XM Studios Comic Thor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think it would be the opposite, SS is a much larger company then XM so it should easier for them to take the loss and redo a statue more so then a small company who has a lot smaller budget.

The way I look at it personally is that SS is ran by bean counters where as XM is ran by artists so their priority's are defiantly different. Hopefully XM never changes...

The resources SS expends on R&D costs to develop a prototype are likely much larger than XM. IMHO the higher R&D costs as an overall percentage of revenues, the more difficult it is to scrap a project and simply start over. Those "losses" that you believe SS should be able to absorb can start to add up quickly. Business that do not adequately control their R&D / project costs find themselves with a negative bottom little and generating little to no cash flow.

While currently there may be more of an artist influence controlling the existing management structure at XM, that will change if they want to grow the company. That is not to imply that artistic vision will not be a guiding force at XM, but you need those bean counters as the company's operations begin to expand. Over the years I have seen many good, viable companies implode because the owners did not want to bring on a Controller, CFO, or employ the services of a good CPA.

Nonetheless....I think we both can agree it is nice to buy product from a company who listens to feedback from their customers. A few months ago, I knew who XM Studios were...but I really wasn't paying attention. I am paying attention now!! I currently find myself with pre-orders for at least 4 XM pieces and actively cutting my SS pre-orders. :)

You know, I was thinking the samething. I thought he needed only a few tweaks until I saw this pic.

2.jpg

This pic tells a different story. His neck, right shoulder and left arm, at the very least, needs an overhaul. Now I think it's best that Eric redo this statue.

Aaargh my eyes another Liefeld sculpt!

The resources SS expends on R&D costs to develop a prototype are likely much larger than XM. IMHO the higher R&D costs as an overall percentage of revenues, the more difficult it is to scrap a project and simply start over. Those "losses" that you believe SS should be able to absorb can start to add up quickly. Business that do not adequately control their R&D / project costs find themselves with a negative bottom little and generating little to no cash flow.

True but in this case were talking about 1 statue not 30 of them... The fact SS won't even redo 1 statue (IE: CR Superman PF or Jean Grey for example) tells me they care very little of what their customer base thinks.

This statue is so ugly. There other stuff has been great.

XM used a sculptor that primarily sculpts for SS, so what do you expect? I ked I ked, Although you have to admit this does look like something SS would sell... IMO :)

I believe Eric Sosa is going to redo the XM Thor statue from scratch so no worries...

XM used a sculptor that primarily sculpts for SS, so what do you expect? I ked I ked, Although you have to admit this does look like something SS would sell... IMO :)

I believe Eric Sosa is going to redo the XM Thor statue from scratch so no worries...

It's actually true. Cipriano (has done several projects for SS) did this Thor. Hand sculpted. To his defense though he also sculpted Rogue, Gambit, and the original Vampriella Comiquette. He must have been drunk when he worked on XMS Thor :lol

It's actually true. Cipriano (has done several projects for SS) did this Thor. Hand sculpted. To his defense though he also sculpted Rogue, Gambit, and the original Vampriella Comiquette. He must have been drunk when he worked on XMS Thor :lol

Lets not forget he did SS Red Sonja too. He also sculpted the beautiful reelarts Frazetta Conan vs Snow Giants dio. He has been and is currently working on the ARH Frazetta 1/4 Huntress. Maybe he was into too much at the same time? :dunno

I see this wasn't corrected:

They REALLY need to fix that right shoulder. The deltoid isn't connected to the chest and deltoids, if normal, are supposed to be connected to chests.

The arm needs to move up so that the line separating the bicep and deltoid runs flush with the chest. This will also give him an armpit. Otherwise this will be the "Severely Dislocated Shoulder Thor" Statue.

Hopefully with the redo of this that much will be corrected.

2.jpg

Tony C had the sculpt down at this early stage minus some work on the right arm and shoulder

5aduvabe.jpg

Somewhere along the line he simply lost the sculpt, and unlike digital sculpting you can't simply go back to a previous version.

:lol :lol :lol

Oh man Tavegg.....why did you have to mention that? One of the all time worst statues in the history of statues. Not because Tony sculpted it...but because it was the most god awful pose to go with for a statue. Gambit ready for action....and that airhead Rogue with her head in the clouds. What up with that?

Oh man Tavegg.....why did you have to mention that? One of the all time worst statues in the history of statues. Not because Tony sculpted it...but because it was the most god awful pose to go with for a statue. Gambit ready for action....and that airhead Rogue with her head in the clouds. What up with that?

Yeah but he wasn't responsible for the pose the art department was. When properly painted Rogue is an AMAZING statue.

True but in this case were talking about 1 statue not 30 of them... The fact SS won't even redo 1 statue (IE: CR Superman PF or Jean Grey for example) tells me they care very little of what their customer base thinks.

Very true. They could have nailed their future products if they listen and apply some of the positive critism :dunno

Yeah but he wasn't responsible for the pose the art department was. When properly painted Rogue is an AMAZING statue.

