Zack Snyder's Justice League

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished it. Definitely better than Whedon's version, but then again Whedon's version was a low bar.

So it's no surprise it follows the same story as the theatrical cut but with a fair amount more bloat. Snyder does like creating beautiful cinematic scenes but also seems to bloat stuff with unnecessary scenes. Basically, this is pretty much the film we saw from Whedon, with some additional stuff and less cringy jokes.

Also, the exposition is strong in this movie. While I am not a fan of the narrated exposition dumps, it was pretty unavoidable I think given how WB never really built these characters up. This movie is basically the first we see anything of substance about them.

Which brings me to how poorly emotionally attached I was to any of the characters. I did not feel sad about any of the deaths in Themyscira no matter how well Connie Nielsen telegraphed her own emotions. The kid saying she wants to be like Diana fell flat because this was after Diana basically murdered these people (vaporized one of them even) in front of these kids. Victor's dad is dumber than any of the scientists in Prometheus after that scene.

Even the stakes feel low. They've already shown that Darkseid can be defeated. HE ALREADY LOST. Why should he be scary? If you think of this as Superman's story where he rises to be the hero that inspires the world, and returns from the dead to save that world, only to destroy it because of the death of Lois, then fine, make it centered around him. But Darkseid is a joke, and Steppenwolf is even worse with only brute strength turning in his favor. Granted, Steppenwolf here is better than Whedon's version, this one still falls flat as a villain.

Overall, I'd still give it a pass. 6.5/10 maybe. I appreciate the spectacle of it, but as a movie about character building or story, it falls flat.

That?s my thing to. Darksied got his ass kicked when he went to earth . In the whedon cut steppenwolf was being carried away still fighting and not wanting to leave

There are some positives for me though... I still love Gal Gadot as Diana. Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons were also stellar in their roles. This movie has my favorite Batman and Alfred dynamic.

I still wish that Batman here was more focused with what he needed to do. This Batman put things up to "faith". I wanted a Batman with a plan....

I thought it was OK. Did not need to be 4 hours. Cut out all the cyborg stuff and I think you have a much more solid film. He just was not likable or relatable in any way IMO.

Loved the final Dream. "That's not being very careful" and "I will ****ing Kill you"... Best Batman lines in the movies ever :)

Jared Leto's Joker is better than Joaquin Phoenix joker :chase

This was better than the JW version but man... That ****ing Cyborg

I thought it was OK. Did not need to be 4 hours. Cut out all the cyborg stuff and I think you have a much more solid film. He just was not likable or relatable in any way IMO.

Loved the final Dream. "That's not being very careful" and "I will ****ing Kill you"... Best Batman lines in the movies ever :)

I would go the following:

BvS 3/10 (Extended cut 4/10)
JL 4/10 (Snyder cut 5/10)

This movie has a lot of bloat, a ton of exposition, even more slow motion. I think part of this is doing justice league before you set-up other characters as well. Def has aspects of the worst worst MCU movies.

But would I consider it an improvement to Whedon's? Yes, though Whedon did improve a few things, but he was also hamstrung with a crazy 2 hour timelimit.

Well, if you've ever read any of my posts in most movie threads, you know I'm a grumpy old man that despises everything.

But this.....this I liked.

I was one of the few that loved BvS in the theater and this was essentially four more hours of BvS.

I like Snyder's style. I liked 300. I liked Watchmen. I liked parts of Man of Steel. And I really liked BvS.

I don't know if he was a comics reader in the grimdark early 90s DC days, but I was, and his movies are like watching those pages come to life. People are so hung up on comparing Marvel to DC, but they're two different things. Just let them be different. Why is different bad?

What I liked right from the beginning here was that Steppenwolf actually had a character this time. Sure it was paper thin, but at least he had some kind of personality and motivation. In the Whedon cut there was NOTHING. He was an NPC. Here when we see actual emotion on his CGI face for a second, it was like Gollum back in LOTR. All the dude wants is to go home. I actually felt bad for him. And I LIKED his crazy spiky armor in this.

