

That Luke looks like he's wearing a bad toupee. Comes down way too far over his brows.

is not only the position but the texture. The hair shines too much, it is too neat and straight. it doesn't have any weight.

Like I said it is like Doll makers have not found a way to make realistic good looking hair yet. Specially short hair. it doesn't have to shine so much and it needs to have some volume to it

Has anyone done a custom thor with rooted hair?

Back