Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I guess no one here pressed the R1/R2 shoulder buttons during the MGS 2 codec sequences? There are so many little nuances hidden away in that game, and it's a shame to just look at it on the surface and cast it aside as a silly chapter of some sort. For one thing, it was definitely Kojima's most ambitious MGS game to date.

I used to zoom in and out the hell out of the codec conversations, that was one of the 1st things I noticed and I was still a dumb teenager at the time :lol

So, I guess no one here pressed the R1/R2 shoulder buttons during the MGS 2 codec sequences? There are so many little nuances hidden away in that game, and it's a shame to just look at it on the surface and cast it aside as a silly chapter of some sort. For one thing, it was definitely Kojima's most ambitious MGS game to date.

Been around for the whole series and it certainly is, no other work of fiction deconstructs and breaks their own established canon to prove a point. A lot of people were pissed off by the game, that's because they wanted to have a good time, which was not the point of MGS2. It's supposed to ridicule you on fanboyism and expectations, and by playing the game from a proper perspective you'll realize Kojima was genuinely trying out new ways to convey narrative, something he hasn't done quite as ambitiously since. It's like going out on a date with that rich girl where everything seems be going wrong for you.

I remember way back in 2001/02 when some of my seniors in high school telling me they "get" what MGS2 was about, amidst the foaming fans that didn't like it, that always made me feel like I needed to learn more because these guys are smarter than me. :lol

Last edited:
I agree Solidus and Ryan. I always thought it was amazing, and never understood why people hated it. I knew about fans' disappointment in not playing as Solid Snake, but I thought he was awesome in the game, and loved viewing his character through Raiden's perspective. I don't think I had a bigger dopamine rush in a video game since the I first time I heard, "No, that is not Solid Snake!" I previously said on here that I thought it was the best, but I just like MGS3 more because of those heart breaking scenes. I never teared up any other movie, game, novel, or story, yet that story really got to me. Although I still didn't tear up, but if I had the capability to, that would have been the one to do it! Although MGS4's emotional impact came close, like when Snake helps "Big Mama" walk and dives in the fire to rescue her, everything about Shadow Moses, the scene where Snake makes the joke about smoking, and no one laughs, when he's being overwhelmed by the dwarf gekkos and yells "OTACOOOOOOOON", any time his degradation was brought up, every "I'm no hero speech", etc. There's a lot of them!

I agree Solidus and Ryan. I always thought it was amazing, and never understood why people hated it. I knew about fans' disappointment in not playing as Solid Snake, but I thought he was awesome in the game, and loved viewing his character through Raiden's perspective. I don't think I had a bigger dopamine rush in a video game since the I first time I heard, "No, that is not Solid Snake!" I previously said on here that I thought it was the best, but I just like MGS3 more because of those heart breaking scenes. I never teared up any other movie, game, novel, or story, yet that story really got to me. Although I still didn't tear up, but if I had the capability to, that would have been the one to do it! Although MGS4's emotional impact came close, like when Snake helps "Big Mama" walk and dives in the fire to rescue her, everything about Shadow Moses, the scene where Snake makes the joke about smoking, and no one laughs, when he's being overwhelmed by the dwarf gekkos and yells "OTACOOOOOOOON", any time his degradation was brought up, every "I'm no hero speech", etc. There's a lot of them!

MGS4 was just pure fan service, some of those scenes also had me on the verge of tearing up a little. Big Boss’s death scene was also one of the saddest moments I’ve ever encountered playing a video game.

If you want to get into it with mgs2 it had practically the same gameplay as mgs1. Raiden playing instead of snake wasnt horrible for me because i was getting the same type of game with the same feel. Yeah i was mad at first when i wasnt solid but it quickly went away when i got into the game.

Also pturtle, do you mean the boss instead of big boss?

If you want to get into it with mgs2 it had practically the same gameplay as mgs1. Raiden playing instead of snake wasnt horrible for me because i was getting the same type of game with the same feel. Yeah i was mad at first when i wasnt solid but it quickly went away when i got into the game.

Also pturtle, do you mean the boss instead of big boss?

Nope, I was referring to Big Boss at the end of MGS4, Solid lighting up his cigar and his finals words all hit me.

The Boss' death was also sad but I just didn't have the same attachment to her like I did Big Boss and Solid Snake.

Last edited:
I don't know, the Boss' death hit me harder than anything, it was borderline traumatic, the game did a wonderful job sucking you into BB's situation, it was his mother/father figure, his greatest mentor and he had to put her down like a dog, and the game was cruel enough to make YOU pull the trigger.

Kojima you sick ****. :cuss

I may have to play MGS2 again, I only played it twice when I was a teenager so there's a lot that could've escaped me, maybe I can appreciate it better.

The Boss's death definitely hit me harder. Personally, MGS4 got me during Snake's aging moments and the deaths of the central figures of MGS3 (Eva, Ocelot and Big Boss). They all died in disappointing ways playing their "role" as either some support (Eva), villain (Ocelot), or the closure Snake needed (Big Boss).

I recognize not many were a fan of it here, but I'm glad Snake willingly didn't kill himself. For me it just didn't feel right that the given circumstances somehow forced Snake into a corner to "sacrifice" himself just because the story told you so (it's such a lame plot device that felt forced and empty due to its zero-sum nature, literally a friggin' virus of all things). The only way I could accept Snake actually dying was if it were like the original plan, where Snake and Otacon are executed as fugitives where Snake's unrelenting spirit remains strong and his death is brought on as a consequence than through spoon-fed means (again, a virus??? dafuq?)

