Star Wars Rereleases in 3D Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haters-Gonna-Hate-Banned-In-Hollywood-11.jpg

If anything I think the bandwagoning was people who liked the PT. Or maybe the circles I run in aren't representative of the majority but it certainly seemed that the 'rebellious' thing to do was to say you liked it.

I guess that's always going to be the debate; those that hate believe enjoyers are banding together, those that enjoy believe that haters are banding together

personally I believe the latter to be true :nana:

When TPM was released in theatres, people were lined up around the block and came out cheering, despite Jar Jar and little Anny's bad acting. It wasn't until much later that the hipster hating on the PT BS started.

No, the backlash on usenet was pretty much immediate for TPM. alt.fan.starwars. The SE's had many people leary of what TPM would bring and it certainly didn't win everyone over.

"Banding together" pfft. I honestly don't care if others like the prequels or not. To each his/her own. But I do think they're mostly poop, and that has nothing to do with anyone else's opinion but my own.

"Banding together" pfft. I honestly don't care if others like the prequels or not. To each his/her own. But I do think they're mostly poop, and that has nothing to do with anyone else's opinion but my own.

This statement pretty much applies to how I feel but with a positive spin...

"I honestly don't care if others like the prequels or not. To each his/her own. But I do think they're mostly enjoyable movies, and that has nothing to do with anyone else's opinion but my own."

There have been films that have received universal acclaim that I thought were dog **** (Slumdog Millionaire), just the same as there are films that nobody likes that I think are awesome.

"I honestly don't care if others like the prequels or not. To each his/her own. But I do think they're mostly enjoyable movies, and that has nothing to do with anyone else's opinion but my own."

There have been films that have received universal acclaim that I thought were dog **** (Slumdog Millionaire), just the same as there are films that nobody likes that I think are awesome.

You thought Slumdog Millionaire was terrible? Really? I could see not being an enthusiastic fan but I can't imagine how anyone would actually find it offensive. I thought I'd hate it but loved every minute of it.

I'm actually with you on this statement though. Now that my "Harmy immersion" of the last 12 months has pretty much washed away the filth of the SE's I can watch the OT and recognize just HOW MUCH better it is than the PT. I mean it's not even close (okay technically ROTJ and ROTS are pretty close but ROTJ still has the OT "magic.")

However whenever I watch the PT I find myself not hating them and even kind of liking them. It's weird.

You thought Slumdog Millionaire was terrible? Really? I could see not being an enthusiastic fan but I can't imagine how anyone would actually find it offensive. I thought I'd hate it but loved every minute of it.

I wouldn't say Slumdog Millionaire offended me or that I hate it, just found it dragged a lot and didn't entertain me at all. I think I was a bit hasty with my use of the word "dog ****" haha. But others loved it and that's fine. Movies are about what appeals to us personally, and we all have our own tastes.

I think HATE is a very strong word that gets thrown around too much with regards to movies. I don't think I could honestly say i HATE any movie. I don't understand how people can get so worked up about an art form (which is fundamentally what a movie is) that they have the energy and capacity to HATE it. Didn't enjoy it? Fair enough. Didn't like it? Ok. But HATE it? Woah.

I dunno, I guess I just can't understand how a movie can bother someone enough or influence them into hating?

I'm actually with you on this statement though. Now that my "Harmy immersion" of the last 12 months has pretty much washed away the filth of the SE's I can watch the OT and recognize just HOW MUCH better it is than the PT. I mean it's not even close (okay technically ROTJ and ROTS are pretty close but ROTJ still has the OT "magic.")

However whenever I watch the PT I find myself not hating them and even kind of liking them. It's weird.

Exactly, I think if people just accept them for what they are, acknowledge that they aren't the same level as the OT, and see them as segments of an overall story arc, then there won't be as much "hate".

The thing that I find is crazy is when people say they hate the PT so much that they can no longer watch the OT and feel that it has destroyed their love for Star Wars in general... I'm like "What?!?! Seriously?!?!"

