iPhone OS 4.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: IPhone OS 4.0

I don't know about that. The 3GS does have a much faster processor than the 3G. I don't know how the new OS functions, but I'm guessing it is relying on that extra speed.

Redmond Pie just posted video of the iPhone OS 4.0 that can do all of the new features including multitasking on the 3G jailbroken which simply removes the "locks" that Apple places on their phones.... So looks like the processor isn't a factor. Apple is just edging out the older models.

Redmond Pie just posted video of the iPhone OS 4.0 that can do all of the new features including multitasking on the 3G jailbroken which simply removes the "locks" that Apple places on their phones.... So looks like the processor isn't a factor. Apple is just edging out the older models.

This video? https://www.redmondpie.com/multitasking-iphone-3g-iphone-os-4-9140649/

I'm sure a jailbreak will allow you turn on multitasking on a 3G (it already does on the current OS poorly) the real question is how well does it perform? The video only demonstrates Clock (which is already a "multitasking" app with the current OS), Settings (which requires no background processes), and Calculator (again, which has no background processes).

Show me this thing running apps that require background audio, voip, background location, or task completion while running a different app and then we'll know for sure how well this thing multitasks.

Unfortunately, outside of Apple's own apps, there aren't any multitask capable apps (that I know of) to test so we likely won't have an answer until the official release of OS 4.

I can't see the video at work, just got the email that its up there but I agree that the multitasking is available on jailbroken phones which proves it works but I don't think the quality is the issue just the fact that its available. Even if it sucks, the 3G should have the same capability as the 3Gs because its a component that exists, the same way that with jailbreaks you can use camcorder apps from Cydia even though supposedly that is only a 3Gs thing. My point is that Apple is continuing to box out their older models not necessarily that they will all work like a dream.

iPhone OS 4 delivers the best mail experience on a mobile phone with its new Unified Inbox, allowing users to see messages from all their email accounts displayed together in a single inbox. With just a few taps, users can quickly switch between inboxes to see messages from any single account.

I do NOT want my work e-mail and personal e-mail getting mixed together into a single inbox.

Supposedly there is icons that appear next to each email to differenciate them from each other or something to that regard and with each email the phone would actually know from each email to send the response from. I'm a little anxious to see how this works because it'd be nice not to have to go back and forth through my emails but I'm wondering how that'll work with folders and trash bins form multiple accounts.

They could parse the extensions of the address of each e-mail and sort, shouldn't be too difficult.

no-flash.jpg

I like it, if its legit. A bit bulkier than the last but doesn't look over too bad. I just wish the rumor that it'd get the steel back look like the first gen iPhones and the iPad were true but I can deal. I wonder if Skype's 4.0 upgrade will allow for multitasking. If I can run Skype in the background continously it'd make for a need of less minutes plus cool video conversations.

Awesome!!! Can't wait to get one. I dropped mine in January and cracked the heck out of the top of the screen, but I've been holding out for the new iPhone to come out instead of replacing it.

~~Someone at Apple is gonna get in trouble for losing that thing.

Back