Dinosauria: Upcoming maquettes (Mosasaur, new T-Rex & Ceratops concept)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not big on feathers on anything that has not been found with feathers. Totally get them on the small therapods, but until proven otherwise, that's it for me.

I am all about bigger, but where can I get a display case for all these?? :panic:

Definitely not an easy find. I have see some people use long china cabinets found at regular furniture stores simply due to the length of some of the pieces.

Check out this post in the Apatosaurus thread.

Excuse me, but that is my cabinet:cuckoo:, and No way is a china cabinet:(. That cabinet is made and designed entirely by me with exact dimensions for each statue in the collection in part. Please do your research before to say something.:wink1:
PS: Glass and parts of the cabinet are cut well-defined size + light spots.

Maybe not the most beautiful cabinet, but I would like at least some of the fans of this line to have a cabinet like mine:)

Last edited:
I have to say, I really love these pieces.

The Mosasaur is, curiously, in EXACTLY the pose that I envisioned a Sideshow Mosasaur would be rendered. It's a pose that possesses a lot of grace, similar to David Krentz's Tylosaurus. Plus, the ammonite and shark are very welcome accents. This apex predator is well-deserving of the Sideshow Dinosauria treatment. It's been at the very top of my "Want" list.

As to the T.rex and Triceratops, I'm VERY surprised that we're going to see these. Very, very surprised. I like the dermal quills on the Triceratops, similar to the Shane Foulkes piece. I'm curious as to how closely the final piece will mirror this concept art... it's extremely reminiscent of the Stegosaur mother and child maquette. I hope not too much so for everyone's tastes. There's a big opportunity to make the crest on the adult ostentatious and focal. Really draw the eye in an imposing, striking way that could be both appealing for conspecific mates, and intimidating to conspecific threats or any potential predators. The paint application, if executed properly here, could be really stunning. The sculptural detail on the Stegosaurus maquette is breathtaking, so similar treatment herein would be most welcome... just a matter of outstanding paint.

The very valid critique has been raised that we've seen several iterations of T.rex from Sideshow now... but, I would add, none quite like this. I'll admit, as many of you know, to quite a degree of T.rex bias, but to have a healthy, bulky, adult T.rex in its prime would truly be outstanding. I love the grizzled veteran for which we have been given a maquette, as well as the brazen neophyte being skewered by the Triceratops in the Dinosauria flagship diorama (personally, my favorite statue). This could be equally magnificent as a radically different approach to the same animal. Surprising, given the extensive treatment already provided to T.rex, but I won't complain to expand my collection with another Tyrannosaur. Add to that that T.rex, given its (well-deserved ;) ) celebrity status, is a strong draw for a broad swath of collectors apart from just paleo-freaks like us, and you have a sure win on your hands. Popularity and name recognition will bring the collectors flocking to another T.rex... and I intend to be first in line. :yess:

A few more thoughts: I'm not sure how likely it is that this T.rex will be a feathered specimen. It would be very interesting to have a fine down coating, as well as some thicker areas for ornamentation... again, lots of potential for vibrant paint application... but not an overall substantial layering. Dispersal of metabolic heat that would have been generated by an animal the size of T.rex would have precluded such a phenotypic trait in large theropods. Y.huali is a strong template for what reasonable, filamentous plumage would look like in animals like T.rex, and even that is still very contested. BUT, this line is all about bold, visionary interpretations of these immensely beautiful and immensely mysterious animals. I'm perhaps most anxious for the colors that will be utilized in the final piece... I'm hoping for something truly remarkable, yet with predatory utility in terms of cryptic coloration. It's a great opportunity. I can't get over the robustness of the sculpt. If the piece has a vibrant color palette (AND if it is an intended companion piece for the Triceratops), it could be a territorial male, seeking to supplement much-needed energy reserves for conspecific combat or to provide a meal in courting a susceptible female. If the color palette is more dull, it could be a gravid female, desperately seeking the nourishment needed to sustain her and her progeny. Two mothers fighting for the next generation... I'd like some fresh wounds on both animals to really tie the story together. Plus, adequately enormous teeth on the Tyrannosaur!!! This has been done right in the previous Tyrannosaur statues. I can't really get a good visual on the teeth on this one. Hopefully very menacing, as the prodigious teeth are a hallmark trait setting T.rex apart from even other large theropods. LOTS of potential already laden in the sculpt. Just thinking out loud. :) ;)

I'm thrilled to see so many imminent additions to the line. Truly heady times to be a dino nerd! :yess:

Sure be nice to have a really elegant Duckbill, but that might not sell as well as a predator. A giganotosaurus or Charcarodontosaurus as well.

