XM Studios Magneto

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never fully understood why Doom was such a popular character. Then again I've also never really been a fan of the Fantastic Four. I'm glad those comics gave us Silver Surfer, Galactus and many other great characters, but Doom and the 4 never held much interest for me.

Doom is an awesome character and the best Marvel villain along with Magneto. He (like Magneto) is not the usual monodimensional character, as 99% of the Marvel superheroes are, especially the most beloved ones. I suggest you to read the Books of Doom, Doom and Doom Emperor Returns, three short runs in which he is the main character.

I don't subscribe to this conspiracy theory that folks are actively trying to downplay Doom in order to convince Doom owners to engage in a trade for Magneto. IMHO all we have here is a bunch of speculative talk about what folks may or may not do if this particular trade opportunity presented itself.

I only mention that because the posts I've read downplaying Doom seem to come from folks that don't currently own Doom.

I haven't seen Doom owners posting in this thread actively seeking a Magneto in a straight trade.

If I didn't have Doom I certainly would trade a 1k statue for a 3k statue.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Magneto as he is brilliant and I've purchased him myself, I just don't get the lack of Doom love.

I only mention that because the posts I've read downplaying Doom seem to come from folks that don't currently own Doom.

I haven't seen Doom owners posting in this thread actively seeking a Magneto in a straight trade.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Magneto as he is brilliant and I've purchased him myself, I just don't get the lack of Doom love.

The reason why they don't have Doom maybe is because they don't like him like they said not downplaying....

The people said they would trade for him didn't downplay him. I said I like Mag more than Doom doesn't make me downplaying Doom just because I don't have it, or a motive for me to try to get him for cheap. I can afford him but I don't think he's worth what he's selling right now with new PF and LSF coming, and I honestly only want to get him as companion piece to Mag.

As for no Doom owners posting in this tread actively seeking a Magneto in a straight trade.. oh doh. They would try to buy it first or trade other stuff first, who would trade their price piece first.

1k statue for a 3k statue.. Can you get me a Mag if I give you 1k now? Please.

I just want to make it clear, I am not downplaying Doom. I think it's great statue. Just not worth the current price with another PF and LSF coming.

I have to be honest...I don't know if I would expect folks to be displaying an overflowing amount of love for Doom in a Magneto thread. IMHO, that doesn't mean there is no love for Doom, it more symptomatic of the excitement for a new Magneto statue.

Additionally....there is no requirement that everyone love the Doom PF. I understand you own the piece, I understand it may retail on e-bay for $2-$3K...but that does mean everyone loves the Doom PF. You commented in your earlier post that "the original Hulk and Doom PF's are two grails that most collectors with the means seek out once in this hobby in order to complete their collection. Their prices on eBay reflect that fact." I am not going try and speak for most collectors, that is not my place. However, I am individual who has seen this piece, I have the means to purchase this piece, but I have no overwhelming desire to purchase this PF. Nor do I feel my collection is lacking because I do not have this PF. On the other hand, if I had to spend $2k+ to purchase Magneto in the secondary market I would seriously consider it. Fortunately I have Magneto on order.

That is the beauty of our hobby...we all have different tastes...and there is plenty of product out there for everyone to build their own unique collections. One man's / woman's grail...is another's average collectible.

I have to be honest...I don't know if I would expect folks to be displaying an overflowing amount of love for Doom in a Magneto thread. IMHO, that doesn't mean there is no love for Doom, it more symptomatic of the excitement for a new Magneto statue.

Additionally....there is no requirement that everyone love the Doom PF. I understand you own the piece, I understand it may retail on e-bay for $2-$3K...but that does mean everyone loves the Doom PF. You commented in your earlier post that "the original Hulk and Doom PF's are two grails that most collectors with the means seek out once in this hobby in order to complete their collection. Their prices on eBay reflect that fact." I am not going try and speak for most collectors, that is not my place. However, I am individual who has seen this piece, I have the means to purchase this piece, but I have no overwhelming desire to purchase this PF. Nor do I feel my collection is lacking because I do not have this PF. On the other hand, if I had to spend $2k+ to purchase Magneto in the secondary market I would seriously consider it. Fortunately I have Magneto on order.

That is the beauty of our hobby...we all have different tastes...and there is plenty of product out there for everyone to build their own unique collections. One man's / woman's grail...is another's average collectible.

Great post. Always very insightful and polite you are

yoda.jpg

To be clear I don't recall myself or others ever stating "Overflowing love for Doom or that everyone LOVE Doom" as an expectation in this thread.

I simply found it odd and unexpected that the downplaying of Doom to the point he doesn't merit a mention amongst the top 10-20 of SSC's best items is the norm amongst marvel statue collectors.

You mention not having any desire to purchase Doom for 2 or 3K whilst seriously considering (still not a given) Magneto for 2k. I have no issues with that.

Still I would be very surprised if marvel statue collectors in general felt Doom was "an average collectible" as you mentioned.

While I have no interest In the Doom PF, I would love to track down the original Hulk one day. That is a masterpiece.

While I thnk the original Doom is well worth the praise and the comparisons were bound to happen this is the Magneto thread, and we need to get back to the topic at hand .... Hemitgate 2014 :lecture. I kid I kid...LOL.

Last edited:
Magneto and Doom would look amazing together.

I think so too. I'll probably make a custom table with tea cup and pots and biscuits. Create a diorama of both mega villains just sitting and chilling with tea and biscuits :lol

One up on ebay for £1,155.96. You have to pay upfront though. Yeah your protection would be gone after 40 days. :lol

Back