XM Studios Daredevil

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, your Alex Ross comment makes no sense at all. Ross rarely feels the need to change what was great for years...Marvel Comics costumes and visuals of the 1960-70's have driven the industry for all these years. Those colorful concepts and designs can not be understated. No real need to change them or add your pretentious little details to improve (?) what the greats like Kirby, Romita, Wood, Ditko, etc. created. Sorry you and the Big Guy don't see that.

And second, the statue looks nothing like that drawing does of DD with a form-fitting costume. Heck, those togs and boots look like they were painted on...LOL But, hey, strap a shield to his back and put some webbing under the arms because you just can't leave well enough alone. Enjoy your $800 statue. :wave

Sweet ignorance.

Alan_Scott_Kingdom_Come_001.jpg

6004382922_150f8f7ff3_b.jpg

Batrobot-1.jpg

The only prick here is you. You don't even bother to read, you just spill around the same nostalgic bulls**t over and over again. I'm sure that when Marvel was dying the "colored visuals" really helped them avoid bankrupt.
And now Marvel is investing a s**tload of money in movies because people love spandex and colored diapers of course.
Move on, do yourself a favor and go cry in a corner babbling about the good ol' times.

Sweet ignorance.

View attachment 156068

View attachment 156070

View attachment 156071

The only prick here is you. You don't even bother to read, you just spill around the same nostalgic bulls**t over and over again. I'm sure that when Marvel was dying the "colored visuals" really helped them avoid bankrupt.
And now Marvel is investing a s**tload of money in movies because people love spandex and colored diapers of course.
Move on, do yourself a favor and go cry in a corner babbling about the good ol' times.

Mule, You're killing me man. You're making me defend BuzzyBean and I really don't like the guy.

In Kingdom Come Alex Ross gives reasons for the Costume Changes.
Green Lantern:
Forged his Lantern battery into Armor, making it a self-renewing power source he no longer wears a Green lantern ring.
Batman:
The Image you show isn't even Batman, but a drone he uses to guard Gotham because his body is so broken after decades of fighting crime he can not fully function in the regular Batman suit. Even further in the series Batman Dones the suit once again but it armored just so Batman is able to survive in it. Remember, he's one of the few who age like a normal human being.

What you didn't show is exactly how many Heroes in that series keep their costumes almost exactly the same as their Present day counter parts. i.e. Superman, Wonder Woman, Hourman, The Ray, Power Girl etc.etc.

And lastly, Ross also had this to say in an interview with Comicbook resources several years ago:

"Now, wasn't Magog a character created as a response to all those characters that were popping up in the early '90s?

Yeah. That's a character that Mark Waid invented that was really just put to me like come up with the most God awful, Rob Liefeld sort of design that you can. What I was stealing from was - really only two key designs of Rob's - the design of Cable. I hated it. I felt like it looked like they just threw up everything on the character - the scars, the thing going on with his eye, the arm, and what's with all the guns? But the thing is, when I put those elements together with the helmet of Shatterstar -- I think that was his name -- well, the ram horns and the gold, suddenly it held together as one of the designs that I felt happiest with in the entire series."

I'm starting to feel like I want to stick a nail in my eye.
Not sure if I'm not expressing myself clearly here, or what.
Everything you said, I already know (including the last paragraph, which cracks me up everytime).

I'll try to put it very, very simple: there is one guy who acts like a jerk blabbering about 70-80's style suits and how they are untouchable "because they are classics", I just pointed out that, when needed, authors took their time to rework the costumes.
Of course Alex Ross changed Batman's suit and gave him an exoskeleton due to circumstances - which is exactly my point. If a Daredevil lived today, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind having a pair of straps on his legs and some padding on his shoulders. I don't see anything Earth shattering into this.
Now, I agree that it COULD seem busy (then again, it's too early to judge imho, I'll wait to see it painted) and I agree that tighter pants could be better for realism's sake. These are points that DO make sense and it's worth talking about.
The attitude I cannot stand is the simple and cyclical "yadda yadda classic costume yadda yadda", especially when served with a side dish of name calling and jerkish behavior.

stgcc14xms-25.jpg

Subtract the shinguards, change the boots, and take away the "obvious Magneto stuff" and this is a pretty awesome Daredevil suit. More of what I would expect XM to put out as a "modern" take on the character's costume.

