red color coming of Captain Americas shield

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried contacting HT to see about getting a replacement (I know, it's a longshot) but only heard crickets. Anybody got an email address?

I just checked my Captain America: First Avenger and the red is flaking off his shield as well; I will try to take pictures and post them later tonight.

Mine is bad, I'm planning to strip the paint by either dunking the shield in brake fluid or spraying with oven cleaner. Hopefully the plastic is similar to polystyrene (standard model kit plastic) so Tamiya lacquer spray paints will adhere well. I also hope the shield's plastic will accept Alclad lacquers. Alclad has better chrome silver, it looks almost electroplated just like HT's paint job on the shield.

Noticed today mine is also coming off. Since I have GA and stealth set on order I am going to strip this to get the silver. And then look for a war uniform for him

My shield for TFA seemed like it was holding up well... but 2 days ago I noticed I had him pressed up against the side of the Detolf he's in and when I shifted him over the plating on the sheild that was in contact with the glass came off :lol

Oh well, guess I'll go ahead and do battled damage on him now that the shield is messed-up looking :huh

Yeah I had a tiny paint flake on mine. As i examined it, I decided to gently dust it with a soft bristled paint brush, and it took the paint off! I was afraid to even breathe on it after that debacle. Hopefully future Cap releases won't have the same QC issues.

Mine is bad, I'm planning to strip the paint by either dunking the shield in brake fluid or spraying with oven cleaner. Hopefully the plastic is similar to polystyrene (standard model kit plastic) so Tamiya lacquer spray paints will adhere well. I also hope the shield's plastic will accept Alclad lacquers. Alclad has better chrome silver, it looks almost electroplated just like HT's paint job on the shield.

Just wipe it with acetone. The whole base layer is the chromed silver, the red and blue will come off and leave the silver. If you want to take the chrome off you'll probably destroy the shield.

from another post...

looks 1000 times better after the coat. so much more accurate to the movie...

before:
20130214_235007_zpsc919d1e0.jpg

after:
20130214_235037_zps8dacb835.jpg

These pics are mine I coated mine with the TS-79 spray, I made a thread about it also a while back, check my username for created threads.

I have to be honest I sprayed mine about a year ago and under the light I have started to notice the paint cracking under the coat. I have done another coat recently but seems it's only a matter of time until the paint will go.

I have stripped the paint of one and repainted it, it doesn't look as good at very close inspection but from a distance it's acceptable. If and when the paint chips on my Ts-79 coated shield I may reattempt a paint and take my time with it. The other I repainted has lasted a year without any signs of cracking.

These pics are mine I coated mine with the TS-79 spray, I made a thread about it also a while back, check my username for created threads.

I have to be honest I sprayed mine about a year ago and under the light I have started to notice the paint cracking under the coat. I have done another coat recently but seems it's only a matter of time until the paint will go.

I have stripped the paint of one and repainted it, it doesn't look as good at very close inspection but from a distance it's acceptable. If and when the paint chips on my Ts-79 coated shield I may reattempt a paint and take my time with it. The other I repainted has lasted a year without any signs of cracking.

Oh mine, it seems like even the coat spray cant help..the only solution would be to repaint it?

Back