Yoda Bust is Coming!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think if they made the choice not to for Jabba so he'd last longer, whatever they've done for Yoda wouldn't jeopardize that investment, especially when it's 6 times Jabba's cost. I have faith they wouldn't do anything to hurt the lifespan of the piece, but whatever they've done would certainly account for the delay in getting him shipped, and may even be tied to the resculpt.

Yeah, I agree, I was thinking more along the lines of whether there is anything extra that we can or should do to take care of it and preserve it.

I imagine there wouldn't be much along the lines of special instructions, at most mayb else like polystone and not using water, but if they use it for production and requires added steps to give it longer life, then it was foolish to use it for production I would think.

Agent0028 said:
Let us know what they say Maulfan. I cringe at the idea of this not lasting for a verrrry long time...

Yeah, let us know...I cringe at the idea too!

I am very curious too MaulFan - let us know as soon as you hear something. I hope Sideshow didnt drop the ball on this one too as I am really looking forward to this bust.

Okay, I didn't have time to do much with pics today, but I did snap a few. I tried different focal lengths and angles, because I know that the thing that has bothered me about other photos is the face. All of these pictures are taken with the same camera and in the same lighting...all I changed was the angle and how much zoom I was using (focal length). You'll see in some of them, the face looks distorted and on others it looks much better. In particular, there's one photo that almost looks like the Episode I "fat Yoda". Rest assured that's an artifact of the camera, as you'll see other shots are much more in proportion. In person, I think it looks quite good, though mine had a small bit of damage from the styrofoam where the inner wrapping was displaced, so I'll need to get it replaced (not a huge deal for me, since I'm tearing down and rebuilding my display room anyway, so I didn't actually have a place to put it).

Yoda Pics

WOOHOO!!!!! Just looked at my tracking page for kicks, he's coming a day early....Can't wait to shoot this bad boy today, hopefully, depends on what time in the day the FedEx guy comes, if it's after my lunch break, I'll have to photograph him tomorrow, but at least today he'll be sitting on my desk guiding me with the force :)

After seeing some pics of this guy something looks off to me. I hope those that got him think he looks great in person.

KitFisto said:
After seeing some pics of this guy something looks off to me. I hope those that got him think he looks great in person.

As I mentioned above, I think he looks good in person. The bust is a tough one to get a good photo of, and the focal length on the camera makes a big enough difference while being subtle enough that you might not realize you're looking at a lens distorition.

For example, I think this picture looks very fat, kind of like the Episode I puppet. On the other hand, this shot, taken with a different focal length and angle, shows the dimensions are much more like ESB.

My UPS guy beat me home so I didn't get Yoda today. :monkey2 And I won't be at home any tomorrow, and on Friday its another race against time. Hopefully I can go pick him up this evening...otherwise I'll have to wait until next Monday or Tuesday. :crying

He looks freakin AWESOME!!!!! I seriuosly cant wait for this!! WHY OH WHY DID THERE HAVE TO BE A SPLIT SHIPMENT!!! :monkey2:crying:monkey2

I hope you can photograph him today MaulFan!

seanmh said:
He looks freakin AWESOME!!!!! I seriuosly cant wait for this!! WHY OH WHY DID THERE HAVE TO BE A SPLIT SHIPMENT!!! :monkey2:crying:monkey2

I hope you can photograph him today MaulFan!

Sorry, :( FedEx came after my lunch break. I can say this though, he deffinately is made with some sort of latex like material, and I've already initiated contact with SSC to figure out what it is and should we be concerned about the lifespan of this piece being made with this material. As for the quality, very very nice piece. I'll have to see what I'm able to do when I take some photos, but as I expected and stated before, flash really kills this piece, I have him in a room here at work where he's about 50% in light 50% in shadow and it really captures the contours and shape of his head very well and it really is ESB Yoda, I come back to my desk and I hear his voice in my head "...try not...do, or do not....there is no try..." I love it, unless the response I get about the production materials causes me concern, I won't be letting this piece go. As for the eyes, are they detailed and stellar like the proto, not at all, but they look good and realistic nonetheless. It's all a matter of lighting. If you have bright light on his face, they probably may not look so good, I'll photograph him in the lighting I have him in now tomorrow so you can see how nice they look in this lighting. Deffinately a great addition to the collection, I still love Maul more cuz he's my boy, but if I had to pick an alien bust that was a must for a Star Wars collection, I'd rank this as the #1 must have, just very iconic and well pieced together. His clothes are very well tailored and a real nice material. At least for me, an added bonus was how lil work he required out of the box, his sleeves were tucked under his arms, I pulled him out and he looks good, might futz the collar a little bit, but it isn't necessarily, Maul took a lil construction work with the style his hood was done in. I think those waiting on shipment 2 will be pleased with their wait and purchase, hold out guys, don't cancel out, he's worth it and worth not fighting and gambling on picking one up on secondary market down the road.

