1/6 Hot Toys Disney Maleficent - Angelina Jolie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because she is one of the coolest Disney characters ever made and really the only interesting thing about Sleeping Beauty.

I'd like to hear more of your opinion on that. No sarcasm.

The character does not warrant a movie imo.

I'd like to hear more of your opinion on that. No sarcasm.

The character does not warrant a movie imo.

Well, here is my question to you. Does Sleeping Beauty warrant a live action movie?

If no, well then it's a non-starter and that's fine.

If yes, I would argue that this is essentially just a Sleeping Beauty movie, however they decided it will do better to tell the story from Maleficent's PoV. She is very popular and the movie having a darker tone will help it hit the early 20s to mid 30s demographic, as opposed to a fantasy story about how lovely Sleeping Beauty is which narrows it down to primarily teenage girls.

Is the character all that complex? No. But you can always explore more, and when you have the "ppl think she is cool" thing going for it, you are already a little ahead of the game.

I think she is great bc of her design, her powers and that fact that she turns into a dang dragon. Lots of nerds like myself are basically IN as soon as a dragon is on the table. Sleeping Beauty was always one of the darker Disney films, and Maleficent one of the scariest and most evil of the Disney villains. Being the driving force behind Sleeping Beauty, it makes sense to go this direction with a live action adaptation.

I like what they insinuate in the trailer too, that there is something... Almost childish about Maleficent, and a little scared herself. Scared to reveal herself. Showing her jealousy in a new way will hopefully be refreshing. Instead of a character like the Queen in snow White, who is just vain and loud and masks her insecurities with more vulgar displays, I love that Maleficent seems more shy and in that way, also more dangerous, insipid and unpredictable and not wholly transparent.

I dunno, I'm insanely excited for this movie. It also helps that my fiancé went as Maleficent for Halloween the last two years and I found it highly enticing :)

Last edited:
I like what they insinuate in the trailer too, that there is something... Almost childish about Maleficent, and a little scared herself. Scared to reveal herself. Showing her jealousy in a new way will hopefully be refreshing. Instead of a character like the Queen in snow White, who is just vain and loud and masks her insecurities with more vulgar displays, I love that Maleficent seems more shy and in that way, also more dangerous, insipid and unpredictable and not wholly transparent.

Good point! :goodpost:

I'm a sucker for fairytales and their modern day updates (Snow White & The Huntsman, Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters) so I'll probably see this one in the theatre as well! :rock :rock

Well, here is my question to you. Does Sleeping Beauty warrant a live action movie?

If no, well then it's a non-starter and that's fine.

If yes, I would argue that this is essentially just a Sleeping Beauty movie, however they decided it will do better to tell the story from Maleficent's PoV. She is very popular and the movie having a darker tone will help it hit the early 20s to mid 30s demographic, as opposed to a fantasy story about how lovely Sleeping Beauty is which narrows it down to primarily teenage girls.

Is the character all that complex? No. But you can always explore more, and when you have the "ppl think she is cool" thing going for it, you are already a little ahead of the game.

I think she is great bc of her design, her powers and that fact that she turns into a dang dragon. Lots of nerds like myself are basically IN as soon as a dragon is on the table. Sleeping Beauty was always one of the darker Disney films, and Maleficent one of the scariest and most evil of the Disney villains. Being the driving force behind Sleeping Beauty, it makes sense to go this direction with a live action adaptation.

I dunno, I'm insanely excited for this movie. It also helps that my fiancé went as Maleficent for Halloween the last two years and I found it highly enticing :)

I guess I'll have to watch Sleeping Beauty, as I don't think I've ever actually seen the whole thing. I think my first exposure to Maleficent was in Kingdom Hearts.

I didn't know there was a trailer out, I'll have to watch it. I don't really like Angelina Jolie though, so I might not like this movie even if it is warranted.

New teaser from HT:

902983_10151826310812344_732857504_o.jpg

Hmm I can't place whatever is teased under the 1. But I'm super psyched for the Maleficent figure! Can't wait to see more.

Hmm I can't place whatever is teased under the 1. But I'm super psyched for the Maleficent figure! Can't wait to see more.

People are speculating it's Star Lord's mask from Guardian's of the Galaxy. While the eyes seem to look like that, the rest of the mask/face doesn't so I'm not sure...

I'm looking forward to seeing the Maleficent figure though! Could be a great one! :rock

I'm very excited to the Maleficent. I'm sure it is going to look fantastic.

I'm hoping the head sculpt can be modded for other characters. I've long wanted a Jolie Tomb Raider but none of the releases have gotten her quite right.

I really don't care about the movie, it doesn't look good in any way.

BUT Angelina as Maleficent is a dream come true so if the figure looks great I'll buy.

After seeing the "Dream" trailer, I really hope the movie is great! If it is half as good as that trailer this will be an instant PO.

The movie looks promising, but I'm wondering if the figure will be a Toy Fair Exclusive. As popular as Disney collectibles are or can be, this looks like a one shot (no other characters seem worth making) and the movie's success is still an uncertainty.

Making only Maleficent is a given. And No this will not be an exclusive... it's disney. They'll want all the orders they can get!

This is a interesting pick from Hot Toys. I actually may buy this one. Movie does look pretty cool. If Hot Toys does her right than it definitely will be an instant order.

Back