1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to all these releases, even Prowse, but mostly looking forward to the ANH and ESB Vader offerings. As well as whatever Trooper buckets get done.

Great! That's good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

The Vader parts are still coming soon - they have been sent to the printing company already and will be printed as soon as I've received a quote and things have been finalized. They will not be delayed by this. It's just that we are ready to gather interest for Prowse now, while we won't know pricing for the Vader parts until we get the parts to the mold maker. Trooper helmets and additional Vader stuff (potentially a RotJ verison) will be in the second print batch and will be sent off to the printing company within the coming months.

1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

I’m not terribly interested in the Prows head since he was never seen on screen showing his face.

Has anything changed regarding the Vader and Trooper helmets/parts, or is it just that we have more of a wait ahead of us now?

Thanks!

Never mind. I just saw that you already answered that question. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I wait on getting a quote from the printing company (has taken longer than usual, so I guess they are really busy right now), I thought I could show the Stormtrooper helmet scans as well, while I work on converting the ESB Vader parts into RotJ.

The ANH SFS 3D scan:
, on Flickr

The RotJ 3D scan:
, on Flickr

And I really thought I had showed this earlier, but this is how the 3D prints turned out.
, on Flickr

While I wait on getting a quote from the printing company (has taken longer than usual, so I guess they are really busy right now), I thought I could show the Stormtrooper helmet scans as well, while I work on converting the ESB Vader parts into RotJ.

The ANH SFS 3D scan:
, on Flickr

The RotJ 3D scan:
, on Flickr

And I really thought I had showed this earlier, but this is how the 3D prints turned out.
, on Flickr

Are you thinking of creating an interest / pre order list for these? If so can you please put me on it.

Yeah, the amount of drool in this thread makes it hard to read the text.:lol

I can actually honestly say I feel the same way. This has been my dream for such a long time and now is finally come to a point where I'm so close to fulfilling it. And if I can share that joy, then all the better. :)

Worked on the RotJ chest box in earnest today. Was under the impression it was very similar to the ESB with just a few greeblies removed, but it really isn't and there are a few different versions - I just picked the one I liked. Though the real box isn't as straight as my old box, I still decided to use it as it looks closer than the wonky ANH/ESB box model a friend made for me. I may still do some tweaks, but I'm pretty happy with the look and placement.

, on Flickr

Also, another friend is checking into the belt buckle measurements for me and I'll post them here along with pictures of the various versions as soon as I get them.

Last edited:
ROTJ box looks good but it should be a tad smaller than ESB and the slope from the sides is more pronounced on the "hero" box used on screen the most. Now if the differences would show up much in 1:6 scale I don't know.

Cool. I tried tapering the model so it is smaller in the front, while keeping the rear dimensions as they were.

I actually noticed that the stickers with the text were different from ESB. Basically the top one was the same, just turned upside down, while the bottom one was the ESB middle one moved down and again turned upside down. The middle one is all new and I need to find good reference of it so I can get it replicated on the model. Currently it just has the bottom ESB one moved up and made smaller.

The top greeblie that sits between the two lights may in fact be the middle one down at the rocker switches on the ESB box instead of the top one above the lights just moved down and turned around 180 degrees. Still uncertain about that, so if anyone knows, I'd love to hear it.

Here's a shot of the non-tapered and tapered RotJ box.

, on Flickr

Last edited:
Tapered looks better. The ANH had a taper too.
Here's a casting from the original ANH chestbox (note that the top of the box on the front view is missing from the photo, that's why it appears so perfectly straight - it was just cropped too much in the photo unfortunately. You can see the bottom clearly though and the side profile shows the thickness of the box and the taper.

ANH-Chestbox-casting.jpg

Here's some more casting photos. Note that there was some shrinkage as you can see when the actual found part red button is placed onto the chestbox casting. You can see that the cast is the correct shape, but smaller due to shrinkage.

ANH-Chestbox-Casting2.JPG
ANH-Chestbox-Casting3.JPG
ANH-Chestbox-Casting4.JPG

Can't wait for these!

Last edited:
Yeah, the 3D program has a kind of fish eye effect when viewing models. It always gives the similar effect of taking pictures too close to the object. I matched the ANH box taper to side views of a casting, like you showed, and they were pretty close. I just don't have a side view of a RotJ box, so the taper I added may be too much or just right. Hoping for the latter. :)

Thanks for the pictures.

This thread is all kinds of goodness. It's like SW school (a school that both HT and Sideshow often flunk out of.):lol

These were the measurements I was given for the belt buckle. I assume they were sized the same for all three movies with variations on how the raised metal bit was positioned and how many bars and whether they were straight or rounded at the corners.

The buckle is 2”
By 3 1/4”
By 4 1/4”

I guess the 2" is the width of the raised metal bit, as the other measurements are the black base piece. Didn't get a length measurement for the metal bit, but that's easy to ascertain when taking a picture and scaling it to these measurements. Hope this helps. I'll try and find good reference for the various movie versions and post them here.

Heard back from the printing company with a quote, Waiting for individual quotes for each part and getting some models back for review after they've been prepared for printing, and then everything is a go. So things are moving forward again with the first print batch. Made some size revisions to the ESB and RotJ chest and belt boxes, per the comments above and looking through reference. Thanks. :)

Well I guess I can go ahead and order a HT esb vader to replace parts. Will these peices be painted or will we have to do that? It's fine either way and I am so excited for this!

Here's the drawing that I did for my full size belt buckle back in the day when I was putting a full size Vader together.
This was scaled from photos mainly so if you've got some more definitive measurements from a prop source, go with those.

Belt-Comparison.jpg

Vader-Buckles.jpg

New-BeltBoxes.JPG

These were the measurements I was given for the belt buckle. I assume they were sized the same for all three movies with variations on how the raised metal bit was positioned and how many bars and whether they were straight or rounded at the corners.

The buckle is 2”
By 3 1/4”
By 4 1/4”

I guess the 2" is the width of the raised metal bit, as the other measurements are the black base piece. Didn't get a length measurement for the metal bit, but that's easy to ascertain when taking a picture and scaling it to these measurements. Hope this helps. I'll try and find good reference for the various movie versions and post them here.

Heard back from the printing company with a quote, Waiting for individual quotes for each part and getting some models back for review after they've been prepared for printing, and then everything is a go. So things are moving forward again with the first print batch. Made some size revisions to the ESB and RotJ chest and belt boxes, per the comments above and looking through reference. Thanks. :)

Thanks. OCD can be a blessing, but mostly a curse when it comes to never being satisfied with anything that isn't excrutiatingly accurate. LOL

Love the commitment to accuracy down to the slight wonkiness of the buckle.

Cool drawings. These are for the ANH right? The buckle may have been re-used for ESB, but there may be other variants, but the RotJ seems to be placed more straight, from what I can tell.

Back