Brown shipping boxes...part of the collectible?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkmatters

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Recently I bought the HotToys 66 Batman figures. They arrived without brown shipping boxes. It did not worry me at first but then I started to feel the figures were somehow incomplete. I am trying to obtain these boxes but I have been wondering how these boxes are viewed. Is a figure complete without a shipping box? If you buy from a store there would not be one, right? Opinions please.

It can be a matter of personal opinion. I prefer them as they can help protect the art boxes when in storage, and depending on how you store them, easier to quickly identify should you need to pull a box.
Some companies ship without the brown shipper to save in cost due to added shipping weight. They don't weigh much, but that's been an excuse in the past. I've also found that when reselling a figure, I'm asked if it will include the factory brown shipper. I've lost sales as a result of not having it, whereas others don't care. So as I said, I think it just comes down to personal preference. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

No. They are just a box the item is shipped in.

Agreed. They're not art boxes, they're just shipping boxes and as such will get damaged and have shipping tape all over them. It would do a person no good to start caring about those.

It can be a matter of personal opinion. I prefer them as they can help protect the art boxes when in storage, and depending on how you store them, easier to quickly identify should you need to pull a box.

Yeah but then any random cardboard box with the name of the figure scrawled in permanent black marker will do the same job.

Losing sales because you don't have the brown shipper - ridiculous. (on the prospective buyer's part, not yours)

As the figure or statue comes in that box and the box has some details. I can see why people would pay a bit more for the complete item including that box. It's silly but I assume most think the figure or statue will be safer inside the box that was made for it too.

Some (or all?) of those brown shippers have staples holding them together and they actually cause indentations in the art box so no, I wouldn't even consider them the best protection.

Personally, they are meaningless to me; just something to ship the item in. Also, because the shipper box conforms exactly to size of the item, I have seen where it scuffs the actual product box.

That said, when selling I have also been asked if I had the shipper box. Haven't lost a sale over it though. To each his own.

I keep my shippers for storing purposes. But I don't care if I want something and it doesn't come with one. I'm never gonna display the shipper boxes anyway.

You guys all raise valid points. I think I need to lose the brown shipping box anxiety. :

Do not care about the shipping box, nice to have but an amazon box and packing peanuts does the same job. The art box is a different story though, that is part of the collectible. In short when I am buying a statue if you have the art box I am good. Just pack it well and I am happy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you item isn't being shipped, you might not get a shipper box at all, so no, they're not part of the product whatsoever.

I find it funny when people care is the shipping box in good shape? Who cares as long as the art box and statue are safe. Its a shipping box it was designed to take the pounding so the stuff inside it is safe.

Heck I dont even need a perfect art box crushed corners really dont concern me as long as the Styrofoam is good and my statue is fine.

Clearly we now need external shipping boxes for the shippers.

:yess:But then we have a new problem the extra shipping box becomes an item we have to keep. People will complain if the art box, the shipper and the shipper protection box are not pristine.

Good foresight. Then the only solution is Star Trek-style transporter technology to beam the figures directly from stores into our homes.

Back