XM Studios Magneto

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why suddenly hate for Doom PF :panic: I think he is still one of SS finest, and he was the first SS. Marvel created, that is Rookie card if in baseball card :)

Because of this magneto, I want Doom PF now. Can you imagine displaying both next to each other?

I just need a regular, if anyone selling with a good price, please let me know :)

Why suddenly hate for Doom PF :panic: :)

Sounds like folks that missed out or sold Doom in the past attempting to downplay him in order to convince Doom owners to trade Magneto for him.

The original Hulk and Doom PF's are two grails that most collectors with the means seek out once in this hobby in order to complete their collection. Their prices on eBay reflect that fact.

Magneto may be included in that group one day. The market will determine that not hype.

As far as the Magneto sculpt goes it is topnotch brilliant. However future collectors not currently in the hobby must seek him out in order for his "mystique" and value to consistently reach Doom's. If that happens Magneto's value may easily surpass Dooms with his overall lower ES (Many are fine having a Doom w/o the chalice) .

Sounds like folks that missed out or sold Doom in the past attempting to downplay him in order to convince Doom owners to trade Magneto for him.

The original Hulk and Doom PF's are two grails that most collectors with the means seek out once in this hobby in order to complete their collection. Their prices on eBay reflect that fact.

Magneto may be included in that group one day. The market will determine that not hype.

As far as the Magneto sculpt goes it is topnotch brilliant. However future collectors not currently in the hobby must seek him out in order for his "mystique" and value to consistently reach Doom's. If that happens Magneto's value may easily surpass Dooms with his overall lower ES (Many are fine having a Doom w/o the chalice) .

I don't subscribe to this conspiracy theory that folks are actively trying to downplay Doom in order to convince Doom owners to engage in a trade for Magneto. IMHO all we have here is a bunch of speculative talk about what folks may or may not do if this particular trade opportunity presented itself.

In regards to your comment that Magneto may be a grail one day, but the market will determine that...not hype. I think one could easily argue that hype drives the market. One of the reasons that Hulk and Doom PFs continue to demand such high prices on e-bay is because of the hype surrounding their "grail" status. Companies like SS and XM routinely provide WIP pictures of upcoming projects...why? They are trying to create hype which will positively impact the market demand for their product. My point is I'm not sure you can really separate market & hype...they appear to be interconnected with one another.

I do believe that Magneto has a chance to equal or surpass the "mystique" created by Doom. Magneto is being released in an environment where the release date is currently being discussed on multiple collectors forums, multiple statue and toy websites, not to mention numerous discussions occurring via social media outlets. Doom was released in a different time...there were not as many forums, websites, or social media channels to discuss the pending release date. Combine all that with a killer sculpt, a marvel character as popular as Doom, a lower ES, and the fact the pre-order caught many of us by surprise...and the value of this statue could indeed surpass Hulk or Doom.

Well said. I also believe the latest movies with the focus on Magneto as a main character ( choice of actor as well) drive towards his increasing popularity.

I've never fully understood why Doom was such a popular character. Then again I've also never really been a fan of the Fantastic Four. I'm glad those comics gave us Silver Surfer, Galactus and many other great characters, but Doom and the 4 never held much interest for me.

I don't subscribe to this conspiracy theory that folks are actively trying to downplay Doom in order to convince Doom owners to engage in a trade for Magneto. IMHO all we have here is a bunch of speculative talk about what folks may or may not do if this particular trade opportunity presented itself.

In regards to your comment that Magneto may be a grail one day, but the market will determine that...not hype. I think one could easily argue that hype drives the market. One of the reasons that Hulk and Doom PFs continue to demand such high prices on e-bay is because of the hype surrounding their "grail" status. Companies like SS and XM routinely provide WIP pictures of upcoming projects...why? They are trying to create hype which will positively impact the market demand for their product. My point is I'm not sure you can really separate market & hype...they appear to be interconnected with one another.

I do believe that Magneto has a chance to equal or surpass the "mystique" created by Doom. Magneto is being released in an environment where the release date is currently being discussed on multiple collectors forums, multiple statue and toy websites, not to mention numerous discussions occurring via social media outlets. Doom was released in a different time...there were not as many forums, websites, or social media channels to discuss the pending release date. Combine all that with a killer sculpt, a marvel character as popular as Doom, a lower ES, and the fact the pre-order caught many of us by surprise...and the value of this statue could indeed surpass Hulk or Doom.

Insightful, thoughtful, & stated with clarity, well done sir, & bravo!:clap

Hype, whether good or bad, is the engine that drives most industries in our mass media, tech interconnected world. To believe otherwise would be naive at best. Hoping SS pays heed, enabling them to address some of the negative hype they continue to garner, & finally fix the legitimate gripes collectors have been voicing for oh so very long now.

I've never fully understood why Doom was such a popular character. Then again I've also never really been a fan of the Fantastic Four. I'm glad those comics gave us Silver Surfer, Galactus and many other great characters, but Doom and the 4 never held much interest for me.

Agreed.

Hype, whether good or bad, is the engine that drives most industries in our mass media, tech interconnected world. To believe otherwise would be naive at best. Hoping SS pays heed, enabling them to address some of the negative hype they continue to garner, & finally fix the legitimate gripes collectors have been voicing for oh so very long now.

SS is pretty damn active on social media. They don't use it in a "getting down to collector's level" way though, they use it to whip up fervor and excitement and keep people interested with their contests and such. They have gone a little overboard and a smart social media director will start to see they need to branch out their uses of their social media accounts.

SS is pretty damn active on social media. They don't use it in a "getting down to collector's level" way though, they use it to whip up fervor and excitement and keep people interested with their contests and such. They have gone a little overboard and a smart social media director will start to see they need to branch out their uses of their social media accounts.

I find that they use it to give away the crap they can't sell, lol!

"We got a big shipment coming in...try to give these away to clear some space!"

I find that they use it to give away the crap they can't sell, lol!

"We got a big shipment coming in...try to give these away to clear some space!"

For the most part they do, but they do give away new items or items still on preorder. Mainly they use it to generate activity using their key words, which improves their overall net presence.

I agree. SS better plug-in to reality instead of using old school bang the drum marketing strategies. May still work for newbies short term, but will eventually wear thin, as it seems to have with older, more experienced collectors.

The fact that the AB Hulk PF has held its value under the barrage of other Hulk statues, not only by SSC but other companies and customs, says a lot about that piece.

Well said. I also believe the latest movies with the focus on Magneto as a main character ( choice of actor as well) drive towards his increasing popularity.

Thanks guys

The fact that the AB Hulk PF has held its value under the barrage of other Hulk statues, not only by SSC but other companies and customs, says a lot about that piece.

I would agree with you....the intent of my post was not meant to disparage either the Hulk or Doom PFs.

Back