1/6 CGL Toys - Magneto and Professor X Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am unsure how you can judge either head based on those photos. I will wait to see more angles before I say they are not good. No one looks the same way at every angle.

Edit-didn't notice these are unlicensed. Not a fan of companies that sell that way. If it's a custom or individual that's one thing. But a company. That's something else. And for these it's not just marvel but fox they have to worry about. And each actor since they have not signed likeness agreements with either studio for the films.

I may get Xavier since Stewart was the definitive version of the character to me. Magneto may depend on the final sculpt and outfit.

I'm curious, in my ignorance, in the eyes of the law is there any difference between an individual making and selling an unlicensed figure and a company making and selling an unlicensed figure?

I'm curious, in my ignorance, in the eyes of the law is there any difference between an individual making and selling an unlicensed figure and a company making and selling an unlicensed figure?

Yes. Both are illegal. But there is a difference. And it depends on the total amount of money (there are degrees to anything legal. Like if you steal a 50 cent candy bar versus a 10million dollar painting. The difference in this case isn't that large but just used it to make a point)

And Disney/marvel have never filed suit or a cease and desist against an individual selling a custom figure. There's an industry standard or understanding. A single custom does not compete with or a threat to licensed products, generally, so most companies look at it as free advertising. But when a company starts producing items it not only creates competion for their other goods it devalues they license agreement or undercuts it, that they have with other companies. A company that bids and gets a license agreement has a lot of extra costs and overhead and that influences prices. So if a company then comes along making the same product but doesn't have to pay those fees or follow those guidelines it's an unfair advantage. It's often, despite the snarky comments we see about the evil empire and how they control things, not the license holder that has a problem. It's often other companies that do follow the rules and law and complain to Disney/WB/DC/marvel/Sony/fox or whomever.

So yes, there is a difference both in the law and its application.

Do they have a website or something? I tried googling but came up with nothing. I am interested in Prof. X

If it's just Stewart in a wheelchair and McKellen in a suit, then I don't know that there would be much grounds for a lawsuit by Marvel anyway. Maybe by the actors if they wanted to sue for unapproved use of their likenesses, but. . .

If they're based on the senate scene in X1, it's a purchase. Once you've seen First Class and DOFP, that scene has so much more weight behind it.

I think they both look pretty good. Maybe they gave Stewart more of an Xavier look than he actually has.

I'm interested depending on what type of suits they'll be wearing and the prices. I don't see Hot Toys doing official versions if they didn't with Days of Future Past and would like these characters to go along with Wolverine.

You simply cant sue someone in China :lol

That's not entirly true. Large companies often have government pull/support and China has been getting tighter on IP laws. But they don't have to sue them. If they are IP vios there's a newish international co that can shut down any website that sells their goods. Close Facebook pages. And more. They do it with fake nike shoe sites dozens of times a day.

Hot toys also has some pull in China. They got the government to put pressure on a company that was going to make new iron man cod pieces. So if they want to push the issue they can.

That's not entirly true. Large companies often have government pull/support and China has been getting tighter on IP laws. But they don't have to sue them. If they are IP vios there's a newish international co that can shut down any website that sells their goods. Close Facebook pages. And more. They do it with fake nike shoe sites dozens of times a day.

Hot toys also has some pull in China. They got the government to put pressure on a company that was going to make new iron man cod pieces. So if they want to push the issue they can.

These aren't Hot Toys knock-offs so they can't do ****.

Back