Another character that clearly got done dirty was Cyborg. He was a complete non-entity in the Whedon cut. May as well not have even been in it. Here, it's almost like this is HIS movie. His powers are the key to everything, and he also has an actual character arc. Again, it's not Dostoevsky or anything, but at least it's something.

One thing I loathed about the Whedon cut was Ezra Miller. He's still a complete autistic spaz in this version too, but it's not nearly as irritating. He even gets a little callback to Barry Allen's infamous "Crisis on Infinite Earths" scene.

My favorite scene in the movie was Barry saving Iris. I loved the slo-mo, loved the music, loved the execution and pacing.

Snyder has a style. If that's not your thing, fine. Just don't watch it. But just cause you don't like it doesn't mean there aren't people out here that genuinely enjoy it.

For the record, if we're doing the Marvel/DC pissing contest, I loved Infinity War and hated End Game. Hated it. Watched it twice, it still sucked. Time travel is cheap and lazy. But whatever, for some people that's their thing. For me, this was definitely more my thing.

I love Gal Gadot. She's so freaking hot it's crazy. And she's somehow really warm and human and feminine. She's the anti-Brie Larson. Her Wonder Woman is the only incarnation of that character I've ever enjoyed. I've always found her a complete bore in the comics.

Not everything was great, of course. I thought the LOTR style prologue was kind of laughable. I never felt any stakes in the fake CGI worlds of Atlantis or Amazonia.

Martian Manhunter? OK. Kind of a lame final scene, but whatever.

I also really liked Leto's brief cameo here. I've liked Leto in pretty much everything he's done so I always thought it was unfair he never really had a chance to show his Joker. This was probably the closest he'll get, and I also thought he was better and more true to the character than Phoenix's Joker.

TL;DR: Snyder Cut is good stuff. Thumbs up.

Well I freaking loved it. All of it. Loved the action, loved the drama, loved living in this world for four hours getting to know these characters and what motivated them before having such satisfying pay-offs for each and every one. I loved how they each played such an important part in the end. Damn they nailed the pay-offs for Cyborg and his dad and Flash and his dad in particular. And even with Zack being "dark" and "hardcore" hell I found it to actually be quite uplifting in the end.

I just could not bring myself to care about anything related to Cyborg in this film.. I think I liked him more in the JW version.

What the hell was WB thinking butchering this film and cancelling the follow-up. Totally nuts.

4 Hours is too long... Then again if you cut it down to two I really dont think it would have been much better than the JW version.. So there is that.. There is probably a perfect 3 hour version waiting to be released :)

But for some reason I'm actually okay not seeing what comes next. I don't know, maybe it's because I've had my fill of alien invasion superhero movies. I feel like this film delivered everything I'd want to see in this universe. I'm so happy for Zack that he got to complete his swan song after all the that he went through battling the studio and suffering his daughter's tragedy.

I want the next film.... But skip over all that alien invasion stuff and go right to the Alien Occupation stuff that we see at the end. Far and away the best part of the movie.

I look forward to revisiting this again and again.

Ah man not me... I will watch again for sure. But I kept thinking back to the Extended cut of Return of the King and just how much better paced that film was. Its 4 hours also and does feel like a long movie but its way better paced... JL felt like 5 or 6 hours.

(PS....I've never read anything by Dostoevsky....I just wanted to sound smart.)

After waking up and giving it some more thought, I realize how easy it would be to make a good superhero comic book film. I mean some of y?all love a movie that had music selections picked by a 10 year old, awful CGI, corny and cheesy shots, downright dumb plot events, and hilariously praised character development that lasted up to two minutes for each, which was a very generic and boring daddy issues for each... I?m convinced many of men and women could make a far better film.

You mean you didn’t like Gollum Cyborg who creaked every time he moved?

What about his iconic line? “you should probably move.” The delivery. The emotion. Truly captivating performance only an artistic icon like Snyder could deliver us!

How about the CGI of his body?

Better yet, what about that scrawny gangly twig like body for a comic character who is supposed to be pretty big?

This movie is so trash man.

awful CGI, corny and cheesy shots, downright dumb plot events, and hilariously praised character development that lasted up to two minutes for each, which was a very generic ... I?m convinced many of men and women could make a far better film.