It's why I thought Big Boss's final appearance (even if a bit prolonged) actually helped in making the ending better, it literally plays on the idea of the "sins of the father" and how the older generation willfully lifts the burden they've put on the younger generations (which in of itself, seems like a very popular theme in Japanese fiction based on post-WWII sentiments).

Man The Boss got to me. The fact that she had done so much, and that it actually made sense...along with her relationship to Big Boss, I was pretty sad. I questioned her a few times but it was all pretty intriguing. Eva's speech made me even sadder, and the fact that Big Boss himself cried, wow. I wish we saw or got to know her more. I could actually see myself agreeing with her ideologies, she made a lot of sense.

MGS 4 surprisingly didn't get me until Big Boss himself died, since I came to know and respect the guy as his own character in 3. I thought seeing Solid Snake die would have gotten me (Kratos supposedly dying in God of War III got me I'll admit) but when he didn't, I was sort of relieved.

I believe Plissken or Solidus stated that 3 should have been stand alone, and that we interpret where Big Boss became a villain from there which I wish was true. Based on that game alone and what Boss had to do - the fact that he didn't have a remotely happy ending compared to Snake and Raiden from MGS 1 and 2 - it would make sense.

I believe Plissken or Solidus stated that 3 should have been stand alone, and that we interpret where Big Boss became a villain from there which I wish was true. Based on that game alone and what Boss had to do - the fact that he didn't have a remotely happy ending compared to Snake and Raiden from MGS 1 and 2 - it would make sense.

That's an interesting way of putting it. While I certainly don't mind the new games (they're not perfect but they're still fun games), leaving it open to interpretation like that for Big Boss would've been interesting in its own right, not to mention more clean-cut in terms of the canon.

Well it was just horrible (in a good way)! As soon as Big Boss gets his eye shot out for Eva, it's like a crazy emotional roller coaster. And once it gets to the gameplay section where your helping defend Eva, while making your way to kill the Boss is where the heart strings are pulled tighter and tighter. When I first played it, I was like, "Forget stealth! I'm going to make sure no one hurts my woman!" That final battle with the Boss is easily my all time favorite boss battle in a game, because it's so emotionally charged. They did an amazing job building to that point, and then they don't let you go with that. You have to see his heart get ripped open immediately after he just had to kill his beloved mentor. Oh no folks! We won't let it end like that! Then you see him forced to shake hands with the last people he wants to see on the planet, and have them all celebrating, while he suffers. Oh no! We're not done there! Then they show him at the Boss' gravesite, and you see one of the hardest guys ever, break down, shedding tears. And then there's "Way to Fall!" It was all just beautifully done.

I agree FSLAR, unless I'm misunderstanding. Are you okay with what was revealed about Big Boss in MGS4, and just that there shouldn't be any other titles with Big Boss as the star? I believe they gave us everything we need to know about his character in MGS-MGS4. Who knows? MGSV might be my favorite story of the series, but I still don't think it's part of the original continuity established in MGS-MGS4. I haven't seen the new Planet of the Apes, but I think it's a similar deal with that. I think it's building up toward the original movie, but it's not really in the same canon. We'll see when we get there!

I'm still not sure what to make of Big Boss in MGS 4 but Big Boss's MGS games since 3 are questionable to me; still ok games though.

https://www.computerandvideogames.com/472918/kojima-to-show-off-new-mgs5-gameplay-at-gamescom/

Konami is to hold a special Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain event at Gamescom August 13, and series creator Hideo Kojima will be in attendance discussing the upcoming title.The hour-long event will be hosted by Geoff Keighley and streamed on Twitch.tv from 8pm CET/7pm GMT/3pm EDT.

Kojima will present new gameplay of the game to showcase the "impressive capabilities of Kojima Productions' breathtaking FOX Engine and more".

In addition to the new gameplay presentation there will also be Q&A session and “a few surprises".Konami will be hosting competitions and partnership deals giving fans the opportunity to win invites to the event, and further details for these will be announced soon.

Kojima said in January that The Phantom Pain will be hundreds of times larger than Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, the standalone prelude released in March (compare world maps here).

No official release date has been set for The Phantom Pain, but Kojima told Famitsu last November he would likely launch the game "around the time" that PS4 becomes widely adopted.

In a recent interview, Kojima offered CVG a few new details about The Phantom Pain's online features. Each player will have their own customizable Mother Base, an off-shore facility which houses resources and can be upgraded using in-game currency.

Well it was just horrible (in a good way)! As soon as Big Boss gets his eye shot out for Eva, it's like a crazy emotional roller coaster. And once it gets to the gameplay section where your helping defend Eva, while making your way to kill the Boss is where the heart strings are pulled tighter and tighter. When I first played it, I was like, "Forget stealth! I'm going to make sure no one hurts my woman!"
:lol:lol:lol damn straight!

That final battle with the Boss is easily my all time favorite boss battle in a game, because it's so emotionally charged. They did an amazing job building to that point, and then they don't let you go with that. You have to see his heart get ripped open immediately after he just had to kill his beloved mentor. Oh no folks! We won't let it end like that! Then you see him forced to shake hands with the last people he wants to see on the planet, and have them all celebrating, while he suffers. Oh no! We're not done there! Then they show him at the Boss' gravesite, and you see one of the hardest guys ever, break down, shedding tears. And then there's "Way to Fall!" It was all just beautifully done.

:lol brilliant :clap

MGS4 boss fight vs Ocelot was also intense and crazy rewarding because of how difficult it was, you had to have near perfect timing, but MGS3 was far more heart wrenching.

this game been teased for a long time since the "Moby ****" stunt and yet we don't have an official Release date ..

1063153.gif

Back