1/4 Hot Toys - QS005 - Avengers: AoU - Iron Man Mark 43 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But wires running through joints with a wide range of articulation (such as the shoulders) would be susceptible to damage, no?

Yeah. I thought that was obvious.

They could be damaged, sure. But lots of figures have it. It's not that unusual. It wouldn't limit the articulation and the chance of failure isn't very high, from wear on the wire anyway.

The best option for hot toys is the one they use now. Then next would be internal wire to a single switch, which would require a significant change to the standard iron man design Becuase those little cell batteries wouldn't work so they would need bigger ones and that means larger removable torso pieces to place them ect. Or switch to an outlet...but half the customer base uses one type of power and the other half uses another (Europe and America operate on different type of power) so that had to be considered. Next would be some type of remote unit in each limb and head and torso. Which would require a lot more engineering of each area, lots more time in assembly, lots more money in parts (go from no ir or Bluetooth or whatever type of receiver to 4-6 of them).

There's really not much reason for them to change the way it is now.

And going to a remote is even less likely.

If HT used metal/even magnetic ball joints that connected to metal sockets, I would think that it would be possible to have detachable limbs AND all be connected to one power source.
Not saying this is what HT should do... But that's it's possible. Some of you guys will know, better than I, if that's feasible.
I'm sure having metal ball joints would have to produce a new connection method to hold poses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one button for all lights would be a headache. Wires would have to go through jointed areas which I would cause issues with having a removable head and wires breaking over time.

Fiber optic strands using the ARC as a central light source?

If HT used metal/even magnetic ball joints that connected to metal sockets, I would think that it would be possible to have detachable limbs AND all be connected to one power source.
Not saying this is what HT should do... But that's it's possible. Some of you guys will know, better than I, if that's feasible.
I'm sure having metal ball joints would have to produce a new connection method to hold poses.

It's not about the ball socket itself. If you remove the limb it would require the wires to be disconnected. Which means the consumer is then required to touch the electrical. If you pull the arm out to hard it could damage or destroy the electronics. And there's the matter of liability and government regulations. And there are regulations about electrical and toys. Lots of them it turns out

Yes it can be done. Lots of ways to do it. But it would require a fundamental shift in how the company both engineers and produces figures with electronics. And what the can offer.

It's not a matter of "if" they could do it, from a manufacturing or possibility stand point. Because they could. The issues are about how much that costs, how the governments regulate toys with electronics, how hot toys manages its QC and replacements and things like that. It would be the end of replacement limbs or head on any figure with electronics in those areas. And that's just the first and smallest change.

There's just no good reason to do it. From hot toys side. And from the consumer side, it doesn't make much sense either. Does it sometimes suck dealing with a dozen battery's and multiple switches? Sure. Is it worth losing the replacement option, the potential for swappable heads, and arms and legs..and a huge price increase plus any other potential issues that could cause import bans and things like that? I don't think so.

It's just not so simple as "can they" do it. There's a bunch of other factors.

Last edited:
Fiber optic strands using the ARC as a central light source?

That would be the same issue. And probably worse. Fiber optic is much more fragile and handles bending worse. It also means it's all on, or all off.

The logistics of doing it as a wired figure is not that hard. It's all the other things that create the issues. (It adds time, it means you can't have swap out arms or legs or head. It adds engineering costs. There are import/export issues. There are regulations about wires and electronics on toys that mean they could no longer offer replacement parts like they do now for any part that housed electronics/wires like the leg or arm. Because the would require the consumer to interact with those electronics to remove and replace the part. That is illegal or restricted in many areas and it opens the company up to all kinds of liability)

I meant that the metal joints would serve as conductors (no wires). So swappable and replacement parts could still apply.
But I totally understand that the new cost/development/etc. isn't worth it at this point. Maybe in the future when the re-do iron figs all over again ;)

No the wouldn't work. They would have to be a shielded joint which wouldn't work. There's other issues as well.

I'd like to see 1/4 scale IM power pose figures, that way HT could incorporate the best of both worlds...limited articulation in a internally wired, one button solution for lights. Basically HT version of PFF's.

They could be damaged, sure. But lots of figures have it. It's not that unusual. It wouldn't limit the articulation and the chance of failure isn't very high, from wear on the wire anyway.

The best option for hot toys is the one they use now. Then next would be internal wire to a single switch, which would require a significant change to the standard iron man design Becuase those little cell batteries wouldn't work so they would need bigger ones and that means larger removable torso pieces to place them ect. Or switch to an outlet...but half the customer base uses one type of power and the other half uses another (Europe and America operate on different type of power) so that had to be considered. Next would be some type of remote unit in each limb and head and torso. Which would require a lot more engineering of each area, lots more time in assembly, lots more money in parts (go from no ir or Bluetooth or whatever type of receiver to 4-6 of them).

There's really not much reason for them to change the way it is now.

And going to a remote is even less likely.

Oh, I never doubted that the current solution was best. I was just surprised to learn that a remote switch for all lights without having them all connected wasn't possible... Until you then carried on to say it was.

Been taking more shots, I'm addicted! He photographs so beautifully :love:inlove:blissy
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Finally got the time to get him secured to the new base for final display. Fits right in. I was so impressed with the quality I ordered the Hulkbuster. Great job by Hot Toys. I wish they would leverage the 1/4 scale size in the Power Pose series....less articulation, easier light up features.

im 1.jpg
im 3.jpg

Credit to hawker for the pose idea and a big thanks to optibotimus for his youtube review.
Just a quick cell phone pic, lovely figure, highly recommended, the headsculpt is something special.
Really hoping HT do more 1/4 figures.

DSC_0012.jpg

Do you guys like the figure better with the helmet or the Stark head? I keep going back and forth.

Do you guys like the figure better with the helmet or the Stark head? I keep going back and forth.

Ha it's tough ... I've had him w the Stark head on but decided suddenly to put the helmet on because it looks so bad ass. Depends on the day.

^^ that's exactly why I got the SSC MK2 to go with the HT 1/4 43 they look marvelous!!!

Thanks 007!

Yeah i had the idea for this combo, since they announced the 1/4 MK43 last year. Pretty sweet to finally have them both on display. Would love to see your setup as well.

Back