So these elements in the all the prequels are fine but not in this film?

Not a defender of this film by any means but from a Prequel lover they are rather amusing complaints to have.

Just finished it and honestly, I'm convinced people going out of their way to dislike the film have no joy at all, certainly not joy towards these characters. You might not like the characterisation, but to get such epic scenes how we got in this cut and not even be excited by any of them?[...]

I think that's a little unfair. Some people love these characters so when they see them in a poorly executed film it's very disappointing, both in terms of the film and for the prospect of future properties including these beloved icons.

I didn't hate the Snyder Cut (I've said elsewhere I give it around a C+) but I don't think it was a good film, outside of some disconnected high points and generally feeling like a comic book.

I respect the ambition but it fell short.

I think that's a little unfair. Some people love these characters so when they see them in a poorly executed film it's very disappointing, both in terms of the film and for the prospect of future properties including these beloved icons.

I didn't hate the Snyder Cut (I've said elsewhere I give it around a C+) but I don't think it was a good film, outside of some disconnected high points and generally feeling like a comic book.

I respect the ambition but it fell short.

It?s very unfair. People have a right to dislike this take on the characters. Not every DC fan has to be a hardcore Snyder fan and you don?t have to blindly follow his films. Just like some marvel fans don?t like the mcu or take on the characters. I?m a hardcore Spider-Man fan and I?m not fond of what the mcu did to him and his cast of characters

I liked Jared?s joker in this. He acted more like the joker and wasn?t cringe at all. I still like pheonix joker but Snyder leto joker is now good to me.

No silly tats or stupid grills or pinkish white skin.

But I guess that jesus pic they released weeks back didn?t mean anything

I just could not bring myself to care about anything related to Cyborg in this film.. I think I liked him more in the JW version.

Yeah I didn't care for Cyborg at all in the JW version (same with Flash) but ended up really liking both in this one. I was actually surprised at how much humor there *was* in this film AND that it was actually funny. How ironic that they brought Joss in to lighten the mood and he actually made it less humorous as a result. I really couldn't help but wonder if he wasn't secretly just trying to sabotage the whole thing in order to prop up his Avengers films. Because while I wouldn't put this film on the level of IW I *do* think I prefer it to both Avengers and AOU. I know, shots fired, lol. :chase

4 Hours is too long... Then again if you cut it down to two I really dont think it would have been much better than the JW version.. So there is that.. There is probably a perfect 3 hour version waiting to be released :)

I really didn't mind the four hours. Maybe in part because I just came off of binging WandaVision. I also didn't watch ZSJL in one sitting. I watched parts 1 and 2 the previous night and then the other four parts sporadically throughout the day yesterday. Obviously they would have had to cut at least an hour in order to give it a theatrical release but this mega 4 hour version is absolutely my preferred viewing experience of this film. Funnily enough right now it actually isn't really making me want to go back and watch MoS, WW, or BvS. This movie really does have it all for me and makes everything else in this universe superfluous.

Ah man not me... I will watch again for sure. But I kept thinking back to the Extended cut of Return of the King and just how much better paced that film was. Its 4 hours also and does feel like a long movie but its way better paced... JL felt like 5 or 6 hours.

Regardless of how long ZSJL felt all I know is that when it was nearing it's end I felt kind of bummed because I didn't *want* it to end! I was loving this prolonged journey. Zack finally hit his stride right at the end IMO.

I liked Jared?s joker in this. He acted more like the joker and wasn?t cringe at all. I still like pheonix joker but Snyder leto joker is now good to me.

No silly tats or stupid grills or pinkish white skin.

But I guess that jesus pic they released weeks back didn?t mean anything

Yes I was happy to see the tattoos gone.

So these elements in the all the prequels are fine but not in this film?

Not a defender of this film by any means but from a Prequel lover they are rather amusing complaints to have.

I'm not being an idiot praising the PT as a grand epic and 9/10 movie that rivals Empire Strikes Back. Snyder fanboys are calling this movie a grand epic, 9/10, and it rivals The Dark Knight. Among other laughable comments. It's ok to like bad movies.

Pretty bad logic by you that I can't criticize one film because I like another.

Back