XM Studios Daredevil

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the pose, love the z-sculpt rendering! I don't mind giving modern, "life-like" elements to classic costumes but IMO this is a little too busy (my personal pet peeve is redundant emblems on a costume. In this case, apart from the iconic DD on the chest, XM had to add another DD on the belt. I don't dig this on some Batman designs. Also, Superman Returns LOL). It seems that since the dawn of Bryan Hitch's "life-like" redesigns for Avengers via The Ultimates as well as the popularity of Batman on the Arkham series games, designers for comics, toys, games, and movies seem to think that that is how it should be done. IMO it sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

I think it works best in movies, CG Animation and Video Games since the frames move fast and our eyes can only pay attention to so much detail at once. However for static media, it could be too busy for the eyes to appreciate. I noticed this on the commissioned art requests/original art sales. Old school costumes get the most requests and sales compared to movie/modernized costumes.

I also don't understand what's up with the base/building....what's the point of all those notches and weird lines?
base is basically a bunch of polygons at this point...looks like they'll be going with some kind of flying buttress from a cathedral wall

More muscles is exactly what he DOESN"T need. He's acrobatic, athletic, and agile and muscles contradicts that.

I disagree. Have you seen male Olympic gymnasts? Besides, I'm not saying make him bulky like Thor or Hulk. I'm saying DD needs to be a tad more muscular.

Compared to Quicksilver, DD should be as muscular or a tad more muscular than QS. Right now DD isn't.

IMG_498249896686538_zpsohkgeasu.jpeg

IMG_498252188130547_zpsnwvm0yiu.jpeg

10882130_1483391081881586_8350711048094848944_n.jpg

I think he could be a tad more ripped, if anything, not properly "muscular". A little more defined in the bicep/tricep area. He's also wearing a padded suit, while QS is wearing a skin tight suit, so I can see DD being less toned than QS.

Take away his billy clubs, give him a shield, stamp the letter A on his cowl, and you have Captain America the Winter Soldier. Way too much going on with his get-up. I'm aware that the same guy sculpted Magneto, Wolverine, Antman, Hawkeye, and now Daredevil, but the whole modernizing of the costumes and making these characters look like movie renditions is starting to get really old.

Straps, zippers, buckles, and suits looking like they're made of kevlar.....I really loved when they showcased Magneto and Wolverine looking like that, but it's just kinda lame now. I love XM and they're quality, but they need to steer clear of the "movie look". I still like Sideshow's Daredevil, and for under $400, I get to have the classic DD costume I love. Just hope he comes out problem free.

Just to add to my point, IMO the Koto Daredevil is a great example of capturing DD's physique.

057_1_zps95dbf13b.jpg

Take away his billy clubs, give him a shield, stamp the letter A on his cowl, and you have Captain America the Winter Soldier. Way too much going on with his get-up. I'm aware that the same guy sculpted Magneto, Wolverine, Antman, Hawkeye, and now Daredevil, but the whole modernizing of the costumes and making these characters look like movie renditions is starting to get really old.

Straps, zippers, buckles, and suits looking like they're made of kevlar.....I really loved when they showcased Magneto and Wolverine looking like that, but it's just kinda lame now. I love XM and they're quality, but they need to steer clear of the "movie look". I still like Sideshow's Daredevil, and for under $400, I get to have the classic DD costume I love. Just hope he comes out problem free.

Wow, now that I think about it he does have a Captain America vibe to him. I'm fine with modernizing outfits, but this direction they went just looks bad IMO. The straps on the hips....weird. The belt buckle.....weird. The boots and pants....just plain wrong. The perforated leather chest area....again, weird.

Modern artists who take the liberty of "redefining" classic costumes...LOL What a bunch of pretentious clowns. They like to change the spandex to something more "realistic" but there's nothing realistic about that costume. His togs and combat boots would weigh so much he'd be better off forgetting any rooftops romps and start thinking about taking a bus to his next fight.

Last edited:
Back