YanToys 1/6 Man of Steel - Zod (Black Suit Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like @MarkKing just came in here to start up stuff :lol

Let’s be honest though, all Terrance Stamp has that’s regularly quoted is “Kneel before Zod” :huh

I pretty much quote MoS as I watch it nearly every time.
Pretty much has MOS beat with 1 quote.

It does sound like I got off topic. It's about the toys, not the movie. Sometimes it's hard to keep really o topic as other discussions do come up as well as other ideas.. It's a natural thing by humans.

Zod just seems like such a waste for a 3rd party to make as it can still be found I think at decent prices. Maybe the silicone printed is the big get.

I see some real interesting stuff from YanToys. I always wonder how 3rd parties decide what to make?

Pretty much has MOS beat with 1 quote.
Everyone has their preferences and that’s ok, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Superman 2 is pretty boring to me and I find Terrance Stamp’s Zod boring as a stereotypical mustache twirling villain and hardly find him threatening. The Richard Donner cut is better than the theatrical for sure but still not up to the calibre of Superman 1.

Zod just seems like such a waste for a 3rd party to make as it can still be found I think at decent prices. Maybe the silicone printed is the big get.
It’s a different version of Zod though than what has been released. One that many ppl were trying to kitbash themselves at the time of release with what little we had. So, it’s not so strange of release and definitely not a waste for ppl who have been either wanting this version or, at the very least, wanting a neautral headsculpt to display on the HT figure as the gritted teeth expression it came with is too scene specific.

I get you don’t like MoS and that’s ok. But, that doesn’t make this release a waste. It’s only a waste to you b/c it’s not a figure you want :lol

The truth is, if the Terrance Stamp Zod was so popular, we’d have gotten more than the 12” Mattel figure by now. Even the HT Reeve Superman took a while to sell out at the time and was even purchasable at discount for a good while before selling out. Like most things, it was only after it finally sold out that it eventually skyrocketed in price. But at the time, anyone who wanted one could get it pretty easily.

Who knows, maybe Mars Toys will take a stab at Stamp’s Zod since they are in the business of making characters from older films and we’ll see how popular he really is at this scale.

Brando's performance in Superman is legendarily lazy. He brought name recognition/star power, but not much else. Anyway, HT's Zod is cool for the armored look, but the portrait they decided on is weird. And this suit is just so much more sleek. Kind of wish/hope that the cape is removable.

Brando's performance in Superman is legendarily lazy. He brought name recognition/star power, but not much else. Anyway, HT's Zod is cool for the armored look, but the portrait they decided on is weird. And this suit is just so much more sleek. Kind of wish/hope that the cape is removable.
I mean even phoning it in, his delivery was better than MOS. Partially the writing of Superman 1/2 was better.

You think the armor looked cool? I think it represents everything wrong with modern movies aesthetics. They are too busy. Marvel suffers from this as all their designs have unnecessary lines everywhere, it's a very distracting design lacks color and typically color.

Cavill was Superb as Supes upon my second viewing. He was very much hurt by bad writing as they didn't allow him to be Clark Kent. I loved Cavill in Man from Uncle.

The figure by YanToys I hope it sells well as they are doing wonderful things. I can see them doing other Superman characters down the line.

I always wasted an angry Chris Reeves head at the end of Superman 1.

Zach Snyder created some of the greatest comic book movie costumes of any franchise.
1694123971252.png

no way these bathrobe wearing mfs stand a chance in that department. Thats just straight nostalgia talking

I don't want to make this a big thing. I think you are getting over emotional.
Zach Snyder created some of the greatest comic book movie costumes of any franchise.
View attachment 661067
no way these bathrobe wearing mfs stand a chance in that department. Thats just straight nostalgia talking
I don't want to make this a big thing as you seem to be getting over emotional. THis is my last comment.

Simplistic designs work better than overly complex. Part of being a Superhero/Villain is having an extravagant costume. Hence modern audiences tire and tend not care about modern takes.

Toys, at least marvel legends, all that sells are classic looks. Hot Toys the same...it's not just nostalgia but understanding simplicity, good art and color theory. Hence classic suits sell the best for toys.

