Megalopolis (May 17, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kind of in the boat with Jye, except I have seen all of Coppola's work including Apocalypse Now (multiple times of the different versions), and for me, I can live without them. Are they undeniable? Yes. But I don't really care for them.

And like Jye, I love (or should I say "loved" - because I pretty much hate it now) cinema. I'm finding more gems in foreign films now - not because I want to, but it's literally the only place where the craft still exists. I watched the Danish film The Promised Land with Mads Mikkelsen, last night and thought it was a great film, but 99% of Hollywood films these days are so vapid, I'd rather beat my dick with a hammer than watch them.

Saying that, I was hoping Megaflopolis would have been good because he wasn't going to be bound by idiotic executives, but it sounds like he's pulled a Lucas on the prequels and had a bunch of bobble-headed yes men surrounding him telling him everything is wonderful.

Mess...

Can’t take it with you. Might as well spend it on Hookers, blow and a complete bonkers Matrix knockoff.

And never seeing Apocalypse Now? Srsrly?

Ewww lol

Damn you went right off that cliff with an anvil and no parachute!

I don’t care about cinema?

Wut…chill yo! :rotfl

I literally have seen every major movie that moved cinema forward one way or another from the very best American, French, Asian and Latino directors starting from the 1930’s but because I missed ONE SINGLE movie, that being Apocalypse Now, I now don’t care about cinema,

I appreciate Wilder, Truffaut, Lean, Fleming, Camus, Fellini, Hawks, Kubrick and Kurosawa just as much as anyone else but I also appreciate Pizza, Hot Dogs and Hamburgers!

Apocalypse Now literally is my one giant sized cinematic hole that I never felt the urge to correct. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (maybe there are others :horror)

I made Cannibal Campout for crying out loud I am all about cinema lol

Apologize now or I will send you a copy of Cannibal Campout tell em Wor-Gar he’ll be sorry lol
Oh, I see.
Well, since both Apocalypse Now and the Godfather movies are among the most critically acclaimed, and you stated that you didn't care for them while stating that you preferred a Punisher movie, I suppose I might be forgiven for thinking you were not into that type of cinema. But all good man, happy to be proven wrong. :duff
Still, there's no excuse for not caring for Apocalypse Now or the Godfather movies. :lecture

I'm kind of in the boat with Jye, except I have seen all of Coppola's work including Apocalypse Now (multiple times of the different versions), and for me, I can live without them. Are they undeniable? Yes. But I don't really care for them.

And like Jye, I love (or should I say "loved" - because I pretty much hate it now) cinema. I'm finding more gems in foreign films now - not because I want to, but it's literally the only place where the craft still exists. I watched the Danish film The Promised Land with Mads Mikkelsen, last night and thought it was a great film, but 99% of Hollywood films these days are so vapid, I'd rather beat my dick with a hammer than watch them.

Saying that, I was hoping Megaflopolis would have been good because he wasn't going to be bound by idiotic executives, but it sounds like he's pulled a Lucas on the prequels and had a bunch of bobble-headed yes men surrounding him telling him everything is wonderful.

Mess...
I'm waiting for that one to open here. Did you like it? It sounds very interesting and has some very good reviews on top.

And regarding Coppola, having watched a lot of documentaries and behind the scenes on Apocalypse Now, it seems to me that Coppola is actually very open to collaboration and listens to the opinions of others. Also, on the Megalopolis press conference, he repeatedly mentioned how Driver had input on editing the movie, as one example of how this was a collaborative effort.

Anyway, none of that means Megalopolis will be a great or even good movie, but I don't understand why this negative attitude is being pushed, like people want the movie to suck and fail. It's an odd set of expectations towards one of the most important filmmakers of the last few decades.