I'm starting to feel like I want to stick a nail in my eye.
Not sure if I'm not expressing myself clearly here, or what.
Everything you said, I already know (including the last paragraph, which cracks me up everytime).

I'll try to put it very, very simple: there is one guy who acts like a jerk blabbering about 70-80's style suits and how they are untouchable "because they are classics", I just pointed out that, when needed, authors took their time to rework the costumes.
Of course Alex Ross changed Batman's suit and gave him an exoskeleton due to circumstances - which is exactly my point. If a Daredevil lived today, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind having a pair of straps on his legs and some padding on his shoulders. I don't see anything Earth shattering into this.
Now, I agree that it COULD seem busy (then again, it's too early to judge imho, I'll wait to see it painted) and I agree that tighter pants could be better for realism's sake. These are points that DO make sense and it's worth talking about.
The attitude I cannot stand is the simple and cyclical "yadda yadda classic costume yadda yadda", especially when served with a side dish of name calling and jerkish behavior.

I'll agree that there was no need to call them...well whatever he called the XM artists. That's on him. But as you said, In circumstances their might be a need to change a costume because "Insert Reason". However, I maintain and this is the last time I'm going to say it, that since we're dealing with a blind Lawyer who doesn't make tons of money because he deals with a lot of low income clients and either makes his costumes himself or gets them made by reformed failed Criminal(the Gladiator, Melvin Potter) something tells me his stuff won't be state of the art and needs to be flexible to pull off the acrobatic moves he does. So the XM costume changes, just don't make any damn sense.

I'm eager to see the updates as they come, the SS version was such a massive letdown with the pose and birdcage perches for sticks.

I'll agree that there was no need to call them...well whatever he called the XM artists. That's on him. But as you said, In circumstances their might be a need to change a costume because "Insert Reason". However, I maintain and this is the last time I'm going to say it, that since we're dealing with a blind Lawyer who doesn't make tons of money because he deals with a lot of low income clients and either makes his costumes himself or gets them made by reformed failed Criminal(the Gladiator, Melvin Potter) something tells me his stuff won't be state of the art and needs to be flexible to pull off the acrobatic moves he does. So the XM costume changes, just don't make any damn sense.

In that sense, cargo pants do seem more "affordable" and "homemade" than custom fitted tights... but then again, with a dyed UnderArmour base layer, anybody can get a superhero suit now. What?! It's possible. :lol :lol :rotfl :rotfl

What I'm seeing on this and the one of the other forums is that you are not allowed to say anything in the negative about XM's statues. The ones that have preordered their statues or wish to preorder the statues defend them with such venom that it's impossible to have any sort of conversation with them.

I think XM has tapped into a need in some collectors. Their artists are obviously fans of the comic book genre, and as with comic books, some changes people like and others don't. I just wonder how many $800 - $1,200 statues these collectors can continually afford?

What I'm seeing on this and the one of the other forums is that you are not allowed to say anything in the negative about XM's statues. The ones that have preordered their statues or wish to preorder the statues defend them with such venom that it's impossible to have any sort of conversation with them.

I think XM has tapped into a need in some collectors. Their artists are obviously fans of the comic book genre, and as with comic books, some changes people like and others don't. I just wonder how many $800 - $1,200 statues these collectors can continually afford?

