Whe will the next generation of Consoles launch?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingBull

Super Freak
Reaction score
When do you think the next gen of Xbox & Playstations will launch. I really thought we would of heard something solid by now with all the 2012/13 launch rumours but I'm starting to think 2016 or may be 2015 the earliest now. Do you think it's time Microsoft & Sony launched there new consoles, or do you think they can push the 360 & PS3 further?

I'm thinking Xmas next year. Nintendo has their new machine out so Microsoft and Sony might want to start pushing to get theirs out too before Nintendo gets too much of a lead.

I don't see them coming out in 2013. Way to many games being announced for 2013. I'd say 2014. Plus Nintendo and the other two have two different audiences. I personally hope it isn't next year.

Well if you consider the Wii U as Next gen, then its already begun.

I see Microsoft pushing out a new system holiday 2013. Or 2014.

Sony has gone on record saying they are pushing the PS3 lifespan until at least 2015. So that will be awhile yet before we see a Next Gen Playstation.

Well if you consider the Wii U as Next gen, then its already begun.

I see Microsoft pushing out a new system holiday 2013. Or 2014.

Sony has gone on record saying they are pushing the PS3 lifespan until at least 2015. So that will be awhile yet before we see a Next Gen Playstation.

Both Sony and Microsoft need to get their new consoles out as soon as possible, earliest 2013, latest 2014. While they do want the PS3 to last, they don't have to stop selling it if they start selling a PS4, just like they did for the PS2 which had been sold for a few years while the PS3 was out.

Waiting for 2014 won't be very good but waiting any longer than that would be devastating to them.

I'd hoped '13 was going to be the year, but that's not going to happen. Sony and MS have done everything in their power to avoid that topic and with only a year from the fall '13 season and not so much as an announcement, there's no way. I guess they're finally making money on they hardware and don't feel the need to move on yet. Unless they pull the fastest announcement to launch timeframe in ages. Not likely. As a gamer, I'm ready for the new systems. It's time IMO, but I'm thinking fall '14 too. 2 years is an eternity in the world of technology and I think these already old systems will look like dinosaurs by the time we start seeing the new hardware.

The WiiU is a baby step. Nintendo barely tried IMO. They don't want to compete with Sony and MS on a hardware statistical level, so they're committed to going the gimmick route now. WiiU will look the same or slightly better than the current systems and that's about it, so I dont count it as a "next gen" console even though it is technically Nintendo's next generation console heh.

Wii U will have a huge head start on the other two and will probably end up with more sales.

I've never really thought of Nintendo as a competitor to Playstation & Xbox. Nintendo's more for kids IMO
I'd avoid sweeping statements like that - it's not entirely accurate (though is along the right lines). There's more to it than that. Nintendo has certainly targeted the Wii to the casual family audience, but they've proven themselves worthy competitors during the N64 and Gamecube generations. Despite the name, the Wii U looks to be a return to those more traditional days, and Nintendo have refocussed to appeal to the hardcore audience more. There's still an aim to casual families, but whilst taking more notice of hardcore needs, with improved online capabilities, accomodating 3rd party games - basically catching up with the standards we expect from systems now, and the things that make the 360/PS3 'hardcore' consoles. We'll see how the Wii U goes, but it looks promising.

Also, the Wii did have Mario Galaxy, possibly the best game of this generation. Top five at least - and this is from a guy who is usually critical of most of Nintendo's recent offerings.

I'd say a late 2013/early 2014 launch for consoles is realistic. They really won't want Nintendo to have too much of a head start.

I'd avoid sweeping statements like that - it's not entirely accurate (though is along the right lines). There's more to it than that. Nintendo has certainly targeted the Wii to the casual family audience, but they've proven themselves worthy competitors during the N64 and Gamecube generations. Despite the name, the Wii U looks to be a return to those more traditional days, and Nintendo have refocussed to appeal to the hardcore audience more. There's still an aim to casual families, but whilst taking more notice of hardcore needs, with improved online capabilities, accomodating 3rd party games - basically catching up with the standards we expect from systems now, and the things that make the 360/PS3 'hardcore' consoles. We'll see how the Wii U goes, but it looks promising.

Also, the Wii did have Mario Galaxy, possibly the best game of this generation. Top five at least - and this is from a guy who is usually critical of most of Nintendo's recent offerings.

I'd say a late 2013/early 2014 launch for consoles is realistic. They really won't want Nintendo to have too much of a head start.

Not to mention, Look at ZombiU. That certainly is not aimed for the kiddos. I have a feeling Big N is changing their strategy this go around.

Even the wii wasnt strictly aimed at kids. I can think of some incredible games that came from that system. Zelda for one and like someone mentioned before Mario galaxy was incredible and was definitely not just for kids.

tumblr_m9tvwpM4dm1rd1j5no11_400.gif

Hopefully soon so us PC players won't continue to be held back graphically because developers don't want to make a game that they can't sell on Xbox and PS3 as well.

when sony projected ps3 to last until 2015 that was because they designed it as a 10 year system. playstation always does the overlap of 2-3 years with the next gen system just like another commented. so, ps4 will most likely be sold around the 2013/14 line. thats what ive been hearing anyhow. seems about right to me.

I bet the rumors are true and next Xbox dev kits are already with developers.
Xbox November 2013 and PS4 in 2014.

Nintendo is definitely stepping it up this gen, they already won over the casual gamers with the Wii, so they're obviously going after the hardcore gamers with the Wii U(COD and Assassin's Creed 3 aren't kiddie games)

I bet the rumors are true and next Xbox dev kits are already with developers.
Xbox November 2013 and PS4 in 2014.

Yeah.
I can't speak for PS as I don't pay attention to that but its pretty much an open secret at this point that Christmas 2013 is the launch of the Xbox720.

Even if the new xbox comes out next year I know I will probably wait on buying it. Don't want to go through the bull**** like I did when I got my 360. Went through 3 of them in a week.

I wish the Wii U could compete with the next PS and Xbox graphically, but I'm glad we're getting Mario, Zelda, Metroid and SSB in HD. What I really want though is good online play. I was so dissapointed when I jumped on to play Smash Bros Brawl online and it was completely unplayable. :monkey2

The only reason I buy Nintendo systems is for Nintendo games anymore. They need to get with the times and make online a priority this time.

Nintendo can have all the head start it wants, but the PS4 & the 720 will eat their lunch

Back