Your latest DVD or Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Khev in 2011 at bluray conference in Geneva): I'll never upgrade past 1080p bluray...

(Khev in 1999 at DVD conference in Boulder, CO): I'll never upgrade past DVD. It's perfect.

(Khev in 1987 at VHS conference in San Franciso): I'll never upgrade past VHS, even if Beta is better.

What I watch at home finally replicates the theatrical experience with regard to PQ, even with regard to the local Dolby Laser and 15/70 IMAX auditoriums (and if it doesn't then my aging eyes simply don't know any better) so I see no need to ever upgrade as long as home media remains 2D.

True but I still firmly believe in a like minded theatrical audience experience as being something truly worth preserving.

But for home to properly replicate a theatrical screen unfortunately the 4K tv screen can?t be smaller than 80 inches preferably 85 - 110 with a sitting distance no more than 10 feet away.

Ok maybe 12 feet if 100 inches lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
True but I still firmly believe in a like minded theatrical audience experience as being something truly worth preserving.

But for home to properly replicate a theatrical screen unfortunately the 4K tv screen can?t be smaller than 80 inches preferably 85 - 110 with a sitting distance no more than 10 feet away.

Ok maybe 12 feet if 100 jnches lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naw a 77 inch Oled works just fine, it really depends on how big the room is in terms of square footage. Most dedicated theatre rooms are not as big as living rooms, so anything in 77 inch range works more than fine. I would never put a 77 inch tv in a huge open space living/family room anyway, since its not an environment for optimal viewing or atmos sound, moreover most living rooms get a lot of direct sunlight and are very large. Sure there are some rich people with mansions that have huge home theater rooms, but for the average joe that makes a decent wage and doesn't have a 7k square foot house the theater room is usually not very big. Anything bigger then 77 inches in these situations (eg normal people not millionaires with mansions) would just be overkill and cause them to go way beyond their affordable price range for a massive TV that is actually too big for the area its being stuffed in. If you go to big for the room, you will have keep turingin your head to see the whole screen, that is not optimal viewing it sounds like a pain in the ass if anyting and definitely not worth the additional 5k for the extra 9 inches of viewing.

Not a new purchase but I watched Terminator 2 in 3D the other night and it blew me away. It looks fricking phenomenal in 3D.

I just bought Clockwork Orange on bluray from amazon japan....but the main reason I got it was cause it's part of the "Warner Large Jacket Collection."

As far as I can tell, a handful of movies have been released on bluray here in Japan in big LP/Laserdisc sized jackets. Personally, I just thought it was cool, and it was only about $10 so I figured, why not?

I might get "2001" too, but that one is $25.

I'm guessing the format wasn't a hit, cause very few of them were released this way. (Gone With the Wind, 2001, Clockwork Orange, Enter the Dragon, Dirty Harry, Fellowship of the Rings, and Mad Max Fury Road.)

Hmmm.....should I get "Gone with the Wind" just cause it's gonna go down the memory hole soon? Nah...I think it's boring as hell.

https://warnerbros.co.jp/c/news/2018/10/1811.html

What do you guys think of this packaging? Cool or "meh"?

Very cool packaging. It's nice to see a studio using the original artwork instead of some photo shopped abortion. If they did this for Alien I'd be all over it in an instance.

So I just got my "LP Jacket" Japanese edition of A Clockwork Orange. Gotta say....it's really really cool. You pull out this round piece of black cardboard the size of an LP and the bluray is mounted on it.

This thing serves NO practical purpose. It's like bringing back all the inconvenience of laserdiscs, but with the picture and sound of a bluray. Well, it's nowhere near as heavy as a laserdisc of course.

But there's no denying the nostalgic rush of pulling a "record" out of the sleeve like that. And the artwork is so BIG and bold. I'm definitely buying "2001" to go with this.

Completely impractical but still nostalgic as hell....thumbs up. Too bad nobody seemed to be into the concept and it died quickly.

So after a simple $10 purchase of Clockwork Orange, I decided I NEEDED to get 2001 in the same LP Jacket packaging. But then I thought...well.....if I get that, I really need the MAFEX figure to go with it, don't I? So now a few days later, I've spent almost a hundred bucks on a whim.

Collectors are sick man. We are just WRONG in the head.

Still.....I think it looks cool as hell, and it's not just a pretty picture....the blurays are in there!!

kubrick.jpg

The columbia classics 4k limited set is a killer set for any movie collector or movie buff. I highly recommend it, the quality for the price was shocking. It completely blows away the packaging of the skywalker saga, disney should take note. Each disk comes in their own case with slip, and the book is high quality coffee table material stuff. The transfers themselves are fantastic. I cannot wait for volume 2 especially if the quality stays the same.

Zaavi 4k Revenge of the Sith Steelbook gone already. Its the best looking cover of the pt triology so im not surpised it sold out faster then the other pt steels. Im only buying jedi and sith, i would have bought new hope but missed it i hate empire cover So past on that, ill own 2 of them until best buy releases their own steels. Maybe rogue one is next if so ill buy that too as long as i dont miss the small window before it sells out

Zaavi 4k Revenge of the Sith Steelbook gone already. Its the best looking cover of the pt triology so im not surpised it sold out faster then the other pt steels. Im only buying jedi and sith, i would have bought new hope but missed it i hate empire cover So past on that, ill own 2 of them until best buy releases their own steels. Maybe rogue one is next if so ill buy that too as long as i dont miss the small window before it sells out
Is it a sure thing that Best Buy will be releasing Star Wars Steelbooks?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back