Nah, fans don't defend XM blindly. Fans have a unique opportunity to give feedback, and in the other forum, even to communicate directly with XM. So it would be good to keep it civil and not lose this opportunity. I see people rip ARH and I wonder how averone ever have that much patience. Critiques can be constructive and collaborative (submission contests). Or you can be satisfied with the SSC business model and have 5 mth delays with no explanations. And I can see the validity in that as a business model.

to some degree though, the fans are defending them blindly as most of the statues that have been previewed haven't even made it to the hands of a majority of collectors. and you just did it, by bashing SSC business model when that wasn't even mentioned in what i said. everybody has delays. EVERYBODY!!! if you want to talk that then Gentle Giant is the top of that list.

Nah, fans don't defend XM blindly. Fans have a unique opportunity to give feedback, and in the other forum, even to communicate directly with XM. So it would be good to keep it civil and not lose this opportunity. I see people rip ARH and I wonder how averone ever have that much patience. Critiques can be constructive and collaborative (submission contests). Or you can be satisfied with the SSC business model and have 5 mth delays with no explanations. And I can see the validity in that as a business model.

JEBUS some of you boys...lol. XM took some creative license with the outfit as they do with almost all of their sculpts. The degree to which they do depends n the style guide provided to them. Right now this looks fine to me, except MAYBE the pants n his right leg could be a little more fitted. Other than that this is awesome IMHO.

As for artists taking license to make changes. Well, they (we) all change little things here and there. Almost all characters have had changes done to their "classic" uniforms by various artists, because, well that is just what artists do. We fiddle with **** to make it look cool in our oppinion, and to have a little bit of "us" in each piece. I don't draw like Kirby or Ditko, so my Hulk and Spiderman look different, and have changes to them that are just my short hand. How much leeway I take depends on the piece I am working on and the reason for it. Honestly, you are fighting about artistic license. I am not saying you have to like it, he'll don't buy the piece, but artist will never stop adding their thing to a character. Heck it could just be the length of Batmans ears....lol.

All artists respect the classics, but we aren't shackled by them.

P.S. Ross has redesigned BOTH DC and Marvel worlds for future story lines. He respects the classics, but don't ever think he doesn't enjoy getting his design freak on...lol.

That's fine, it's your point of view and I respect it.

Not very much related, but I had to look into these kind of things once for a friend's cosplay, and I'll say that certain things are much cheaper than one can expect. Namely, steel-reinforced boots, military gloves with reinforced knuckles, heavy leather motorcycle jacket with padded shoulders, elbows and (on request) spine.
I think that a top notch custom suit (upper+lower) to fit Devil's needs would cost somewhere in the 1000$ range total.

...throwing it around just in case someone here is thinking of becoming a superhero :lol

It really depends on the argument, but just to give you an example: when XM showed the Black Widow's head sculpts, and people saw they were flawed, the community reacted and criticized them. Almost every WIP they post gets its share of comments, both positive and negative.
I can say that some arguments get tiring really fast, that's why harsher answers are given.

El Mule I respect everyone's point of view because that is theirs and I don't wish to change it. As an artist I am more discerning with my language on any artist's interpretation or style, as it can borderline be hurtful if not worded constructively. However, collectors focus on the negative comments and opinions of others and somehow personalize it as an attack on them. I have seen XM answer questions on the other forums. I don't care to be given a harsher answer from someone that is in no way related to the company that is producing the statue.

I could counter point that I do not like any of the head sculpts of XMs black widow. the statue from the neck down is perfection, but I think the head is too small.

You just cannot please everyone.

That's fine, it's your point of view and I respect it.

Not very much related, but I had to look into these kind of things once for a friend's cosplay, and I'll say that certain things are much cheaper than one can expect. Namely, steel-reinforced boots, military gloves with reinforced knuckles, heavy leather motorcycle jacket with padded shoulders, elbows and (on request) spine.
I think that a top notch custom suit (upper+lower) to fit Devil's needs would cost somewhere in the 1000$ range total.

...throwing it around just in case someone here is thinking of becoming a superhero :lol

It really depends on the argument, but just to give you an example: when XM showed the Black Widow's head sculpts, and people saw they were flawed, the community reacted and criticized them. Almost every WIP they post gets its share of comments, both positive and negative.
I can say that some arguments get tiring really fast, that's why harsher answers are given.

