XM Studios Daredevil

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modern artists who take the liberty of "redefining" classic costumes...LOL What a bunch of pretentious pricks. They like to change the spandex to something more "realistic" but there's nothing realistic about that costume. His togs and combat boots would weigh so much he'd be better off forgetting any rooftops romps and start thinking about taking a bus to his next fight.

So your calling XM pretentious pricks? wow.... I guess the flip side to that is old farts need to stop living in the past and move into the present... :)

Would XM ever do Variants? I always preferred the Yellow Daredevil Costume.

XM said they will never do a variant, if they do another DD it will be an entirely new sculpt.

I think the new look is badass, I like all the details, adds a lot of character to the statue, if he wore plan spandex which has no details to it, would you really want to spend $800 for it? It would be very simple looking.... All the small details XM adds to their statues helps justify the price IMO.

Imagine if he was $1200 then. He'd need pouches galore, some swords, a huge gun and a jet pack. :lol

So your calling XM pretentious pricks? wow.... I guess the flip side to that is old farts need to stop living in the past and move into the present... :)

XM said they will never do a variant, if they do another DD it will be an entirely new sculpt.
Or maybe they could just sculpt the character the way he's supposed to be, considering they haven't added anything that makes sense in a rational way. They basically went image comics and added crap just to do so.

XM needs to stick to something more classic. Lose the extra armour and over the top boots.

Modern artists who take the liberty of "redefining" classic costumes...LOL What a bunch of pretentious pricks. They like to change the spandex to something more "realistic" but there's nothing realistic about that costume. His togs and combat boots would weigh so much he'd be better off forgetting any rooftops romps and start thinking about taking a bus to his next fight.

Your ignorance is astounding.
I don't see people like you complaining that Batman jumps through rooftops and fights acrobatic in his classic suit, which is heavy, padded, with combat boots, bladed gauntlets, has a belt full of gadgets and a freaking cape.
Yeah, let's tell that to that "modern artist" Alex Ross, how he dared to re-imagine classic costumes with a more modern vibe, he's totally a sucker. He should have known that in the 2000 and counting year superheroes are still supposed to wear panties on their tights.

Let's put this nostalgic bulls**t aside, I'll repost it just for the sake of it:

daredevil_by_uncannyknack-d68e5v0.jpg

Yeah, totally ugly design by a pretentious prick that dared to redefine a classic costume. It totally sucks.

:wave

That's a great post El Mule. I don't see a problem with this DD at all. I actually love it

But this is why I don't understand the XM or SS fanboyism. If you don't like the XM DD you can buy the SS version or visa versa

The more options the better IMO. If money wasn't an issue I would definitely buy both

That's a great post El Mule. I don't see a problem with this DD at all. I actually love it

But this is why I don't understand the XM or SS fanboyism. If you don't like the XM DD you can buy the SS version or visa versa

The more options the better IMO. If money wasn't an issue I would definitely buy both

Exactly , it is clear that XM has to make some changes to this statue, but for me is a must have, some people can not belittle the work of XM. If someone does not like this statue then they have to buy the SS.

I don't see people like you complaining that Batman jumps through rooftops and fights acrobatic in his classic suit, which is heavy, padded, with combat boots, bladed gauntlets, has a belt full of gadgets and a freaking cape.
Yeah, let's tell that to that "modern artist" Alex Ross, how he dared to re-imagine classic costumes with a more modern vibe, he's totally a sucker. He should have known that in the 2000 and counting year superheroes are still supposed to wear panties on their tights.

Let's put this nostalgic bulls**t aside, I'll repost it just for the sake of it:

View attachment 155947

Yeah, totally ugly design by a pretentious prick that dared to redefine a classic costume. It totally sucks.

First off, This is an Alex Ross Daredevil
Daredevil-1-Ross-Variant-faa18.jpg

Second, If you know anything about Alex Ross, it's that he has great respect for the classic versions of all the characters and their Costumes.

And third, even in the image you posted, 1. The boots are not as clunky as the XM statue, 2. The pants are still tights. and 3. There are no unnecessary buckles or armor. That costume is more believable for someone who is going to Back flipping off buildings.

Oh, by the way, Batman gets by with grapple guns and gadgets Jumping from roof top to Roof top, Daredevil doesn't have the luxury of being a billionaire.

Looks like he has silk pajamas on....

Anyways I'm sure XM will tweak their DD and tone down the pants some, maybe even the boots but I hope they don't change it much.

This Daredevil looks awesome, love all the details, belt buckles, and the top half, but I wish his legs/pants would continue
with the top half design- more form fitting. This is their version and not just a hand drawn classic design from 30 years ago of a simple spandex custume wtih no details or using other artists' designs.
With the advancement of technology, computer sculpting/design, and digital printing, these tools will help artists accomplish what they imagine with a lot of details. Just imagine artists from 30 years ago with these tools and technology, all these comic character designs would be so different.

