ZKULPTOR/Rainman project [BTTF Marty Mcfly]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously, there are different costs of scale involved in doing a custom run of 30-50 sets and mass producing 3-4,000, but it is true that these get very pricey when you put them in a certain perspective. On the bright side, many have attempted their own custom Martys in the past, so you should have a lot of resources to go to looking for help with your own 'bash.

Having said that, I can say that Rainman's attention to detail and quality easily rivals whatever Hot Toys does, and surpasses it much of the time.

Or you can take the Hot Toys route, and produce clothing that is pretty good looking, but not have to pay an outrageously expensive fee well into the hundreds of dollars for it.
I don't think you understand the difference on costs of having a factory produce something in large quantities vs. having one guy and a tailor he works with making a custom in very low quantities. If I mass produced 10,000 widgets, they're gonna cost much less per piece than if I hand-made 30 of them.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/economiesofscale.asp#axzz1dcTfY0AU

Or you can take the Hot Toys route, and produce clothing that is pretty good looking, but not have to pay an outrageously expensive fee well into the hundreds of dollars for it.

:slap

You're in the wrong section bro. We pay good money for HIGH QUALITY figures.

Welcome to the customs section. :wave

Damn man, I had no clue they got so pricey. Hell, even Kato doesn't charge that much.

I figured it would be like $200-$250 for the set.

I find this quote interesting considering the Kato project you tried to get off the ground was going to cost over $200 for just a coat. And as I recall you spent a great deal of time trying to convince people that the price was going to be worth it.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91325&highlight=mal+browncoat

$200 for a coat vs. $350-400 for 2 shirts, a denim jacket, pants, suspenders, vest, shoes, skateboard, watch, and headphones (accessories painted up and using decals). But the brown jacket is worth it while this set isn't? I've gotta say that don't completely understand that argument. I'm not knocking Kato's prices, but at the very least this is comparably priced.

Just don't get it. :dunno No pointin saying all this, it's not like Rainman will lower the price if one guy (you) isn'thappy.

Some people just like to complain when they can't get/afford things. There have been times when I've really wanted something, but couldn't justify the price as well. I just didn't complain on the boards about it. But there have been time where I wish I could, but decorum said it wasn't the best idea if I wanted to try to get something from them in the future.

Sorry, didn't intend to bash it. I was just very very suprised when I found out that putting this figure together is going to cost $600. My first post was honestly intended as a joke as I thought the $600 was a typo.

Nor did I ever bash the quality. I never said the quality was bad.

I get it, but I don't think posting about it here is the way to go.

I never asked him to lower the price. I just said that unless I can buy individual items from him im probably going to sit this one out. You guys were the ones that jumped on my back with the whole "It is only possible to get anything of any quality unless you pay this amount" stuff.
As I recall, you first argued that Kato was cheaper (not really true), then claimed that customs should be available at Hot toys prices (not feasible), and others were just trying to explain the way it really is. No one jumping on anyone's back, but if you make questionable claims others may call you on it. The only one taking shots here that I saw was you knocking the older customs some folks attempted.

Because they do not involve tailoring. Its just the heads you can buy for 80 unpainted. ;)

Seriously man just sum it up, you will most likely get:

- red shirt
- over shirt
- jeans jaket
- jeans pants
- vest
- shoes
- skateboard
- walkman
- watch

If this set really ends up being 300 I would call it a bargain.

If you are interested, I would be willing to sell you my kitbashed set which includes all the clothes for 150. Not accurate, of course its garbage, but you cant have everything. :lol

if people can't afford to buy custom stuff just sit on the side and enjoy the thread. don't start bashing it and calling it too expensive, it's custom work and that's what alot of people start to forget. it's not mass produced and he out sources his clothing to his tailor how do you think his tailor gets paid, he's not a major corporation like hot toys some just don't get it:slap. with that being said rainman and zkulptor this is turning out really awesome.

if people can't afford to buy custom stuff just sit on the side and enjoy the thread. don't start bashing it and calling it too expensive, it's custom work and that's what alot of people start to forget. it's not mass produced and he out sources his clothing to his tailor how do you think his tailor gets paid, he's not a major corporation like hot toys some just don't get it:slap. with that being said rainman and zkulptor this is turning out really awesome.

But he should be in order to offer his work for a lesser price. :monkey3

I will take any mans garbage! :lecture

It only makes me stronger NOM NOM NOM!!!!!

:lol Ski :wave Do you still offer those Nomak clothing sets? How much have they been? Really annoying to have such a wonderful sculpt and no body to put it on... :offtopic:

:lol Ski :wave Do you still offer those Nomak clothing sets? How much have they been? Really annoying to have such a wonderful sculpt and no body to put it on... :offtopic:

I closed it off but I just recently re-opened into making him/sets since I will be putting out a ver 2.0 of the sculpt, if you haven't seen it you should stop by. More aggressive and the a new paint scheme/app since a 1 year+ more or so ago whenever I first released him.

In molding process.

:offtopic:

I think I was the one who threw out the $600 price. Which makes sense if you have to buy the head and clothes set @ 350-400 (in line with RM's normal pricing), add in a body $50, customize a stand with decals, possibly a display case and pay for any postage

$600 isn't far off (probably a little on the higher side in terms of estimates)

All very fair and for me a must have.

Back