Just seems like a bit of an over-exaggeration to me. You can still watch ANH, TESB, and ROTJ... it's ok! Lol

I'm curious as to why they departed from the once a year schedule. Do they want to hurry up and get to the OT or speed up the release of 3d BluRay. I was disapointed in the conversion for TPM, but AOTC and ROTS had a lot more going on visually so maybe its worth it.

I'm curious as to why they departed from the once a year schedule. Do they want to hurry up and get to the OT or speed up the release of 3d BluRay. I was disapointed in the conversion for TPM, but AOTC and ROTS had a lot more going on visually so maybe its worth it.

Zam Wessell chase through Coruscant = 3D Win
Jedi vs. Separatists in the Arena = 3D Win
Geonosis Clone Battle = 3D Win

Republic vs. Separatists space battle over Coruscant = 3D Win
Utapau Clone Battle = 3D Win
Darth Vader vs. Obi-Wan on Mustafar = 3D Win

and of course... the scene where Vader takes his first breath... not just for 3D... but because it's so epic :rock

The thing that I find is crazy is when people say they hate the PT so much that they can no longer watch the OT and feel that it has destroyed their love for Star Wars in general... I'm like "What?!?! Seriously?!?!"

Just seems like a bit of an over-exaggeration to me. You can still watch ANH, TESB, and ROTJ... it's ok! Lol

It hasn't destroyed my love for the OT but it has certainly dampened it. The fact that Lucas forces us to watch only his latest re-edit of the OT doesn't help matters. (if you're hoping for the theatricals on the latest format that is - I know he eventually caved and put them on DVD but if memory serves they didn't bother to clean them up properly or do an anamorphic widescreen job)

Last edited:
All of this stuff has never really dampened my enthusiasm for the original films at all. But it did affect the "brand" of STAR WARS and how I view the entire saga. It actually started with the Expanded Universe books and comics. I never really liked any of those (until KOTOR) but I bought and read them because I was starved for new Star Wars. Then Shadows of The Empire happened. Then the Special Editions. Then the prequels. Then all this other silly stuff (and even tons more EU). So, I've had to completely compartmentalise my love of SW. It's basically the OT, and a few other things here and there. But the whole franchise is much bigger than just that now, and a lot of it just frankly does not appeal to me.

10-15 years ago (and before that) I would eat, sleep and breath Star Wars. Couldn't get enough of it. But it's been completely diluted. Oh well, everyone's gotta "grow up" sometime. :lol

10-15 years ago (and before that) I would eat, sleep and breath Star Wars. Couldn't get enough of it. But it's been completely diluted. Oh well, everyone's gotta "grow up" sometime. :lol

I remember in the 90's as I started to grow up that SW began and ended with the movies. First the 1990 VHS trilogy and then the laserdiscs. I watched them over and over and over, dissected them with my friends, talked to others on the internet when the ONLY controversial aspects were the tidy resolution of the Luke/Leia/Han love triangle and ewoks.

No collectibles to speak of, no revisions, hardly any EU. Such purity.

I'm finding myself gravitating back to that. Heck I just went to Celebration and the only "swag" I bought for myself was a freaking Captain America poster. :lol

The fact that Lucas forces us to watch only his latest re-edit of the OT doesn't help matters.

This argument no longer applies. Lucas has acknowledged his awareness of fan restorations of the OT and has decided not to shut them down. That's his way of yielding to those who love the unaltered OT as far as I'm concerned.

It hasn't destroyed my love for the OT but it has certainly dampened it. The fact that Lucas forces us to watch only his latest re-edit of the OT doesn't help matters.

Even this I don't understand... When I watch the OT I'm still watching Vader, Luke, Han, Leia, the droids etc.

Obviously that's how you feel though :1-1: I just think it's a shame that people have allowed it to influence them in such a way.

I don't hear many people saying that Terminator Salvation or, to a lesser extent, Terminator 3, destroyed people's love for T1 and T2? I don't see why Star Wars is different?

FYI, I think T1 and T2 are modern classics, T3 and TS I can still enjoy :)

Back