I love the imagination and creativity that XM and it's artists have done to the to these comic characters,
adding their own unique details and flare to their design and not using designs from other artists. This what an
artist or a company needs to do and not do what's done in the past or they no longer call artists but just copycats.

View attachment 155947

And third, even in the image you posted, 1. The boots are not as clunky as the XM statue, 2. The pants are still tights. and 3. There are no unnecessary buckles or armor. That costume is more believable for someone who is going to Back flipping off buildings.

Oh, by the way, Batman gets by with grapple guns and gadgets Jumping from roof top to Roof top, Daredevil doesn't have the luxury of being a billionaire.

by the look of those gloves, Matt must do a lot of dishes

I hear what you are saying and seeing in that picture Mule, but Josh pretty much sums it up in the bold section above. Your pic you posted still has a "tight, form fitting" aspect to it that the XM piece doesn't have so far. In fact, the XM Magneto suit has more in common with that picture than their Daredevil. The textured suit has realistic, more modern seams and panels, yet it's still a tight, form fitting suit that an athlete would wear. Just add on the better designed boots that pic has and then I think they'd be onto something.

That's the route I was hoping they'd take. So far, the suit is over complicated and bulky IMO, and nothing like the picture you posted.

I agree that the pants could be tighter - it doesn't disturb me as they are now, but have them tighter could be an improvement. I posted that pic because, if you watch closely, it does have a lot going on. In that pic, Devil has another strap on his right leg, plus his suit has a lot of streams and there is indeed some padding on his shoulders. But once everything gets painted and shaded in red, all these added details can blend in just fine and avoid the "overly busy" look many seem to fear. If the painted mock up will look off or too busy, I'll be the first to voice my disappointment, but so far I think we're missing some elements to judge.

Also, with the Alex Ross reference, I clearly referred to his Kingdom Come Batman - he's been a master of the classic designs, yes, but he didn't step back when he wanted to imagine how a future superhero would look. And the "future" he was imagining is our present.
Calling an artist "a prick" just because he tries to translate a style into something more contemporary is extremely ignorant and denotes a lack of vision. Reminds me of those who bashed the Sideshow Mythos line at first because "it isn't exactly what we saw on screen" and yadda yadda, boring.
An artist has the right to experiment, and let's not forget that these designs are ultimately approved by Marvel. Stagnation is something to avoid, imho.
Also, always keep in mind that if superheroes comics are now living a second life is not thanks to the "classics" being reproposed again and again and again, it's thanks to the movies that gave a boost to superheroes' image and brought them into contemporary society.
To block any attempt of updating a design just because "there already is the classic" is an ignorant attitude in my books, especially if it involves calling "prick" an artist on a bunch of rough polygons.

The thing that bothered me the most about his post was his prick comment. You should look at yourself before pointing that out in others.

View attachment 155947

Yeah, totally ugly design by a pretentious clown that dared to redefine a classic costume. It totally sucks.

First, your Alex Ross comment makes no sense at all. Ross rarely feels the need to change what was great for years...Marvel Comics costumes and visuals of the 1960-70's have driven the industry for all these years. Those colorful concepts and designs can not be understated. No real need to change them or add your pretentious little details to improve (?) what the greats like Kirby, Romita, Wood, Ditko, etc. created. Sorry you and the Big Guy don't see that.

And second, the statue looks nothing like that drawing does of DD with a form-fitting costume. Heck, those togs and boots look like they were painted on...LOL But, hey, strap a shield to his back and put some webbing under the arms because you just can't leave well enough alone. Enjoy your $800 statue. :wave

First, your Alex Ross comment makes no sense at all. Ross rarely feels the need to change what was great for years...Marvel Comics costumes and visuals of the 1960-70's have driven the industry for all these years. Those colorful concepts and designs can not be understated. No real need to change them or add your pretentious little details to improve (?) what the greats like Kirby, Romita, Wood, Ditko, etc. created. Sorry you and the Big Guy don't see that.

And second, the statue looks nothing like that drawing does of DD with a form-fitting costume. Heck, those togs and boots look like they were painted on...LOL But, hey, strap a shield to his back and put some webbing under the arms because you just can't leave well enough alone. Enjoy your $800 statue. :wave

This is what happens when you have an 80 year old collecting statues, they just can't let go of the past.... Besides based on all the posts I've seen from buzzybean he's just some old fart that wants to complain about everything, it's the whole "Damn you kids, get off my lawn" shtick :)

Last edited:
Back