Oh, I see.
Well, since both Apocalypse Now and the Godfather movies are among the most critically acclaimed, and you stated that you didn't care for them while stating that you preferred a Punisher movie, I suppose I might be forgiven for thinking you were not into that type of cinema. But all good man, happy to be proven wrong. :duff
Still, there's no excuse for not caring for Apocalypse Now or the Godfather movies. :lecture
I feel like I am so far removed from AN that it’s just not worth watching because I am now influenced by every other war movie that came afterwards.

It’s like having missed watching Psycho then watching The Exorcist AND THEN going back to watching Psycho is definitely not going to cut it anymore lol

Right now in my life it’s all about the cameos in Deadpool and Wolverine you know cinema 2024 lol

I feel like I am so far removed from AN that it’s just not worth watching because I am now influenced by every other war movie that came afterwards.

It’s like having missed watching Psycho then watching The Exorcist AND THEN going back to watching Psycho is definitely not going to cut it anymore lol

Right now in my life it’s all about the cameos in Deadpool and Wolverine you know cinema 2024 lol
I guess that depends on how you view old(er) movies.
For example, I watched The Warriors before Clockwork Orange, and I still found Clockwork Orange amazing (without that meaning that I didn't like The Warriors anymore). I must've seen a dozen Dracula movies before I ever saw the original Nosferatu of 1922, and I still loved it; silent movie and all. I watched Star Wars (consciously) before 2001: A Space Odyssey, and that didn't mean I found 2001 slow or boring...

I agree that some older movies can be tough to sit through, but if they are good, they usually remain good, despite changes and advances in taste, technique, acting, music, etc.

And I have nothing against modern cinema. Movies like The Zone of Interest absolutely blow my mind, but I certainly enjoy big blockbusters.

And I certainly don't want to push you to watch Apocalypse Now, with so many people telling you it's great, you're probably going to hate it even more. :lol

I'm waiting for that one to open here. Did you like it? It sounds very interesting and has some very good reviews on top.

And regarding Coppola, having watched a lot of documentaries and behind the scenes on Apocalypse Now, it seems to me that Coppola is actually very open to collaboration and listens to the opinions of others. Also, on the Megalopolis press conference, he repeatedly mentioned how Driver had input on editing the movie, as one example of how this was a collaborative effort.

Anyway, none of that means Megalopolis will be a great or even good movie, but I don't understand why this negative attitude is being pushed, like people want the movie to suck and fail. It's an odd set of expectations towards one of the most important filmmakers of the last few decades.
Yup, great movie. If you can track it down it's definitely worth a watch. But bare in mind it's all character; no big Hollywood action stuff anywhere to be seen.

As for Megalopolis, I believe I said I was hoping for it to be good, but there's clearly an undeniable amount of reviews that are scattering, to say the least, so I have zero expectations now.

Yup, great movie. If you can track it down it's definitely worth a watch. But bare in mind it's all character; no big Hollywood action stuff anywhere to be seen.

As for Megalopolis, I believe I said I was hoping for it to be good, but there's clearly an undeniable amount of reviews that are scattering, to say the least, so I have zero expectations now.
That wasn't directed at you or anybody in particular, it's just the mood I've seen lately online.

Looking forward to watching The Promised Land.

I don't know if the rumors are true but Coppola would behave inappropriately on the set :

“He allegedly pulled women to sit on his lap, for example,” reads The Guardian report. “And during one bacchanalian nightclub scene being shot for the film, witnesses say, Coppola came on to the set and tried to kiss some of the topless and scantily clad female extras. He apparently claimed he was ‘trying to get them in the mood.'”

Crew members told The Guardian that Coppola “would often show up in the mornings before these big sequences and because no plan had been put in place, and because he wouldn’t allow his collaborators to put a plan in place, he would often just sit in his trailer for hours on end, wouldn’t talk to anybody, was often smoking marijuana … And hours and hours would go by without anything being filmed. And the crew and the cast would all stand around and wait. Then he’d come out and whip up something that didn’t make sense.”

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/francis-ford-coppola-set-behavior-megalopolis-crew-1236002649/

Back