New Score and Scenes for 2007 release

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixletwin

Malalaking Gagamba
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone remember reading this in 2002? I don't.

cinescape.com said:
A little more is coming out about that STAR WARS SPECIAL-SPECIAL EDITION we touched on last week. It seems in the Dutch magazine Score, John Williams indicated he would be slipping the Imperial March into STAR WARS EPISOD IV: A NEW HOPE (which we’d already brought you) but the new-SPECIAL EDITION for the film would make its premiere on DVD, and not another theatrical release.

“I am thrilled to have the chance to go back to something I composed in 1977 and be able to make the entire saga continuous theme-wise," Williams said. "Notably absent in the first movie is the Imperial March. Being able to insert that theme in the first movie will create a much stronger emotional flow throughout the Saga… After the release of EPISODE III George will enhance the original trilogy with additional scenes and special effects, adding my adjustments to the score this will seamlessly branch the entire STAR WARS SAGA into one massive romantic space opera. I think something of this magnitude has never been done before."

Howard Shore proved that rescoring and adjusting the music for new extended/director's cuts can work very well. I'm sure that John Williams is capable of the same. However, more changes to the original "Star Wars" will just give the die hard fans more to gripe about...

Yah, that was quoted from an interview with John Williams waaaaaay back. It was rumored that Bail Organa would be slipped into A New Hope as well.

I guess we won't know until it's official.

And just as star wars is probably my most purchased movie on home video, the soundtrack is also something I've done my fair share of purchasing as well.

tomandshell said:
Howard Shore proved that rescoring and adjusting the music for new extended/director's cuts can work very well. I'm sure that John Williams is capable of the same. However, more changes to the original "Star Wars" will just give the die hard fans more to gripe about...

I'm a die hard fan and I have nothing to gripe about anymore... now that I have "my" version of the OT I could care less what else he does to them. I will rent the super new special editions but I will never buy them or consider them the real movies.

I hate all this tinkering with the original Star Wars just to bring it up to speed with what followed... maybe they should scale back to the new ones to fit the first SW better. :lol

That said, placed correctly, I can see the need for the Darth Vader March in episode IV. It would be one change that makes absolute sense now.

I just hope they don't overdo it.

The question is WHERE will it fit in ANH? They better not insert the Imperial March when Vader enters the Blockade Runner. I love that entrance and the music is perfect the way that it "announces" the villain. I'll be really upset if they change that. :vader

decadentdave said:
The question is WHERE will it fit in ANH? They better not insert the Imperial March when Vader enters the Blockade Runner. I love that entrance and the music is perfect the way that it "announces" the villain. I'll be really upset if they change that. :vader

That's probably a likely place -- to establish his theme. Sorry.

My guess is that the DVM will also replace the old Imperial theme when the Falcon is being pulled into the Death Star.

FlyAndFight said:
Just another attempt at milking the galactic cow for Lucas. He's a one-trick-pony director and it's getting tiresome.

Truer words cannot be spoken.

Actually, I kinda like the way SW has become an ever evolving work in progress... it's fun to watch how it just keeps growing and changing.

Too bad there's no versioning system in place yet. Can you imagine if after 10 years we start referring to ANH with version numbers? I'm already confused with which tweaks were done to which and when!!!

Radagaster, it breaks down like this:

SE97 - Special Editions on VHS
SE04 - Special Editions on DVD (with Hayden and further changes)
-then there was a rerelease of the SE04 in a 3 pack noone bought-
OUT - Original Unaltered Trilogy released last month which also included the SE04
SBS - Saga Box Set which will be released next year.

I love the changes. I love the original. I am totally with abake that I like to see the evolution of things.

Instead of constantly buggering about with the OT to make them fit the PT better Lucas should do something with the PT (like totally remaking the first two movies) to make them watchable for more than the odd scene in each film.

Batty said:
Has there been any recent word on the 3-D versions of the movies?
The last I heard was that they will be further down the road than they had thought... So don't expect to see any news very soon. :monkey2

I love the originals and I like the new changes. It gives me a lot of choices and I can buy them or not. Freedom and creativity...:chew.

bcm77 said:
Instead of constantly buggering about with the OT to make them fit the PT better Lucas should do something with the PT (like totally remaking the first two movies) to make them watchable for more than the odd scene in each film.

Ain't that the truth!

Honestly, what would Harry Potter fans think if JK Rowling said she was going to edit The Sorcerer's Stone so that book 7 would make sense? That's basically what Lucas is doing here, and as a person who would love to write her own stories some day, I have absolutely no respect for that. If I'm continuing a story in the universe I've already created/written in, whether it's a prequel or a sequel, I'm going to base if off my original, successful work....I'm not going to go back and change my original, successful work. That makes no sense.

Lucas constantly changing the OT to fit the PT just tells me he should've gotten the PT right the first time. He's got it completely backwards.

Josette said:
Honestly, what would Harry Potter fans think if JK Rowling said she was going to edit The Sorcerer's Stone so that book 7 would make sense?...
Um.... Tolkien revised The Hobbit so it would mesh better with LOTR. Do you all take issue with that? Da Vinci said that art is never finished, only abandoned. I don't think George feels like abandoning his story yet and far be it from me to tell him when he can or can't.

:rolleyes:

madden821 said:
I'm a die hard fan and I have nothing to gripe about anymore... now that I have "my" version of the OT I could care less what else he does to them.

My thoughts as well.

My only gripe about the "new" versions was that Lucas felt there was no need to rerelease the "original" versions which he felt were inferior but many fans did not. Just because he updated the old films doesn't make them better than the original versions.

Im with the loving the evolution crowd. I like the tweaks to make it a seamless 6 epiosde, 12 hour film. its Star Wars. It isnt just A New Hope, it isnt just Revenge of the Sith. I just wish some things could be added back like the Sandstorm or Anchorhead. I for one am excited to see what is added.

Back