I strongly disagree with this. That pose is just god awful to me. I come at these statues from the standpoint of do the statues represent the amazing ability of a character (this is why I will always prefer dynamic poses to museum ones). What the hell does that SS Rogue pose represent? What is she doing? And then what makes it worse....her eyes are looking into the clouds? Why? What's the purpose of that.

Like I stated before, Rogue was not terrible due to Tony C sculpting it. It was HORRIBAD because the AD was piss poor to begin with. Just the absolute worse pose for Rogue in statue form. This to me outside of Venomsaurus is the absolute single most horrible MARVEL statue I've ever seen. Its that bad to me....I mean just absolutely detestable to the highest artistic level.

Now the ROUGE COMIQUETTE, even though I did not buy it was a well done statue. At least it showed something representative of her powers (superhuman strength). That was actually one of the coolest female statues SS has done. Love the base design with her busting through the wall.

But ROGUE PF.....bleh! This is also why I can't stand the Harley Quinn PF by SS (still yet to sell out....I wonder why). I prefer the DC Direct Harley (pose wise) far more than the DC one.

ON top of that...the butt sculpt changed for the worse (not that its too important in a statue...seeing how people come in all shapes and sizes). I actually ordered and received the Rogue PF...but quickly returned it for a full refund due to the painting issues on her face (googlies) and on her yellow part of her suit, but also when I put it together...I just thought it was so boring and dull. Keep in mind...this was during my just buy most SS stuff in PF format. I have to actually thank SS, for that....my collecting habits forever changed for the better. Not settling for less!

I strongly disagree with this. That pose is just god awful to me. I come at these statues from the standpoint of do the statues represent the amazing ability of a character (this is why I will always prefer dynamic poses to museum ones). What the hell does that SS Rogue pose represent? What is she doing? And then what makes it worse....her eyes are looking into the clouds? Why? What's the purpose of that.

Like I stated before, Rogue was not terrible due to Tony C sculpting it. It was HORRIBAD because the AD was piss poor to begin with. Just the absolute worse pose for Rogue in statue form. This to me outside of Venomsaurus is the absolute single most horrible MARVEL statue I've ever seen. Its that bad to me....I mean just absolutely detestable to the highest artistic level.

Now the ROUGE COMIQUETTE, even though I did not buy it was a well done statue. At least it showed something representative of her powers (superhuman strength). That was actually one of the coolest female statues SS has done. Love the base design with her busting through the wall.

But ROGUE PF.....bleh! This is also why I can't stand the Harley Quinn PF by SS (still yet to sell out....I wonder why). I prefer the DC Direct Harley (pose wise) far more than the DC one.

ON top of that...the butt sculpt changed for the worse (not that its too important in a statue...seeing how people come in all shapes and sizes). I actually ordered and received the Rogue PF...but quickly returned it for a full refund due to the painting issues on her face (googlies) and on her yellow part of her suit, but also when I put it together...I just thought it was so boring and dull. Keep in mind...this was during my just buy most SS stuff in PF format. I have to actually thank SS, for that....my collecting habits forever changed for the better. Not settling for less!

Don't want to turn the thread into a Rogue thread, but Rogue is my favorite X-Men character. So I should be a fair critic. I don't think the SS PF is the most horrible statue out there. It had some issues, but I ended up getting one with the butt redone and repainted in addition to the regular one I purchased. I am quite happy with both. It doesn't necessarily represent Rogue demonstrating all her power, but truthfully, it's refreshing just seeing her depicted for her beauty. It gets tiring seeing her with a grimace on her face all the time, ALWAYS looking like she wants to destroy something. Maybe the EX eyes shouldn't have been looking skyward, but big deal. To me, it's an overall win.

Lets not forget he did SS Red Sonja too. He also sculpted the beautiful reelarts Frazetta Conan vs Snow Giants dio. He has been and is currently working on the ARH Frazetta 1/4 Huntress. Maybe he was into too much at the same time? :dunno

:goodpost::exactly:

Sometimes when you've got too much going on and the stress builds up drinks are in order:lecture

Tony is renowned for his work and has proved in the past to be one if the best. Just didn't translate into XMs Thor unfortunately

Tony C had the sculpt down at this early stage minus some work on the right arm and shoulder

5aduvabe.jpg

Somewhere along the line he simply lost the sculpt, and unlike digital sculpting you can't simply go back to a previous version.

Agreed!

Tony didn't draw the concept art brother. But if you ask me he absolutely nailed it. Other then the lame X bases these are actually two of my favorite SS PFs. Especially Gambit. Even if XM does one the SS version is never leaving my collection. I like em both but it's all good brother. We all have our own distinct tastes and preferences
1882415-sideshow__gambit_and_rogue_by_monk_art_d3jgcwb.jpg

It's all good T and Spidey and Rjszar....this is just how I felt about the Rogue when I got mine. Different strokes for different folks. Btw...the Rogue Comiquette I thought nailed both beauty and strength. The AH Rogue was a nicely done one...it was just 1/5 and that at the time was no no for me.

Back