Dinosauria: Upcoming maquettes (Mosasaur, new T-Rex & Ceratops concept)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Mosasaur supposed to look that cute? I'm know next to nothing about dinosaurs but when I look up Mosasaur on the web the fossils and other rendering show very long snout. The SS sculpt makes it look like a cute dolphin...too bad because the rest of the piece is really cool.

Is the Mosasaur supposed to look that cute? I'm know next to nothing about dinosaurs but when I look up Mosasaur on the web the fossils and other rendering show very long snout. The SS sculpt makes it look like a cute dolphin...too bad because the rest of the piece is really cool.

Think of it this way.. " it looks cute " is the last thing you think before it eats you. ;) Look up images of varanids, monitor lizards and you'll get why it was done this way.

hmm, noone cares about the upcoming dino pair?

I hope it's not true but they both looks like just re-issues with slightly different paint app.

That's exactly what they are. Re-paints. Both were shown at a con last month. Just a more complex paint scheme on both done by Steve Rijoas who paints just about every prototype, of course I'm curious if the Chinese factories can replicate it.

These repaints make me happy, actually. If it turns out close to as good as the pics from the convention, I'll like the new Spinosaurus better than the original.

i wish it's new sculpt, that's a bit lame to reissue after edition sells out.

Original styracosaurus was $200 and spinosaurus $300. can't wait to see what the new and "improved" prices will be....

i wish it's new sculpt, that's a bit lame to reissue after edition sells out.

Original styracosaurus was $200 and spinosaurus $300. can't wait to see what the new and "improved" prices will be....

Agreed. From a collector's stand point it's annoying. Paint variants de-value original pieces ad if your a completest causes you to spend more. What's the point of an edition number if you can just make more ?

If they are anything like the recent releases in regard to price, then probably 300-350.00 each .

Agreed. From a collector's stand point it's annoying. Paint variants de-value original pieces ad if your a completest causes you to spend more. What's the point of an edition number if you can just make more ?

If they are anything like the recent releases in regard to price, then probably 300-350.00 each .

I can understand them rereleasing them if they were an open ES, but same sculpt of a previous piece is a worrying trend. All about the money grab I guess, TBD on their ES preorders now this kind of BS. Hope they don't kill their own Golden Goose.

I can understand them rereleasing them if they were an open ES, but same sculpt of a previous piece is a worrying trend. All about the money grab I guess, TBD on their ES preorders now this kind of BS. Hope they don't kill their own Golden Goose.

Exactly. If they are going to make them mass-produced pieces then we need to see a serious price drop. I mean they already did something similar with the faux bronze pieces. Why not just alter the pose a bit so it's at least sort of a different piece. Then we could display them together as male/female even. Re-paints are just a grab for cash as far as I'm concerned. I never bought any figures before that were paint variants those cost 15-20.00 , why would someone do it for a 300-350.00 statue ? I mean why even make it available based on that ?

I bet anything they don't look near as good as these prototypes though...Sideshow doesn't really seem to do well on the complicated patterns and hues with the dinos.

I passed up on the Spinosaurus originally so for me this is very advantageous but I can definitely appreciate the frustration with them not being new pieces. Is it a bit of a money grab? Sure, but if it keeps the line going for the next piece then I really can't complain.

What about those who have completed the entire collection? What should we do? To buy the same pieces, just in other colors? Hmmm, I do not know, maybe I'll buy Styracosaurus, because I love what David sculpts. I would like to see minumum two statues, of this line, per year. This year it seems that only one statue will be in stock. Waiting several species of dinosaurs!

Sideshow are opportunist just like any business, they look at ebay and the after markets, those 2 dino are going for 2-3x the original price, so it's an easy cash grab for them to re-issue it at the current price level with very little dev cost. T-rex is coming for sure as well.

That itself isn't a big deal as any business will try to make money, but the original releases were all with defined edition size and sold out, for them to do this is just a betrayal of the customers trust, they can repaint the color as much as they want, it's still the same dino statue. If they want to do this, then don't put a edition size on it.

Imagine if any other collectible company did that, like swarovski or lladro etc..by reissuing a sold-out figure and just changing the color slightly. They would get destroyed, but noone cares in the statue world because it's mostly pop culture fans buying for fun and it's the only game in town. So they can do whatever they want.

What about those who have completed the entire collection? What should we do? To buy the same pieces, just in other colors? Hmmm, I do not know, maybe I'll buy Styracosaurus, because I love what David sculpts. I would like to see minumum two statues, of this line, per year. This year it seems that only one statue will be in stock. Waiting several species of dinosaurs!

I have a gut feeling that this line will be timed to explode with new releases when Jurassic World is released next year. In the meantime SS is keeping line afloat, & profitable, with the rehash of older pieces. Truly a shame they would re-release sold out product, as they have truly sold-out integrity wise.

If Jurassic world does not raise the interest of the Dinosauria line considerably for SS(?), I fear we can kiss this line good-bye.

Sideshow updated with a blog post on the two re-issues. Looking at the Styracosaurus I may now also pick it up even though I hadn't planned to in the past.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/sideshows-dinosauria-lives-on

"Inspired by this undying curiosity, the Sideshow team is excited to revisit specimens of the Dinosauria collection with the same spirit of artistic exploration. Starting with Styracosaurus and Spinosaurus, look forward to seeing variations of familiar favorites in a new light, featuring reimagined colorations and alternative base designs."​

• Styracosaurus
    • price $279.99
    • features vibrant crest coloration and variegated patterns
    • looks like the base is changed/different
  • Spinosaurus
    • price $329.99
    • features russet camouflage colors and a mottled patterning

Based on this quote...

"Starting with Styracosaurus and Spinosaurus, look forward to seeing variations of familiar favorites in a new light, featuring reimagined colorations and alternative base designs."

It sounds like we should expect more re-issues in the future.

Sideshow updated with a blog post on the two re-issues. Looking at the Styracosaurus I may now also pick it up even though I hadn't planned to in the past.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/sideshows-dinosauria-lives-on

"Inspired by this undying curiosity, the Sideshow team is excited to revisit specimens of the Dinosauria collection with the same spirit of artistic exploration. Starting with Styracosaurus and Spinosaurus, look forward to seeing variations of familiar favorites in a new light, featuring reimagined colorations and alternative base designs."​

• Styracosaurus
    • price $279.99
    • features vibrant crest coloration and variegated patterns
  • Spinosaurus
    • price $329.99
    • features russet camouflage colors and a mottled patterning

Based on this quote...

"Starting with Styracosaurus and Spinosaurus, look forward to seeing variations of familiar favorites in a new light, featuring reimagined colorations and alternative base designs."

It sounds like we should expect more re-issues in the future.

With the new bases, i would say they have done a good deal more than just a generic repaint/reissue. I dont think anyone expected that.

Back