Some of the studies done on people. what they find is human beings tend to forget CGI backgrounds/objects, as compared to practical effects/physical things. Add to the Shakesparian acting, and you get a memorable character, movie, lines, and a movie that will stand the test of time.

I don't want to make this a big thing. I think you are getting over emotional.

I don't want to make this a big thing as you seem to be getting over emotional. THis is my last comment.

Simplistic designs work better than overly complex. Part of being a Superhero/Villain is having an extravagant costume. Hence modern audiences tire and tend not care about modern takes.

Toys, at least marvel legends, all that sells are classic looks. Hot Toys the same...it's not just nostalgia but understanding simplicity, good art and color theory. Hence classic suits sell the best for toys.

Some of the studies done on people. what they find is human beings tend to forget CGI backgrounds/objects, as compared to practical effects/physical things. Add to the Shakesparian acting, and you get a memorable character, movie, lines, and a movie that will stand the test of time.

Whos getting overly emotional? This is my first post on this thread lmao.

I have a deep love for the classic costumes of heroes from the golden age and pre 2000s, but its hard not to appreciate some of the beautiful costumes we've seen created in the modern era of movies and comics. To just dismiss any of that is ridiculous.

I have a really difficult time picturing anyone in their right might objectively saying Adam West's Batman suit is better than Ben Affleck's, It just wouldn't make sense other than that person likely just growing up with the source material. Not to say his suit isn't great, but its dated and goofy.

View attachment 661067
I absolutely love Superman 1 and 2. Love em. But, yeah, out of context, there's no denying how dated they are.

I absolutely love Superman 1 and 2. Love em. But, yeah, out of context, there's no denying how dated they are.
It's the wrong thread for this but Reeve's suit is better from an aesthetic point and Znyder will never be iconic because of the busy lines.

The word "dated" is catch all word. It's meaningless.

Why people love Batmans 89s design is the simplicity of Keaton's design.

Same points as above really.

Dated is a word that means outmoded or old-fashioned, usually with some marker referring to a specific era. It has a very specific meaning, and Superman 1 and 2 are very obviously from a specific era. I mean, the Kryptonians all look like they are ready to disco boogie, ya know. I don't think anyone would ever watch either of those 2 movies and not recognize the late 70's vibe. And that's ok. There is nothing wrong with a great movie being dated. Lots of them are.

I was born in 1990 so I have 0 nostalgia about Reeve's Superman movies. I respect him and that's it. I think he is great. I can understand that people have preferences, but saying 70s costumes are better than Snyder's is just funny for me.
Excited for this Zod figure, never was a fan of Hot Toys one because of the extreme sculpt. Is this one just an expensive custom or will be mass produced for peasants like me?

It’ll be mass produced and available to order at the usual places like OSK, Giantoy, etc.
Thank you! Definitely gonna order then! Always wanted to have one! Michael Shannon is so talented and underrated!

Last edited:
I think MarkKing just likes the more comic accurate / campy versions of super heroes. I can appreciate the extravagance of the Superman 2 Kryptonian costumes, but they definitely don't look menacing or imposing. They sure would look cool on a shelf though.

I'd be so down for a Faora.

I always wanted a more serious Zod sculpt. Not sure if this is good enough. I don't even want the rest.

It's the wrong thread for this but Reeve's suit is better from an aesthetic point and Znyder will never be iconic because of the busy lines.

The word "dated" is catch all word. It's meaningless.

‘Better’ and ‘an aesthetic point of view’ are subjective terms, making them far more meaningless than ‘dated,’ which has a specific and verifiable meaning- as defined in a post above.

It’s all just preference with no right answers.

Would be great if YanToys went down the MoS rabbit hole and made a quality looking Faora. The custom and the 3rd party ones left a lot to be desired
Surprised they didn't try someone not yet made. Very curious.

I am down for their Shaun and Ed....hoping they work on Ed's human sculpt more but weird.

I always wonder how these companies decide who to make? So many unmade figures that might sell better and no one is really clamoring for another zod...and he's easily available.

Back