JEBUS some of you boys...lol. XM took some creative license with the outfit as they do with almost all of their sculpts. The degree to which they do depends n the style guide provided to them. Right now this looks fine to me, except MAYBE the pants n his right leg could be a little more fitted. Other than that this is awesome IMHO.

As for artists taking license to make changes. Well, they (we) all change little things here and there. Almost all characters have had changes done to their "classic" uniforms by various artists, because, well that is just what artists do. We fiddle with **** to make it look cool in our oppinion, and to have a little bit of "us" in each piece. I don't draw like Kirby or Ditko, so my Hulk and Spiderman look different, and have changes to them that are just my short hand. How much leeway I take depends on the piece I am working on and the reason for it. Honestly, you are fighting about artistic license. I am not saying you have to like it, he'll don't buy the piece, but artist will never stop adding their thing to a character. Heck it could just be the length of Batmans ears....lol.

All artists respect the classics, but we aren't shackled by them.

P.S. Ross has redesigned BOTH DC and Marvel worlds for future story lines. He respects the classics, but don't ever think he doesn't enjoy getting his design freak on...lol.

Oh come on Spidey,

Other World/Universe/Timeline redesigns aside, this is supposed to be Daredevil. Not Earth X Daredevil, Not House of M Daredevil, but Daredevil. And this is a bit beyond the length of his horns or a the treads on his boots. So people that may have wanted to buy Daredevil from XM and wanted something that looked like, well, Daredevil, are going to be disappointed. Even with my issues on their Hulk and Captain America, those are both classic designs, as is Magneto, Ant Man, Wolverine, Black Widow, Thor and Thanos. I really think this is first statue I've seen where the costume is completely outside the comics.

This is what happens when you have an 80 year old collecting statues, they just can't let go of the past....

80 years old? Sheesh...LOL

Besides based on all the posts I've seen from buzzybean he's just some old fart that wants to complain about everything, it's the whole "Damn you kids, get off my lawn" shtick :)

I didn't complain about the SS Daredevil PF. In fact, I love it! I own a ton of Sideshow stuff so I don't complain about everything but yeah, I like to give my opinion on stuff. I'm amazed at how many take it so personal. If XM designed this statue without all the belts and whistles (see what I did there) you guys would have liked it just as much because...there's no need to change what is great, successful and lasted for decades!

Sweet ignorance.

Alex Ross loves classic Marvel and more often than not stays true to the classic look of the characters. You can see that clearly in his work. If you don't see that than there's not much more I can say about it. The pic of Green Lantern in a completely different costume that was created I assume for a specific storyline, is a swing and a miss by you. Sorry.
And the Marvel bankruptcy thing was a whole different matter. It had nothing to do with "colored diapers". You're digging yourself into a deep hole and I'm afraid I'm all out of rope.

Basically whatever XM, SS, GG etc etc do not everyone will be happy with it. This statue has its critiques and well fair enough, hell some people just don't like XM which is fair enough, they have a style which for everyone and were all entitled to our own opinion but I'm sure XM will take in all the negative feedback and change a few things but still there will be people complaining no matter what they do. You can't please everyone sadly no matter who you are. A few tweaks and I will be really happy with this personally judging from the wip

Last edited:
Oh come on Spidey,

Other World/Universe/Timeline redesigns aside, this is supposed to be Daredevil. Not Earth X Daredevil, Not House of M Daredevil, but Daredevil. And this is a bit beyond the length of his horns or a the treads on his boots. So people that may have wanted to buy Daredevil from XM and wanted something that looked like, well, Daredevil, are going to be disappointed. Even with my issues on their Hulk and Captain America, those are both classic designs, as is Magneto, Ant Man, Wolverine, Black Widow, Thor and Thanos. I really think this is first statue I've seen where the costume is completely outside the comics.

Then they voice their opinion and see what happens. XM tends to listen. That or don't buy it.

Back