MaulFan said:
but as I expected and stated before, flash really kills this piece

Agreed. It's a nice overcast day here, so when I get home from work I'm going to see what I can get outside with some diffuse lighting. Much like Maul and Greedo, the flash flattens all the subtle details. The difference is that Maul still has the tattoo pattern and Greedo still has all the bumps and spines, while Yoda is more or less make-or-break on the subtleties.

The outdoor light won't totally help this, but it should at least get the color conveyed right. Flash also flattens that out, and one of the things I'm delighted by is all the subtle shading they've put into Yoda's skin.

MaulFan said:
I have him in a room here at work where he's about 50% in light 50% in shadow and it really captures the contours and shape of his head very well and it really is ESB Yoda

I'm going to see if I can get something with more severe shadows, but I have a lousy camera, so I can't promise anybody anything.

MaulFan said:
As for the eyes, are they detailed and stellar like the proto, not at all, but they look good and realistic nonetheless. It's all a matter of lighting. If you have bright light on his face, they probably may not look so good

He's very much like the Maul bust in this regard. The Maul prototype eyes were also much better than the production piece, but had I never seen the prototype, it's not like the production eyes would have made me say "wow, those are lousy...I wonder if the prototype looked better". In fact, I didn't even notice the (significant) difference in Maul's eyes until someone asked me for a closeup shot.

Also, like Maul, there's quite a bit of foldy eyelid detail around Yoda's eyes, and with the right lighting hitting this, it adds a depth to the eyes that you simply won't see in a flat over-flashed photo.

MaulFan said:
I'll photograph him in the lighting I have him in now tomorrow so you can see how nice they look in this lighting.

I look forward to it!

MaulFan said:
His clothes are very well tailored and a real nice material.

This is under-reported. The clothing is really *very* nice. The clothes are not remotely an afterthought here...they are as much a star of the show as the Green One himself.

Everything sounds great so far!! a $600 deduction from my credit card couldnt come sooner!!

My only concern is the material used - im a little worried, but Im sure sideshow did the right thing - I know that they are all about providing collectibles that last forever so Im sure we should be ok - after all, the company slogan is "Collect for Life"

I've finally managed to get mine! He looks great, if I had any nitpick at all it would be on the ear hair, I just don't remember Yoda having ear hair like that, and the missing hand. I don't know how much more it would have cost, but I would have paid at least an extra 50 bucks for him to have his other hand and a little of his cane. But it looks awesome even without it! No time for pics, yet, maybe sometime over the weekend.

All you guys that have Yoda already make me jealous.

I've to wait until May.

end of May? beginning of May? I dont know

What is going on with the Yoda Bust - I find it wierd that nobody is talking about it.......Am I the only one who feels like the buzz and excitement of this piece is lacking?? Or is it just that nobody has recieved theirs yet. :confused:

So far it seems that only a handful of people on here have gotten their yoda bust - or maybe nobody on here ordered it.......

Maybe it is still too early to tell because of the split shipment going on. I was under the immpression though that half of the orders would go out in March/April and the other half in May.
I dont know, oh well - poor yoda:monkey2

I'm still waiting for mine....I even said I wasn't going to get it and then got it anyway and am really excited after seeing some of the first in-hand pics here!

seanmh said:
What is going on with the Yoda Bust - I find it wierd that nobody is talking about it.......Am I the only one who feels like the buzz and excitement of this piece is lacking?? Or is it just that nobody has recieved theirs yet. :confused:

So far it seems that only a handful of people on here have gotten their yoda bust - or maybe nobody on here ordered it.......

Maybe it is still too early to tell because of the split shipment going on. I was under the immpression though that half of the orders would go out in March/April and the other half in May.
I dont know, oh well - poor yoda:monkey2

I agree the buzz died quick, but the sense I get from the Yoda threads is that most people are in the secondary shipments, the ones posting here anyway, so those of us with ours already have pretty much said their peace.

Back