Australians

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agen_kolar

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am in need of your assistance. You see, I'm traveling this summer, and your country is at the top of my list. Number one.

So, my first question is: What is the cheapest way to travel Australia?

I found some good deals on flights via Qantas. They have an Air Pass that allows you to fly to Australia, have three flights within the country, and a flight back home for around $1200. So unless you have some other suggestions, I would likely be doing that for the flights.

I would probably fly into Sydney, and choose one of my flights to be Uluru, but I'm not sure what the other two should be. Melbourne? Cairns? Hobart? Brisbane? Other suggestions? How is transportation within said cities? Are there metro systems, or are taxis and such the best way to get around?

Is New Zealand only a cheap flight away? I might be willing to spend a day or two there, as well - just for the heck of it. However, New Zealand will warrant its own trip in the future.

My next question is hotels. I may stay in student/youth hostels, because that's cheapest and I've heard great things about them. I've had friends travel in Europe and make lifelong friends through the hostels. However, I'm open to suggestions on this front, as well.

Money for food and such won't be much of an issue, I've been saving for this. Still, I wanna be relatively cheap. And I don't buy souvenirs, maybe just a shirt or something. My souvenirs are the photos I take.

So, all of this being said, what else do I need to know? I've done a lot of research. Enough to make me not swim at the beach for fear of sharks, enough to make me not hike in the bush for fear of dingoes, and enough to not go near the rivers for fear of crocodiles. But other than that, I'm ready to go! Maybe I'll even see some of you fellow Freaks there. :D

So, my first question is: What is the cheapest way to travel Australia?

Swim. Haha.

Sorry, I have no further information to give. Never been to Australia. I have seen Crocodile Dundee a time or two, though. Bring a big knife (you can carry it if you swim ... if you take a plane, I'd pack it in the checked bag).

Have fun.

SnakeDoc

Slap me green with envy! What month you going!? I'm being invited to go there on April but I can't(Busy, busy year!).Awwwwwww....:doh

I'll probably end up in Hong Kong or somewhere in the Turd World this year...

*slaps you green with envy* :thwak

:D

I'm planning on going in either late May/early June or late July/early August. It'll be my first out-of-the-country experience, besides Canada.

Man that would be awesome trip to take!!

But u'll probably have to wait for a real response since it's like 10:25 am over there....and they might be sleeping!!!

*slaps you green with envy* :thwak

:D

I'm planning on going in either late May/early June or late July/early August. It'll be my first out-of-the-country experience, besides Canada.

Hey Agen, do you know that it is winter here during those months?
You should be here now while it is still summer.
Make sure you come to Melbourne, you should be coming here first really, Sydney is a hole...:D

Yes, I realize that - but that's the only time of the year I can go. As a near-full time employee of UCF and a full-time grad student, the summer is the only time I can get the length of time off that I need AND the only time I'm not in class. However, considering that classes end in late April, I could probably go the end of April and/or May. Would that make a big difference?

I believe Oceanic Airways has the lowest fares. :rolleyes:

oceanicairlines.jpg

Yes, I realize that - but that's the only time of the year I can go. As a near-full time employee of UCF and a full-time grad student, the summer is the only time I can get the length of time off that I need AND the only time I'm not in class. However, considering that classes end in late April, I could probably go the end of April and/or May. Would that make a big difference?[/QUOTE]

Not realy but hey you could always go snowboarding/skiing if your into
that kind of thing.

Hey Agen. Don't worry about the Dingoes, you only find them towards the center of Oz and on Fraser Island slightly north of Brisbane. Unless you have a head the size of a baby they shouldn't harm you (sick I know) and don't feed the buggers.
Crocodiles usually only reside in rivers north of Bundaberg, anywhere south of that is fairly safe.
And as for sharks, stay out of the waters off the Great Australian Bite near South Australia. They breed like fly's down there!
But it's not the larger animals you have to be really aware of. Spiders and snakes are everywhere!
And you're probably thinking Oz is a safe place to visit.:lol

Strangely, the most realistic dangers are those I fear the least. I don't like spiders or snakes, but neither of them really scare me.

And Bam, thanks for that link and info on Bing - I'll definitely be checking them out!

Those 3 words pretty much some up why I will never go to australia :lol

I would really like to see steve irwins zoo though, that guy was a legend :rock

"I don't like spiders and snakes
And that ain't what it takes to love me
You foo'.....You foo'!"

:lol :D

Back