Scar, change your avatar, please. Just kidding.

Anything new SS dinosaur is music. Bring em on SS, & jack up size/scale before it's too late.

Sure be nice to have a really elegant Duckbill, but that might not sell as well as a predator. A giganotosaurus or Charcarodontosaurus as well.

Scar, I wonder just how much color Sideshow is game for ? They can do pieces right but more often than not they skip over some of the best places to utilize it.

I'm still hoping for for a large duckbill Ricardo..and a Giga as I've told Jorge a few times..lol For the duckbill I'll just have to let Shane Foulkes Anatotitan and upcoming Hypacrosaurus fill the void for now. Maybe he'll do a Carcharodontosaurus as well ?

You know..I have an avatar of a certain red Allosaurus I might switch to.. lol ;)

What can I say, Ricardo? I'm a fan of well-crafted paleo-characters. ;) And thank you for continually providing them. My fiance wants us to get "AoR: The Journey" #1-4 framed for our guest room or study. Can't argue with that; a good idea is a good idea. :)

Scar, I wonder just how much color Sideshow is game for ? They can do pieces right but more often than not they skip over some of the best places to utilize it.

I'm still hoping for for a large duckbill Ricardo..and a Giga as I've told Jorge a few times..lol For the duckbill I'll just have to let Shane Foulkes Anatotitan and upcoming Hypacrosaurus fill the void for now. Maybe he'll do a Carcharodontosaurus as well ?

You know..I have an avatar of a certain red Allosaurus I might switch to.. lol ;)

You make a solid point about paint application. Historically, I really love the color choices they've been utilizing. It's why I keep alluding to the solid blending of cryptic coloration with some of the more sexually dimorphic, ostentatious hues. Some pieces lean more towards one or the other, whereas some display a solid amalgam. There's so much variety in the animal kingdom, it would be a shame not to also get some stripes/streaks, spots, or layers of gradation. As long as it doesn't traverse from ornate to implausible, I'll be a happy camper.

What can I say, Ricardo? I'm a fan of well-crafted paleo-characters. ;) And thank you for continually providing them. My fiance wants us to get "AoR: The Journey" #1-4 framed for our guest room or study. Can't argue with that; a good idea is a good idea. :)

You make a solid point about paint application. Historically, I really love the color choices they've been utilizing. It's why I keep alluding to the solid blending of cryptic coloration with some of the more sexually dimorphic, ostentatious hues. Some pieces lean more towards one or the other, whereas some display a solid amalgam. There's so much variety in the animal kingdom, it would be a shame not to also get some stripes/streaks, spots, or layers of gradation. As long as it doesn't traverse from ornate to implausible, I'll be a happy camper.

There's an idea ! I used to hang all my AoR comics up in my room..I think we need some of those art prints again Ricardo ! ;)

So..no Luis Rey dinos ? lol

Hey, I'd never take anything away from Luis V. Rey's work!!! The man does some truly stunning paleoart. And I absolutely think there's a place for flamboyant coloration in paleontological fauna, where the ecology allows for its development. Particularly for conspecific interactions. But there's a balance to be stricken between boon vs. hindrance. It's all environmentally dependent, and the natural world is brimming with examples of visual patterns on fauna that serve as camouflage while being visually stunning. I just can't imagine a world where it would make sense for a T.rex to have fluorescent blue polka dots studded across a neon pink body. :lol A lot of opportunities to use striking visuals; the trick is to make them ecologically plausible in paleoart.

Last edited:
Exactly Scar. I bought Luis's first book when it came out..really liked his interpretations. Though a few require me to wear sunglasses anymore.. lol

Nice Ricardo..will be waiting !

P.S. I still have a certain Carnotaurus if your still interested. :)

So in the past they released the previews about 2-weeks out, so we're really close.

Back