Galactiboy's foray into sculpting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galactiboy

OT Preferist
Reaction score
Galactiboy's Customs

Hey all! Inspired by the great work being done on the boards I've decided to attempt something new for myself... sculpting. So yesterday I bought some super sculpy and $8 worth of tools. And after few sad attempts I completed the first headsculpt I'm pretty happy with.

Brock Samson

And for fun here's an updated Brock, nearly a year later:
Brock2b.jpg

I think there is a lot of room for improvement, but since these are my first attempts sculpting anything in 10+ years I'm optimistic for future works.
[/CENTER]

I'm really struggling with the roundness of eyeballs, and getting them to look recessed underneath the eyelids. Any helpful hints on that... or anything else would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Galactic nice work. Who cares how good it is yet. You will get better. The cool thing is that you are trying. I'm excited to watch you progress. That's how I felt when I made Jabba's steps. They aren't perfect but at least I had fun and started to experiment. When I was done I had something I could be proud of.

:rock:rock:rock

Hell yeah Joseph. Its awesome to see someone challenging themselves with something new, and posting it on a internet board too.

I would be far to shy to do such a thing!!

For your first attempts I think they came out great. Practice makes perfect J.

Keep it up, and you will only get better.

I applaud your courage to try new things:clap

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!

I know I have a lot to learn, but its fun to try and cool to have a supportive board :rock :rock :rock

I agree with everything King just said! :)

Good job and keep it up!! I too look forward to watching your talent grow. :) And someday I can say "I knew him way back when...." :)

King when am I going to get you on my quiting thread. Lets go! The time is now brother. LOL!

PS

I know that you do look cool smoking them! LOL! :cool:

BadMoon said:
King when am I going to get you on my quiting thread. Lets go! The time is now brother. LOL!

PS

I know that you do look cool smoking them! LOL! :cool:

What thread is that???

I havent kept up with the board lately.

I applaud your taking this up again. I haven't got a lick of talent in this department. Mine would look like a 5 year olds mashed potato sculpts.:D

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support... i'm having fun messing around with this stuff. And its a cheaper hobby (so far) than buying more figures :lol

creecher said:
Good stuff Galactiboy. How about a samurai or a Pigsy to go with your Monkey.

So have you seen some of the Journey into the West movies? I thought I was the only one :lol

great work there! and it's good to see someone having a go :)

about the eyes, I'm still to try and sculpt any myself from scratch, but what I've read two ways to do it are either to insert ball bearings early in the sculpt into the head, and sculpt around them using them as eyeballs.

or sculpt the head without doing the eyes... sculpt the socket, lids, everything else but leave the eyeballs hollow. Then when you bake the piece and it's hard... it's much easier to go in a sculpt round eyes in there against the hard pieces, as you're not worried about damaging the work youve already done. And you can use a brush and thinner or whatever it is to brush the eyes into shape

that's what I'll be trying anyway

yeah, when I sculpted my cut off head not too long ago it was the first time I did the eye-balls first and then baked them prior to adding them to the sculpt.

I roughed in the sculpt first and got the eyes in soft sculpey about where I wanted them as far as position goes and then I dug out the holes where the eyes went and inserted the baked ones and sculpted the lids and everything around and on top of them.
I did end up only using 1 baked eyeball cause i cut it in half with my dremel and used each half for each eye.
its the only way I'll be doign round eyes in the future. works So much better

the toughest part as a noob sculptor is to put the initial time and effort into sculpting the eyes for positioning and then digging it all out and kind of ruining some of the work you put into it. But its just how the process goes. And is more than worth it

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. So I took the advice and used a baked eye (eww) and this is the resulting effort.

cyclops.jpg

Its a cyclops (hopefully that was obvious :lol ) not based on anything, just me experimenting. I think the eye came out a lot better, and more defined. Its still far from perfect, but I'm pleased. I attempted to add an old scar on the back of his head which I think is a bit easier to see in person.

I also tried a different technique with the lips, I added a mound of sculpy and shaped that which seemed to make the mouth more full looking. I think a big struggle is getting things to be more symmetrical.

Last edited:
it's good for me watching this, very informative, as I'm going to be getting into doing my own sculpts from scratch soon (General Zod to start with) Previously I've been resculpting existing heads

So watching you do it and go through the learning process is both fun, and educational to watch. Great work!

Glad to hear it! Its fun because with each one I do I feel like I'm getting a better feel for the material and how to improve the quality.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for Zod :rock

Back