YouTube and Google gaming fiasco

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You so your taking legal advice from YouTube even though they tell you not to?

I get it you think your in the right, but clearly it's not definite or google would not be taking the steps they are.

We actually have someone who does our legal jazz and he's confirmed it with YouTube that that is what's allowed.

Point is, this system is new and incomplete. They are doing manual reviews of videos because of it. They either need to perfect it, or go back to the way things used to be. A lot of things are just wrong.

I had a video up, without the music. I completely turned music off. Yet I still got a copyright claim from the company that manages the composer for the music in that game. It recognized "oh, this is THAT cutscene (which I didn't show fully) and it has this music over it" without it actually checking if it had my voiceover or not. I'm fine with them being strict with copyright in ways. It's needed. But this is a bit too much.

Sorry if I seemed rude or anything, I'm just really annoyed by this whole situation. :lol It's a worrying time when you hear you could lose more than half your income.

Maybe but today's society is very much look at me one so I think the sharing would have taken off without it.

For sure, but it would be a lot uglier and crappier version of what it is today. You get what you pay for.

Didn't it say you can still have the video just no revenue will be generated for the poster? So it doesn't effect the share system.

My point is that sharing videos is encouraged by the systems. So much so that they put a share feature on the controller and use that as a selling feature in the ads. It is part of the gaming culture. Google attacking the gaming eco-system in any way seems short-sighted. If Google actually wants to take away the fiscal incentivizing of this culture and take on the reaction of everyone concerned including the Microsoft and Sony who need people to buy their new systems, then that seems massively aggressive.

Adam Sessler of Rev3 Games had a discussion about this, many of his guests brought up very good points.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1ubSVMwaw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1ubSVMwaw[/ame]

My point is that sharing videos is encouraged by the systems. So much so that they put a share feature on the controller and use that as a selling feature in the ads. It is part of the gaming culture. Google attacking the gaming eco-system in any way seems short-sighted. If Google actually wants to take away the fiscal incentivizing of this culture and take on the reaction of everyone concerned including the Microsoft and Sony who need people to buy their new systems, then that seems massively aggressive.

Fancy meeting you here at this corner of the boards Brent! :duff

This is a situation where people just need to find somewhere else to go. Youtube was great but all things come to an end. Hopefully Twitch can pick up the slack but most people don't realize the company is as small as it is. :(

Youtube's a monopoly. There's no site like it, the other upload platforms barely get used or have our target audience. Personally I'm looking into self-hosting, but the question will always be, are viewers loyal enough to follow a Youtuber to their own site, watch and click on ads there, and keep coming back? I'm feeling a lot people will need a giant leap up in quality. It's easy to go on Youtube and watch ten different people who all play the same stuff because it's all in one list, no need to open another tab, but usually people will only want to go to one website, not ten. Until Twitch has an upload feature instead of only the past broadcast one, there's no alternative worth mentioning.

You know you guys can argue all you want but bottom line is that Youtube can do whatever they want. Yes there is fair use, and yes this sucks. but Google doesn't HAVE to let you put your video up even if it is completely accetapble to the law.

It is not a public, federal, or state service. They can take down/delete/truncate/whatever videos at will. Are they being a bit too nazi? Probably. Can they be? Yup.

That's actually not what we're arguing about, it's about what exactly they're deleting. YouTube is a 3rd man in this case. The developer or copyright owner says what's allowed to be uploaded. We usually get emails about that with our keys. It says "you can put up this cutscene but not that one" and so on. The devs also forward this to Google/Youtube which enters it in a database. But infact, Youtube's new policy makes it so that it gets a claim whether or not it was allowed by the copyright owner. In the end, it's the copyright owner who decides what should be deleted as they hold the rights. Uploading it to Youtube doesn't actually make it their property. The problem is that it isn't actually screening the correct stuff, but entire games or audio.

I was once requested by a band to make a music video for one of their songs, I did that and a year after I uploaded it I got a copyright notice! WTF? :lol

Personally I got a copyright claim from a vegetable distribution business. I don't know what the hell they were trying to claim as theirs but it got disputed without any issue.

That's actually not what we're arguing about, it's about what exactly they're deleting. YouTube is a 3rd man in this case. The developer or copyright owner says what's allowed to be uploaded. We usually get emails about that with our keys. It says "you can put up this cutscene but not that one" and so on. The devs also forward this to Google/Youtube which enters it in a database. But infact, Youtube's new policy makes it so that it gets a claim whether or not it was allowed by the copyright owner. In the end, it's the copyright owner who decides what should be deleted as they hold the rights. Uploading it to Youtube doesn't actually make it their property. The problem is that it isn't actually screening the correct stuff, but entire games or audio.

Yeah but are they actually doing this for just games? I imagine it's for everything (I haven't read up). If so and they're getting pressure (for non-gaming related stuff) it's just easier to do it for all videos.

So far it's been mainly affecting gamers because I'd say we're closest on the line of copyright. Music and stuff has ways around it, such as changes in pitch. Still can't believe that works. It does not affect vloggers. Movies and series seem to get around it by zooming in, cropping, flipping horizontally, ..

The main problem is, the line is if it's transformative work or not. We make it our own experience, our own emotion and opinion. Someone who posts episodes of television series does nothing to add to it. They do straight copies, that's who should get flagged up the arse.

Don't get me wrong I 100% agree with you, it blows. But it may not be 100% google's choice. It could be that thy are being pressured into it and it may just be too much effort (and hence cost) to do it a less messy way. Or maybe it's just cause they feel like it, and it really sucks that people would have to go to another service (cause twitch vods SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK compared to youtube) but thems the breaks... can just kick and scream and see if it gets better. But legally they are allowed to remove your videos whether your videos are legal or not :(

I can totally see Google's point in this, of course. Copyright is a good thing. But they shouldn't have just thrown it into our laps unfinished like this. It's a giant kick in the *****. They're now going to manually check videos so it can take a few days for a video to appear. Sucks for people who have set dates for series. Youtube and Google are known for just doing things without informing people who are under legal contract with them to upload this content aswell as every user. I'm fine with updates to the layout, policies, rules, company, whatever. I just wish they would properly test things or at least inform people ahead of time so we could've adjusted our content properly.

The companies who give out the claims can't actually be blamed since they're not doing it, they don't hand it out. This is just what Youtube thinks might be copyright infringement. What the devs want gone are videos copied from their own channels and spoilers. People who post full playthroughs are fine with spoilers because by the time the last video is released, the game's been out for a while. It's those people who post the final cutscenes day 1 or in many cases before the game is out. Best way to make this kind of content is to only post things from the first hour or two and then say "go buy it and play yourself".

I just got a claim on a 3 year old video from a magazine publishing company.

It will be a loss of reviews and material (unless they do it for free) but really I don't see how this will affect much or change much. Sure they'll be less of the entertaining reviews and such but they'll still be some out there. it's just a form of entertainment...we're either going to buy the games or not and there are many other avenues of reviews to read/watch.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJUKoIgVHCo[/ame]

Too long, didn't watch:

Valve allows use but YouTube's idiotic robot sees "Ooh Valve made Portal 2 and this lad made a video on it so "AUTOMATIC COPYRIGHT BREAKAGE CODE RED TAKE ALL HIS MONIEZ".

valve_zps5953ce30.png

valve2_zpsae960b81.png

Back